recoil reduction options

i just thought that i didnt see a whole lot out there on recoil reduction options, so i thought id make a guide of some sort to try to help people looking for options. mabye other people would be willing to contribute their knowledge, and we can expand this into a useful list of information. i dont want this to turn into a debate over people being sissies or things like "its not a bb gun", or criticism of people looking for ways to reduce recoil. i want it to stay as a list of options and peoples opinions on them. ill try to start it off with what i know, please add to it.

BCG to frame buffers:

example: Buffer Technologies AK/Valmet/Galil Recoil Buffer

muzzle brakes:

example: tromix monster brake

recoil pads:

example: limbsaver large grind to fit

springloaded buttplates: these are uncommon, so i dont really know what to call them.

example: Ken Rucker's Bump Buster ™ Hydraulic Recoil System - Heavy Duty

recoil reducing stock:

example: Mako GL-Shock AR-15/M4 Collapsible Stock with Shock Absorber

i just thought this was particularly well suited for saigas:

example: enidine shot shock

midbarrel compensators:

example: firebird midbarrel comp

mercury recoil absorber

you can also polish the inside of the action, making for smoother operation. a couple forum venders offer this service.

please add your knowledge to this.

Edited by yooper14
Links to non-contributing vendors removed

I admire your inspiration and desire to help others. However, there are a few problems.

1. You're not allowed to link to nonbusiness members websites.

2. Recoil buffers are primarily used to protect the gun not your shoulder.

3. Recoil shock absorbers like the Bump Buster, Mako GL-Shock and enidine tend to cause an S-12 to cycle improperly.

4. You pretty much covered all of the options, so theirs not much left to add.

Your best bet is the Tromix limb saver or some type of brake.

Well, I used the recoil buffer and the utg slip on cut down to allow a large grind to fit limbsaver to be glued on to it and it works great for me! I know its alittle pricey (45 dollars total on mine & worth every penny to me) but it really works for me on the nato length kvar stock from CSS! I guess you could get one of those magnum plus shoulder pads that is worn by the shooter. I would like to have a good muzzle break also, but I will soon be getting a polychoke, barrel nut, and a new puc from CSS, so I guess the muzzle brake goes on #2 when acquired! However, you did do a good job!

Edited by Guns Are Great

ok, thank you for the edit and the info, i wont repeat the mistake. i also have edited the post again to include polishing the internals. and i have some questions too; can you lengthen the forcing cone? and would the chrome lining prevent the drilling of ports in the top of the barrel? i personally am interested in possibly lengthening my forcing cone. as far as some options causing cycling problems, i figured drilling out the gas ports would compensate, so i listed the options anyway.

Edited by yooper14

I put a Romainian wire folding stock, meant for the AK47 on my S-12, with a standard grenade launcher recoil pad, and it does not bother me at all anymore. It cut recoil by 50% or more (just my guess) The first time I shot my s-12, I had shoulder bruises from stock form after about 100 rounds. After putting on the wire stock, I shot 345 rounds of 00Buck in one setting with no problem, no bruising, and the shoulder felt fine the next day. It looks ugly, but it works for me. No cutting of the tang - it bolted right up.

thanks for sharing the experience, thats a great looking gun. im glad to hear someone whos used the mako stock. i believe that having a muzzlebrake also helps with the bolt cycling, because the brake pulls the gun forward, preventing the stock from compressing as far as it would, so more of the energy makes it to the bolt. if somebody wanted to go really nuts, they could put the enidine shot shock and a recoil pad onto a similar setup to yours, with the mako stock and muzzlebrake, and i can only imagine how light the recoil would be, but i would hate to know how large the gas ports would be, and i wonder if the backward-forward movements of the gun would prove to be problematic to control. thanks a lot!

You also have the option of a C&H mercury tube. Cobra sells them or will modify some furniture to fit them.

They are available in several sizes and weight combinations. it's a feature that costs about $200 on a Benelli, or $40 on your Saiga.

• 10 months later...