Picked up an AR today. Store near me builds with Spike parts and sells for a good price. I'm not an AR fan but I figure unfair of me to have such a critical opinion of them without owning one and giving it a fair chance.. Bit irritated as it's near the most money I've spent on a single gun and I could have got something I'd prefer, but I want to be fair and this is a really popular rifle many people swear by. Anyway, thing didn't come with a rear sight and I'm an irons kind of guy. What do yall recommend? I'm looking for something solid and reliable. Price isn't a problem if it's worth the extra money- I have a crappy red dot slapped on it until I have the funds.

I have a standard carry handle and a RRA tactical carry handle the tactical is a very nice sight if you prefer irons but sometimes want to use a red dot. Heres a pic of the RRA tactical.

post-21226-0-05613300-1300228460_thumb.jpg

Also good choice on a spikes tactical I have 3 rifles and 1 pistol I build myself the spikes tactical AR's are very nice guns and are as good if not better than a higher priced gun. My wife has a S&W M&P15X and it is not as nice as the ST.

• Like 1

The biggest differance I found between the AK and AR is a AK you can beat all day and do nothing to it the AR you have to keep it well lubed and cleaned and some brands of ammo don't like the AR its not like the AK that will eat anything you will feed it. I have AR's because when the SHTF there will plenaty of parts,mags and ammo around but if I have to leave home and can only take one rifle my AK-74 is what I am taking.

• Like 1

yeah, if all hell broke loose I'm taking a 47 with some 8m3 ammo.

But I'm also building a .223 ak to take AR mags just for compatability since I own an AR now.. and since I found a good quality wasr-3 for 300

another thought on SHTF.. Yeah AR parts would be more available, but the AK wouldn't need em. Ammo and mags is a different issue.. guess .223 aks are good in that respect.

edit: btw is it normal for spike AR's to have heavy triggers from the factory? it may be non standard since the store builds em but I'm thinking it's probably typical for spike lower recievers?

Edited by volkov

Are you looking for a folding sight or fixed?

If fixed, I'd take a look at Troy Industries and Daniel Defense. AIMSurplus has both of them in stock and they both have free shipping: $66.45 for the DD and $62.00 for the Troy. You can't go wrong with either. Both are top notch companies.

If you're looking for a quality folding sight, the price goes up quite a bit. Or you can always pick up a Magpul MBUS rear folding sight. It's polymer, and as much as I love and trust Magpul stuff, I'd only personally use them as true back-up iron sights to a rifle/carbine that's wearing a red dot or scope as the main sight. That's just me, though. AIMSurplus also has those in stock with free shipping for $55.05.

They also carry a few other pricier options, too.

EDIT: I have a LaRue fixed rear sight, but last I saw, they go for about $80. Not worth the extra $20 over the DD and Troy, IMO though. Still a great sight.

Edited by -Shooter-
  • Like 1

I have a standard carry handle and a RRA tactical carry handle the tactical is a very nice sight if you prefer irons but sometimes want to use a red dot. Heres a pic of the RRA tactical.

post-21226-0-05613300-1300228460_thumb.jpg

Also good choice on a spikes tactical I have 3 rifles and 1 pistol I build myself the spikes tactical AR's are very nice guns and are as good if not better than a higher priced gun. My wife has a S&W M&P15X and it is not as nice as the ST.

I have the RRA tactical carry handle on one of my ARs. Co-witnesses fine with an Aimpoint Comp M3 in an Aimpoint low mount. I also have a set of GG&G folders that are really nice on another. The front post is Tritium and the large/night aperture on the rear has Tritium inserts. Just like optics, quality equals more cash though. As much as I like Magpul stuff, the concept of plastic iron sights doesn't pass the taste test for me.

• Like 1

yeah, plastics a no go, for me irons need to be there as long as the rifle is still functioning. Ty for the suggestions guys.. debating on flip up or not as I'm not really a red dot type.. I think they're fun range toys but I'll take irons any day.

so far I'm really like the RAA, troy, and dd.. But leaning towards troy and DD (again, I'm not sure I like red dots enough to throw extra money/weight on it)

edit: one more question.. What ammo? Hear AR's don't like certain things.. Like lacquer or some casings. Stuff aimsurplus sells would be a plus if I go with the daniel defense which I'm leaning toward

Edited by volkov

edit: one more question.. What ammo? Hear AR's don't like certain things.. Like lacquer or some casings. Stuff aimsurplus sells would be a plus if I go with the daniel defense which I'm leaning toward

Spikes is supposed to be pretty high quality, so it shouldn't have a problem running anything you throw in it. I've run cheap Ruskie ammo through my BCM's and it's always gobbled it up and asked for more. I like the Prvi that AIM carries. I'd also like to try out some of the Silver Bear they have. I haven't tried that stuff yet. It's dirt cheap and from what I read, people seem to like it. It usually sells out pretty quick on AIM's site.

• Like 1

yeah, guy I bought it from specifically said not to buy silver bear... But maybe it was so I'd load up on some overpriced winchester at his store..

Well- if the AR doesn't eat it, the WASR will! wolf's the cheapest aim has but I'm not sure what to think of it.

the Prvi I'll definately give a chance when I recover from how much I just spent.. until then it's cheaper ammo

yeah, guy I bought it from specifically said not to buy silver bear... But maybe it was so I'd load up on some overpriced winchester at his store..

Well- if the AR doesn't eat it, the WASR will! wolf's the cheapest aim has but I'm not sure what to think of it.

the Prvi I'll definately give a chance when I recover from how much I just spent.. until then it's cheaper ammo

That's funny that he specifically advised against Silver Bear. You're probably right though, maybe just him trying to get you to buy his stuff.

Maybe you can pick up a few boxes of each from AIM and try them out.

But yeah, definitely try the Prvi when you can. My buddies department uses Prvi in their M4's for training and they all love it. I went over to his house before he left for a weeklong SWAT class, and he had about 4K rounds of Prvi .223 for the class. I almost blew a nut in my pants. :lolol:

Edited by -Shooter-
  • Like 1

A lot of people and organizations like to make the ammunition a condition of your warranty; that is, fire steel-case Silver Bear or Wolf in it, and your warranty is void. Some sort of irrational paranoia about the interaction between extractors and steel cases. My own M4 (Bravo Co.) has fired a handful of rusty, dirt-covered Wolf .223 picked up off the ground at the range and had zero problems firing and cycling them (besides one misfire.)

Regarding sights, I don't know what to tell you, other than the obligatory "if you buy cheap shit, all you'll have is shit." I had a stand-alone A4 rear sight made by NCstar, cost me $30 and wouldn't clamp down tight on the rail, lots of forward-and-back play. I got a plain old Colt M4 carry handle (actual Colt manufacture) off eBay for $50 and it works just fine. The only stipulation is that I had to take it apart and clean the sand out of it after it made its trip back from Iraq. I agree with Shooter on the Daniel Defense and Troy sights, they are known for good quality and the sights do look pretty nice.

In terms of reliability and how good your rifle will be: there is better quality stuff out there than Spikes but they aren't bad, and there's a LOT of much worse quality stuff available. I give your pick an 8.5 out of 10. :) I have only one question: what kind of buttstock do you have? If it's a fixed M16 rifle type stock, you'll have zero problems. If it's a collapsible/telescopic carbine stock (which I assume it is because no one likes fixed stocks anymore) take a look at your recoil buffer. If it doesn't say H3 on the face, you should replace it with one that does* (Bravo Company sells them for about $40); you won't regret it - that's the key to making your rifle run reliably. (Please oh please don't buy into the gas piston conversion kit bullshit!)

*And yes, I consider Spike's ST-T2 buffer to be not heavy enough.

-Katemonster

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster
  • Like 3

A lot of people and organizations like to make the ammunition a condition of your warranty; that is, fire steel-case Silver Bear or Wolf in it, and your warranty is void. Some sort of irrational paranoia about the interaction between extractors and steel cases. My own M4 (Bravo Co.) has fired a handful of rusty, dirt-covered Wolf .223 picked up off the ground at the range and had zero problems firing and cycling them (besides one misfire.)

Regarding sights, I don't know what to tell you, other than the obligatory "if you buy cheap shit, all you'll have is shit." I had a stand-alone A4 rear sight made by NCstar, cost me $30 and wouldn't clamp down tight on the rail, lots of forward-and-back play. I got a plain old Colt M4 carry handle (actual Colt manufacture) off eBay for $50 and it works just fine. The only stipulation is that I had to take it apart and clean the sand out of it after it made its trip back from Iraq. I agree with Shooter on the Daniel Defense and Troy sights, they are known for good quality and the sights do look pretty nice.

In terms of reliability and how good your rifle will be: there is better quality stuff out there than Spikes but they aren't bad, and there's a LOT of much worse quality stuff available. I give your pick an 8.5 out of 10. :) I have only one question: what kind of buttstock do you have? If it's a fixed M16 rifle type stock, you'll have zero problems. If it's a collapsible/telescopic carbine stock (which I assume it is because no one likes fixed stocks anymore) take a look at your recoil buffer. If it doesn't say H3 on the face, you should replace it with one that does* (Bravo Company sells them for about $40); you won't regret it - that's the key to making your rifle run reliably. (Please oh please don't buy into the gas piston conversion kit bullshit!)

*And yes, I consider Spike's ST-T2 buffer to be not heavy enough.

-Katemonster

I agree on the shitty quality stuff, and have personally experienced exactly what you just described on NCSTAR, but on one of their scopes- that was the last time I bought cheap. The butstock is a magpul collapsible... to go with the ugly ass magpul handguard I intend on throwing out as soon as possible. The recoil buffer is the ST-T2, I'll try the h3 when I can, it's out of stock. As far the piston bullshit- I'm a diehard piston guy, that's why I bought this rifle, to test my opinion. (I hate having opinions without at least understanding and testing what the other guys say) No pistons will be used on it, I'm given an honest effort to make myself a good direct impingement rifle.

Also I've gone with the daniel defense rear sight, should be here soon. Unfortunately between it, the ammo, and the mags it's the last thing I'll be doing to this rifle before the next paycheck.

Funny thing is, a WASR-3 I put money aside for a while ago is being delivered this weekend- they will probably get tested together.

Edited by volkov
  • Like 2

I agree on the shitty quality stuff, and have personally experienced exactly what you just described on NCSTAR, but on one of their scopes- that was the last time I bought cheap. The butstock is a magpul collapsible... to go with the ugly ass magpul handguard I intend on throwing out as soon as possible. The recoil buffer is the ST-T2, I'll try the h3 when I can, it's out of stock. As far the piston bullshit- I'm a diehard piston guy, that's why I bought this rifle, to test my opinion. (I hate having opinions without at least understanding and testing what the other guys say) No pistons will be used on it, I'm given an honest effort to make myself a good direct impingement rifle.

Also I've gone with the daniel defense rear sight, should be here soon. Unfortunately between it, the ammo, and the mags it's the last thing I'll be doing to this rifle before the next paycheck.

Funny thing is, a WASR-3 I put money aside for a while ago is being delivered this weekend- they will probably get tested together.

Props to you for testing the platform yourself. :super:

• Like 1

While now due to can't see shit vision I've gone to more and more optics on whatever I'm shooting with, in the good ol' days what I found sights made for shooting at a man sized target doesn't work as well as it could on smaller targets. Started using a smaller aperture to improve the sight picture on even the $30.00 / $40.00 standard combo carry handle rear sight really helps.

post-26137-0-86434300-1300383022_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-00879900-1300383042_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 1

As far the piston bullshit- I'm a diehard piston guy, that's why I bought this rifle, to test my opinion. (I hate having opinions without at least understanding and testing what the other guys say) No pistons will be used on it, I'm given an honest effort to make myself a good direct impingement rifle.

Thank you for restoring a little bit of my faith in human intelligence! :lol: I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Like 1