Which to get : Romanian PSL or a Russian Tigr?

I really love my PSL, and it's my go-to rifle if I don't know what I want to do that day, whether messing around or heading to the range.

Always fun when you can plop down with an oversized AK and actually beat the accuracy or a lot of other rifles out there. I just evened up the crown on mine, and it'll out-shoot me regardless of the range.

Was kind of hard to sight in because with a 25 yard zero it was about a foot and a half high at 100.

vqjxb5.jpg

2vjpfdk.jpg

I think it's an attractive looking rifle as well. Managed to get the action so flawlessly smooth I still have trouble believing it's an oversized AK. That being said, if I had $2000 or $2500 and could find a tigr I'd snatch it in a heartbeat even if I was eating ketchup and bread for a few months. For now though, I don't believe there's a functional difference, I just want an Izhmash in x54r.

someone correct me if im wrong but if i remember right then zeroed out at 25 meters = 300meters and at 100 it should be around 16cm above.since you were doing it at yards instead of meters it sounds about right. :super::killer:

20 m = 200 m

The PSL has a lot going for it. It has an auto bolt hold open, the muzzle brake and spring-loaded butt really reduce felt recoil, great accuracy (unless you're heating up the barrel significantly), and the ammo is cheap. The only negative is the lack of availability of good match grade ammo. Good shooters with 7n1, tailored handloads, or those lucky enough to have a surplus ball ammo that works well, can do surprising things with them.

It is also not much to look at. Best to admire one from a distance. They look rough, and often require a few hundred rounds for break-in.

I remember being torn between purchasing a Tigr or a few pistols for my 21st B-Day in the mid 90's. The pistols won, and years later I searched for the Tig again only to find them in collector status with collector prices. The Tigr and Drags are in a different class. Though the capabilities are very similar, the Russian guns are works of art in comparison. The PSL feels like a big, dressed-up AK, while the Izhmash guns are sleek and sophisticated.

It's all good, the PSL fills my void for an AK and a com-bloc style sniper rifle.

somewhat off topic, but there is sort of a third choice....if you want something a little better than a PSL, but still much cheaper than a Tigr theres always the M76, kind of in between in cost too, shoots 8mm mauser though.... I just wanted to mention it lol, I've been thinking about getting one for a little while now but the funds elude me

I searched cant find a lot of info on m76 does anybody have one to tell about.

somewhat off topic, but there is sort of a third choice....if you want something a little better than a PSL, but still much cheaper than a Tigr theres always the M76, kind of in between in cost too, shoots 8mm mauser though.... I just wanted to mention it lol, I've been thinking about getting one for a little while now but the funds elude me

I searched cant find a lot of info on m76 does anybody have one to tell about.

Same thing (stretched AK action) different round and better build ,but I'll stay with my PSL

Hey guys I just found a cai psl sporter kit... what's that? He said it is a 2.5 moa in average, Nd it comes with rhinhardt wood and an IOR scope.... what kind of scope is that.

Take it ease man, read this email that my friend received

"We had a few guns without glass. They were about $429.00 - The real price will be about $720 when the new guns arrive, this spring. I expect them to have Romanian Receivers and BBs, but we will know better when they arrive."

S

Steve Stanko

Century International Arms

* NEW DIRECT NUMBER

1-561-908-7130

1-800-527-1252 EXT 314

1-800-999-4899 EXT 314

1-888-731-9555 ext 4

www.centuryarms.com

stanko@centuryarms.com

So maybe you should wait a little and get Rom. PSL in a month or so?

I would call him and get in line

Good luck

Edited by atakacorp

Well what's the difference in a psl and a psl sporter?

From PSL forum

PSL-54C:

*All parts made by Cugir (dunno if this is a good or bad thing) Good thing.

*Threaded barrel w/ muzzle brake attached Yes, usually a spot weld that is easy to remove. I've heard of them being pinned also.

*No chrome-lined barrel Where did you hear this? I've never heard of the Cugir builds coming with anything other than a Romanian chrome-lined barrel.

PSL: "Sporter"

*Nodak Receiver

*Pin-on brake (boooooo) The one I had briefly (and by mistake) had a brake on a threaded barrel, not welded or pinned.

*Chrome-lined barrel Yes, but it is a US made barrel of unknown origin and quality.

Seems like they each have good and bad points. I'm mainly looking for one that will last and is more accurate. Suggestions?

Get the Romanian build. It is generally considered to be higher quality (though I haven't heard enough feedback on the US build to know for certain).

The gun looks good to go and so does the stuff Ive read about it. I think I may go with the sporter, he is saying its a 2-2,5 MOA gun depending on ammo.But he hasnt shot any of the good stuf yet neither..

edit: Where is said PSL forum?

Edited by MrOneEyedBoh

I thought that the 2.5 isnt bad for a psl..

"FWIW, the minimum acceptable accuracy for an SVD (according to the Russian 1PN34 manual) is 3 out of 4 shots in an 8cm circle at 100 meters. 8cm is about 3 1/8 inches. So 3 out of 4 in a 3 inch circle at 100 yards would be the minimum acceptable accuracy for a PSL. the manual says turn it in for repair if it won't do that." -Gunboards

So that would make that guns accuracy at a 2.5" circle at 100yds. right?'"

He was saying that he can get 2.5 moa with crap ammo, silver tip is 2 moa and and the other good stuff wolf gold and 7n1 he never shot.

Edited by MrOneEyedBoh

I thought that the 2.5 isnt bad for a psl..

"FWIW, the minimum acceptable accuracy for an SVD (according to the Russian 1PN34 manual) is 3 out of 4 shots in an 8cm circle at 100 meters. 8cm is about 3 1/8 inches. So 3 out of 4 in a 3 inch circle at 100 yards would be the minimum acceptable accuracy for a PSL. the manual says turn it in for repair if it won't do that." -Gunboards

So that would make that guns accuracy at a 2.5" circle at 100yds. right?'"

He was saying that he can get 2.5 moa with crap ammo, silver tip is 2 moa and and the other good stuff wolf gold and 7n1 he never shot.

PSL is not SVD,and PSL some times preforms better with the cheap surplus ammo than with the Russian sniper(made fir SVD ammo),so when you get yours try different ammo and you will see what is the beast for her,some PSL like Polish,Ygo some CHZ and Bolgarin,Russian,and again its a guy behind the trigger what matters,just shoot it,get use to it and it wont disappoint you :killer::super:

Why most people prefer Rom maid PSLs? is matching parts and not pinned muzzle brake,so if you are ok with that, get a sporster. But remind the guy that he selling a used gun,so may be he will give you a discount :smoke:

Edited by atakacorp

thanks man

its a sporter with rhineland wood ( the svd style )and extramag and a scope for 600 shipped.Not bad IMO .

It hasa NoDak receiver right? Arent they sometimes better than romanian ones? Idont care much for matching numbers.

here are the pictures of the gun

http://imgur.com/a/fsQLl#LnF5R

What do you think?

Edited by MrOneEyedBoh

You cant say batter or worse , its little bit of luck, I have 1967 old girl and I wont sell her,ever,she is a shooter,I know guys with newer 2000 and up rifles that are not very happy with them, so its a gamble like 80 to 20, that you will get a dissent rifle,so sporster looks good but again you will know after 200 rounds , good luck man and welcome to the club :super:

You can't go wrong with the PSL. After replacing the heavy, gritty trigger with an RSA adjustable and switching to an 8X Russian PSOP scope I've really enjoyed mine.

Also just finished replacing the Muzzle break with an AAC 51T Muzzle break. Unfortunately though, I'm still waiting for AAC to finish building the 762SDN6 suppressor that will attach to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the battle-zero for x54R is 20m/200m, but ~16" high at 100 yards is way too high. Should be about 3" high at 100, according to http://www.handloads.com/calc/ , using a 150gr, .310" spitzer bullet at 2700fps.

I have a PSL and it shoots nicely (~1.5moa) with the crappy romanian trigger. A Tapco G2 is going in tonight, we'll see how she shoots as soon as it dries out.

If I had $3000+ sitting around burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy the Yugo M76. 8mm Mauser flies better than 7.62xanything, much better ballistic coefficient, and carries more energy.

• Like 1

I think the battle-zero for x54R is 20m/200m, but ~16" high at 100 yards is way too high. Should be about 3" high at 100, according to http://www.handloads.com/calc/ , using a 150gr, .310" spitzer bullet at 2700fps.

I have a PSL and it shoots nicely (~1.5moa) with the crappy romanian trigger. A Tapco G2 is going in tonight, we'll see how she shoots as soon as it dries out.

If I had $3000+ sitting around burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy the Yugo M76. 8mm Mauser flies better than 7.62xanything, much better ballistic coefficient, and carries more energy.

AGREED!!! and relatively cheap 8mm is still floating around from time to time, of course if you can shell out three grande for a rifle I suppose ammo prices isn't as much of a concern.....but I digress lol