Shooters in the Great Plains

So there isn't anything here in the Central section yet so I thought I'd get a topic started.

I'm from Northeast Kansas, besides just a few people I've known previously and a couple I've met through the forums, I don't know too many people who like to go shooting. So where does everyone go out to go plinking at? Because there is a severe lack of good ranges in my neck of the woods.. And also what type of shooting do you enjoy? So where are all my fellow midwestern shooters at and are there any awesome ranges hiding out there amongst the fields and sticks? :killer:

PM me if anyone in the area would like to meet up and go shooting. it's always fun to meet other locals who enjoy any kind of shooting sports, doesn't seem to be enough of us around here. :lol:

For me I usually shoot in Junction City at Godfrey's indoor range. 25 yard range but you can shoot up to I believe a .338 Federal so it'll handle about anything you wanna take. I mainly just shoot my SGL21, Saiga 7.62 and a few pistols, once in a while I'll take a shotty out to make confetti with.

Edited by Echomaker

where are all my fellow midwestern shooters at and are there any awesome ranges hiding out there amongst the fields and sticks?

Up here in Iowa that's where I do all of my shooting, amongst the fields and sticks. Ranges don't like my cheap surplus ammo.

I'm in Omaha, NE. We have one indoor range (The Bullet Hole in La Vista, NE, part of metropolitan Omaha just not in the city limits), but I do most of my shooting at state recreation areas, usually ~45 minute or greater drive in a westward direction.

• 1 month later...

Which state rec areas do you shoot at? I'm from Lincoln and I got kicked off the blue rock range at pawnee- I was using my saiga 12 responsibly but they said I was intimidating the other shooters- I didn't even talk to the other shooters!? Some of the trap&skeet ranges don't like my S 12 either. I think It's just because they haven't seen one before and it looks like an assault weapon. So mostly I shoot on private land.

Usually go to Bramble not too far from Fremont. Can't remember exactly where it is in terms of directions, I just know how to get there from Fremont once I'm out there. There's a decent berm near the river, and the farmers in the area don't seem to mind the gunfire, including full-auto stuff. Never had the sheriffs called out there.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

As of right now I live in Lincoln Nebraska. I live only 5 minutes away from Pawnee state lake rec range and 15 minutes away from Branched oak state lake rec range. It does not cost anything to use the range as long as you have a state park sticker on your vehicle. I started shooting clays out there for about a month now with no problems. I think the best time to go is in the mornings during the week. I have the whole range to myself and no one gets scared of my S12.

• 3 months later...

I'm in NW KS, sounding off to say thank GOD that I have so much farmland that I don't have to abide by range/club rules, especially when that 20 round drum gets clipped in.

New forum member, new Saiga 12 owner. I got my Saiga about 2 months ago and did all my own work to the thing to make it compliant AND reliable. Being my second gun ever, and my first semi-auto, I gotta say I love this Saiga 12.

I won't disclose my exact locale in forum, but if anyone in NWKS wants to get together for some tandem Saiga shenannigans, I'm down for a meet and greet.