Tromix Charging Handle (Bolt On)

When it comes to weapons I am a pretty simple guy, who likes simple designs. I have had my S12 for about 3 years now and have done my own work on it and enjoy it. I have been tossing around the idea of trying the Tromix bolt on Charging handle for awhile now and finally ordered it. I must say that this piece makes your weapon alot easier to use, and it is simply installed. I've tested it thorougly and it works without a problem. I don't see any reason why the handle would function any other way if properly installed. To those guys having problems with it, why don't yall measure the lowest point of the saddle of the charging handle, and then align the set screw with it that way. Simple. I installed it WITHOUT Loctite just to see if it would fail, and it hasn't. I'ts as sturdy as the day I installed it. Just a suggestion, but I wanted to give me 2 cents on how effective and well made this part is. Thank you for an excellent product.

Yep! A good performer and a great idea!

I really like the fact that it helps me avoid macerating my big hand on the selector when rapidly working the bolt!

• 4 months later...

When it comes to weapons I am a pretty simple guy, who likes simple designs. I have had my S12 for about 3 years now and have done my own work on it and enjoy it. I have been tossing around the idea of trying the Tromix bolt on Charging handle for awhile now and finally ordered it. I must say that this piece makes your weapon alot easier to use, and it is simply installed. I've tested it thorougly and it works without a problem. I don't see any reason why the handle would function any other way if properly installed. To those guys having problems with it, why don't yall measure the lowest point of the saddle of the charging handle, and then align the set screw with it that way. Simple. I installed it WITHOUT Loctite just to see if it would fail, and it hasn't. I'ts as sturdy as the day I installed it. Just a suggestion, but I wanted to give me 2 cents on how effective and well made this part is. Thank you for an excellent product.

Look, I love the thing, but as I've said in other threads about this thing.....it isn't always great at staying on. And yes, I've made sure it's on correctly, It still came loose. Next, I used locktite. It still came loose. Then, I used a drill and drilled the charging handle a bit, put more locktite on, and it STILL comes loose.

Love it. It's still on my gun. But don't sit there, tell me to measure (when I did just that), and call it "simple". Maybe I got a bum one....who knows.

If your handle is coming loose, you did not follow these directions COMPLETELY. You tried a shortcut somewhere, figuring it would be good enough.

Did you use #262 Red Loctite?

Did you install it with the carrier installed in the gun?

Did you clean out all the old loctite that was not #262 when you didn't follow the directions the first time?

Did you have a large 4.5" allen wrench or some other shorter 2.5" wrench?

Since you said you installed it correctly, how 'bout posting a pic of your can of contact cleaner, bottle of #262 Loctite, and a 4.5" allen wrench.

The reason I mention this, is that you think you are just posting "your experience", but in reality you are making a post that is going to turn away customers from this product because you didn't follow the installation instructions.....and I am going to defend that.

Tony

Installation Instructions-

1. Run the set screw completely through the handle, until it drops out into the center bore. That will ensure that screw is not stopping on any foreign debris left over from sand blasting.

2. Clean and degrease both the threads in the handle and the set screw with contact cleaner and allow to dry completely.

3. Apply red #262 Loctite to BOTH the set screw and the threads in the charging handle.

4. With the bolt carrier installed in the receiver, slide the Tromix handle over the OEM handle and start the set screw. Slowly turn the set screw inward as you wiggle the handle in order to allow the set screw to find the "sweet spot" in the saddle of the OEM handle.

5. Using a large 4.5" long allen wrench, hoss that screw down until you think it's about to break. It won't.

• Like 2

I can attest to this.

I get quite a few of these bolt on charging handles in the shop on carriers that I'm doing mods to & they're seriously hard for me to remove if installed correctly.

They're on there so good that using a Snapon socket mounted hex-key on a 10" ratchet wrench with the carrier in a vice, I still can't get them off without stripping the set-screw or my socket mounted hex-key if I don't heat up the loctite.

Just went through that the day before yesterday...

Again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look, I love the thing, but as I've said in other threads about this thing.....it isn't always great at staying on. And yes, I've made sure it's on correctly, It still came loose. Next, I used locktite. It still came loose. Then, I used a drill and drilled the charging handle a bit, put more locktite on, and it STILL comes loose.

Love it. It's still on my gun. But don't sit there, tell me to measure (when I did just that), and call it "simple". Maybe I got a bum one....who knows.

Huh? Am I missing something? I don't recall having a conversation with you about how your charging handle fits or doesn't fit. I don't really see how measuring the middle of the handle with the set screw isn't "simple". It's incredibly simple! Then all you gotta do is wiggle the thing on back and forth if necessary, until it seats. I was simpy giving advice on the product and how it worked for me, and some advice to help install it. It seems that everyone that has a problem with these do not fully install them on the charging handle where the set screw is in the deepest part of the saddle. Once the loktite is used I don't see how they would come off. I've installed 2 of these and they fit the same way on both S-12s. Now I'm not dismissing the fact that what you're saying is true, but I'm sure that you overlooked something during installation. Did you try to install the thing with the set screw already in? Because that could cause it to not want to go all the way down. Or maybe your charging handle is out of spec who knows. These guns are all different. However, I still don't see the point in your post. Other than your angry at me for getting it work properly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

^Cool pics, thanks for posting those.

The answer is straightforward: If the screw is tightened down on the lowest part of the curve, and the screw is loctitied so it can't back off, then there is no way the the handle can loosen.

If it loosens, then you didn't have it all the way in the lowest part. The mechanics of this are very simple.

The answer is straightforward: If the screw is tightened down on the lowest part of the curve, and the screw is loctitied so it can't back off, then there is no way the the handle can loosen.

If it loosens, then you didn't have it all the way in the lowest part. The mechanics of this are very simple.

Saw you you put them on Facebook.

Sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw you you put them on Facebook.

Sweet!

Big thanks to you buddy.

• 1 month later...

Just put one on my Polish Tantal and it looks great... unfortunately no one around here sells or even knows wtf red loctite threadlocker is eyes_droped.gif so I used permatex red threadlocker instead...if it doesn't work then I'll just order loctite online lol...but great product, fits well and looks/feels great the_iron_man.gif

• 1 month later...

I have one on the way from CSS for the MAK. The S-12 came with one which pretty much sold me on it, kinda like having the right knob for your stick shifter. Tony seems adamant about 262 thread locker but I wonder, how is 262 different than 271? I have a brand new tube of 271.....hmm, after some research it seems that the two are close spec-wise.

Done and Done. Got the piece today and installed per instructions. What a difference such a small thing makes.

Edited by Squishy