Stripper clip loader for Saiga 308?

Hey folks. I have 2 AK's and a Saiga 12. The more that I'm looking at these Saiga 308's, the more I'm wanting one. But I'm a Bullet Head and have to have as many reloads as possible. I'm wondering if anyone makes a stripper clip loader that works with the 308 stripper clips. I live for stripper clips and love the whole concept. I really do not prefer the Lula loader because it is too slow at 1 round at a time. Stripper clips allow me to re-charge an AR-15 mag or an AK-47 mag in less tha 10 seconds with a stripper clip loader. I want the ability to do the same with 308. Can any of you wonderfully educated gentlemen help me please? Thanks to all.

Thanks BVamp. I have a pound of 308 stripper clips that I use to store for my Remington 700 in 308. I found a loader made by NCStar that works for ; M-14, AR-10, G-3, HK-91, M1-A1, and FN-FAL all of which are straight box mags and this is a straight loader. I'm wondering if it will work on the curved, banana shaped factory mags, Surefire mags and CSS mags? I would just hate to buy the loader and 3 different magazines just to see if it works. Because if it does, great! I can buy a Saiga 308 and convert it. If it doesnt work, then I have to go through the pain in the butt of returning stuff. But I may just have to do that. Thanks to all, as usual.

Thanks BVamp. I have a pound of 308 stripper clips that I use to store for my Remington 700 in 308. I found a loader made by NCStar that works for ; M-14, AR-10, G-3, HK-91, M1-A1, and FN-FAL all of which are straight box mags and this is a straight loader. I'm wondering if it will work on the curved, banana shaped factory mags, Surefire mags and CSS mags? I would just hate to buy the loader and 3 different magazines just to see if it works. Because if it does, great! I can buy a Saiga 308 and convert it. If it doesnt work, then I have to go through the pain in the butt of returning stuff. But I may just have to do that. Thanks to all, as usual.

Well heck I guess I'll order one and see if they fit our mags...

I think they should work. However with our current design it would probably be wise to load the first two manually.

Mega thanks to csspecs to going to bat for the Saiga nuts. I myself have ordered the NcStar loader, 1 Saiga 8 rd factory mag, 1 Surefire 20 rd mag and a CSSpecs 20 rd mag. I will be using 10 round M-14(M1A1) stripper clips with the loader on all 3. And I will indeed let all know the results. It's actually my roomdaog who's doing all this for me. I'm ordering all this stuff and he's doing all the experimenting. I'm in Kuwait and planning to buy more toys when I return home to the good ole USA. Thanks to all again for looking, reading and suggesting on my strange quest for knowledge of bullets and magazines. :killer:

OK just came in.. Yes the loader will work, but you will need to alter the loading mechanism to fit the magazines as they are longer then the loader allows for. A pocket will need to be cut into both the front and back of the loader mech to allow the magazine to fully seat within it.

I'll post pictures of the mod once I get it totally figured out.

Not the cleanest, but the plastic is kinda gummy and plugged my files.. The over cuts are because I am using this on saiga, vepr, galil, and valmet magazines. Just trim until feed lips stop level inside the device. Oh and no need to load the first two manually, it works fine loading from empty.

post-2952-0-50270700-1352955355_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-70713600-1352955358_thumb.jpgpost-2952-0-82843800-1352955361_thumb.jpg

Unending thanks to CSSpecs!!! Went out of his way to test a product for all to see and learn from. An absolute leader. I will be buying a Saiga 308, do the conversion and buy nothing but CSSpecs magazines for it. His determination and hard work is something you just don't see in the business world anymore. I salute you, sir. From Kuwait on behalf of everyone.

• 1 year later...

OK just came in.. Yes the loader will work, but you will need to alter the loading mechanism to fit the magazines as they are longer then the loader allows for. A pocket will need to be cut into both the front and back of the loader mech to allow the magazine to fully seat within it.

I'll post pictures of the mod once I get it totally figured out.

Not the cleanest, but the plastic is kinda gummy and plugged my files.. The over cuts are because I am using this on saiga, vepr, galil, and valmet magazines. Just trim until feed lips stop level inside the device. Oh and no need to load the first two manually, it works fine loading from empty.

th_PICT0113.jpgth_PICT0112.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm looking for a speed loader to save my fingers. The pics don't show any more... is this still the only option for a loader with the S308? Or has anything else come out?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm looking for a speed loader to save my fingers. The pics don't show any more... is this still the only option for a loader with the S308? Or has anything else come out?

I havent heard of anything specifically designed for the S308. you could do what he did, by using the NcStar .308 loader, modify it to fit over the mag locking studs

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I have not tried loose, keepshooting has clips as well.

I have better than 1000 rounds in clips.

I can load up a 20 round mag in less tham 10 secounds.

Edited by RED333

Yeah, I have a stripper loader for my AR, and it's nice since a lot of ammo I get is already on strippers - and it is fast. But I'm not too thrilled about loading loose ammo onto the strippers, then load the mag.

Wonder if anyone has tried to modify a FAL or M1 Lula loader...

ETA: interesting... Texas AK Designs is making an adapter to use AR-10 mags for the Saiga...

Me: You guys going to make an adapter for the .308 Saiga to use AR-10 mags by any chance?

Them: Yes we are... After thanksgiving we are looking into production of a .308 version

Edited by SwissyJim

Sorry cleaned a bunch of the old files from my photobucket account. The mod was kinda a chop job to see if it worked at all.. My opinion is the poly loader is a little over sized for what it does, and since none of my ammo comes on clips its actually slower to use the loader..

The FAL loader may be possible however the magazines are narrower then the saiga by a little bit.

Ok, thanks for the info. I may look into the FAL loader...if it's just a little off, there may be enough to shave off? Never seen an FAL mag so I have no idea...

BTW, got my CSS mags... may,you do a hell of a job, both with the mags and your packing job!! Can't ait to get my S308 and play with them...

• 11 months later...

I just got my NcStar 308 speed loader and after doing some easy modifications in less than an hour I can now use it on my FBMG (now Uintas) mags, my CSSPECS mag and my SGM Tactical (was Surefire) mags. This is not just a thumb saver but a speed loader in the true sense of the word.

I bought mine at KeepShooting and have now ordered a box of 20 stripper clips. The price for both is very good. Great product.

Be sure to do your due diligence but I cut off 3/8" of the bottom and then cut a 1/2" square in the front to allow for the magazine latch. I used a dremel but a hacksaw blade would work also.

Carry some extra loaded stripper clips and you'll get by on less mags. Mags are too damn expensive!

that is pretty much what I did to a BETA mag speed loader, to load 5.56 rounds in a modified 74, TAPCO GOLIANI, WEIGER,  and and the Bulgarian mag, for my SAR-3 and Bulgarian SLR106UR. the front lock studs on the Bulgarian and GOLIANI  are as wide as the mag, so I had to cut out the front, then used a bent piece of metal around the front to keep it from shifting back when loading. now I can put all my  5.56 rounds on stripper clips. and only take a couple of mags with me to the range,

works great for all my 5.56 AK mags

Edited by Matthew Hopkins