arsenal slr-95 in wood

Wow. I love that gun.

Yakdung

I got one years ago for $300 from someone who did not know what he had. He owed me money and I did not know the value either. I love it, but it looks alot better with wood. Mine is still stock in the box. I can't get over how much better it looks with that wood.

Nice look deadeye,

Curious if you considered adding a lower tang for more of the original appearance - if so, why or why not?

A while back, I picked up a SLR95MB and about to finish up some blonde bulgy wood for it. Plan to have the lower tang installed.

I also want to get the "correct" Bulgy gas block and front sight assembly on it but havent yet confirmed exactly which parts that needs to be. Ive noticed that a lot of folks have done these up as Russian clones but I want to stick with the original Bulgarian look.

Have you researched, and/or made any other front end changes to yours? (I couldnt quite see from the pics)

My "MB" model has the muzzle break welded on - how about yours?

Thanx in advance for whatever info you can be helpful with.

Cheers,

Harv

EDIT: Thanx for the info deadeye !

Edited by HarvKY

Nice look deadeye,

Curious if you considered adding a lower tang for more of the original appearance - if so, why or why not?

A while back, I picked up a SLR95MB and about to finish up some blonde bulgy wood for it. Plan to have the lower tang installed.

I also want to get the "correct" Bulgy gas block and front sight assembly on it but havent yet confirmed exactly which parts that needs to be. Ive noticed that a lot of folks have done these up as Russian clones but I want to stick with the original Bulgarian look.

Have you researched, and/or made any other front end changes to yours? (I couldnt quite see from the pics)

My "MB" model has the muzzle break welded on - how about yours?

Thanx in advance for whatever info you can be helpful with.

Cheers,

Harv

I did not need a lower tang I just used a lag bolt and square custom cut washer in the back of the reciever. It isint going anywhere super strong and cheap. the front is the way I bought it I think it is the original. nothing on the end someday maby thredding it and flash hider.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I like seeing this kind of stuff. What species of wood and finish did you use?

The wood is wallnut with 4 cotes minwax pollyurithane satin then sheen wax. I did not wnt it too glossy that is why I went satin

• 7 months later...

post-9518-1237355455_thumb.jpgWhere are you I know of a source neer my house of some dried and cured wallnut also I have a fiew pieces left. I paid $30 bucks for some chunks enough to make a couple sets.

The pic is a thumbhole that I made for my 308 out of madrone

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

deadeye - That rear stock you have pictuted in post # 14 on the .308 Siaga is definately a Classic One Of - and I really like it. I am inspired to try something similar.

I see a sign in the box below my picture outline that says "warn status" - and I am courious as to what that means as I didn't choose it as an Avatar, and I haven't the vagest idea what this means. However,if it is a Badge of Honor I'll take it.

I think the warn status is for the mods to tell you that they are warning you for breaking rules. I plan on converting the 308 some time so I will have to rebuild some new stuff. I am working on a retainer for the forgrip that goes on the front pin and has a sling stud that screws in. does anybody have any ideas?

bloodshot - Thanks for the reply. I also enjoyed viewing what you did with your SLR 95. Regarding the "warn status" - I actually typed in my comments on that matter in a "new post" and submitted it and it suddenly appeared with my post in # 15, when I clicked the post option. I was addressing the viewers and moderators at the time. Was just courious, as that has appeared several times in the past when I posted, even though my comments on this particular forum are entirely benign and only orientated toward AK related matters, unless the subject itself is not AK's. The "warn status" by the way, has suddenly "done away".

Again, great photo's of your rifles.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! I've been finding some nice wood and skilled woodbutchers on this site, I wish it was all in one thread. I wasn't in a rush to convert my 12 but after seeing some of the furniture you guys are making my parts are ordered. I had about 2000 bf of maple sawn last summer, one of the trees gave me a 32" burl, but that can't be touched for a few yearsunhappy.gif . I also put about 200' of maple in an unstickered stack under a tarp in an attempt to spalt it (no mold yet) before getting it to the kiln. Now I keep dreaming about a spalted maple thumbhole stock this year and a solid burl bullpup in about 5 yearsred_heart.gif , I'm gonna have to pick through my dried stuff or buy a blank for now. Any of you woodworkers have any opinions on the use of burl regarding strength and durability? I'm wondering if the sporadic grain will take the repeated abuse . If anymore of you have built your own please post em, these are greatbig_smile.gif , thanks.

I atempted one with a burly piece of madrone. It broke off at the reciever. the grain was going the wrong way. you realy need to pay atention to the grain of the wood in that area. burls are neat looking just kinda unpredictable

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...