FINALLY GOT MY HANDS ON ONE!!!

After talking at length with another board member, I decidee to take a chance on one of Century's VZ58 builds. I was able to get one from a well known supplier...(not gonna give a non-member seller a plug) for $359 right before they all went into back order status. I finally picked it up from my local gun dealer yesterday. All I say is WOW, a very fine looking rifle...not at all what I had been hearing about from some of the bashing forums! I did a quick go through , very clean, neat receiver and barrel, the front sight is dead on straight,..no chips, dirt, cosmoline, rust...a good fit with all components, all and all, it looks like I got myself a nice new playtoy for a good price..course, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to run a few hundred rounds downrange to really check it out.

What got my attention to start with was how LIGHT it is and how naturally it came up to my shoulder! As I said, tomorrow will tell, but it looks like I got lucky! That and my very sweet wife ordered a couple of cases of more ammo (thanks Baby, you are the greatest!!)

Edited by unclejake

The couple hundred rounds turned into a couple. The Bolt felt a little tight in a spot, but, I wrote that off to being a new bolt assy and receiver. Well, loaded the mag up with 10 rounds, racked the bolt, and let her fly! First shot, fine! Pulled the trigger the second time and....nothing! I dropped the mag, and pulled the bolt back, sure enough, it had stripped a fresh round off and put it home, but hadn't reset the trigger. I removed the round, and hand cycled it twenty, thirty times, and it fired each time, so, I put a different mag in...same thing. Either the bolt is scrubbing on the receiver,(some shiny tell tale spots showin), or a bad spring.

The receiver is a work of art...I run CNC machines, and someone did a fine job on it, just lookin at it. The rifle is put together with good tight tolerences.

First, I called J&G Sales, and told them about it...they are completely out and backordered, so they gave me the number at CIA. I called them, and they immediately set me up with an account, gave me my RA number,apologized profusely, said it would be a two-three week turn around, and they would have the problem straightened out.

I have dealt with their CS dept in the past, and this time, it seemed like I was dealing with a completely different company!!

Soo....we'll just have to wait and see what happens. The boys down at J&G said that this was the first one that they had had trouble with like this, that they were getting nothing but rave reviews from the rifle! Leave it to me to get the one in a ? I have been working on machinery all my life, so, I know that in todays massed manufactured society, that there will be one that slips through the cracks...just my luck it was mine! LOL

Overall, I can't wait to get her back, it has such a great feel to it, and way lighter than my Saigas, and although nothing will ever take the place of my Russian beauties, this little Czech/American Babydoll will be fun to play with when the others aren't looking!

Edited by unclejake
  • Like 3

Did they miss welding the extension tab to the bolt carrier? I have read some reports of your problem happening on orf and home builts where the bolt carrier wasn't modified but nobody that says each shot does that. Something about redesign from full auto to semi auto will occasionally not reset.

Sorry for your misfortune but I think you will get satisfied. I too think they are pretty well machined for a price less than you can get WASR AK. They do feel and shoulder nicely don't they? I bought two and both have been nice and went bang.

Did they miss welding the extension tab to the bolt carrier? I have read some reports of your problem happening on orf and home builts where the bolt carrier wasn't modified but nobody that says each shot does that. Something about redesign from full auto to semi auto will occasionally not reset.

Sorry for your misfortune but I think you will get satisfied. I too think they are pretty well machined for a price less than you can get WASR AK. They do feel and shoulder nicely don't they? I bought two and both have been nice and went bang.

No, the extension tab is welded on the bolt carrier. I field stripped it and checked it out thoroughly before trying to fire it, and noticed it on there. This was the first time that I had been inside one, so I did some research as to what it was.

I think I will too, they really seemed serious about getting things resolved, and when I do get it back, it will not be the only one that I get. They are such a sweet rifle and feel so natural in the old shoulder that I can't bare to think of having just one...that would be like only having one Saiga! ;_0

• Like 1

I'd rather have a VZ58 from CzechpointUSA.

Its near twice the money. Can you honestly say it is anywhere where near twice the rifle? :angel:

Yep. More metal, less plastic, better receiver. More reliable and consistent. Closer to''the the real thing.'

• Like 1

Its near twice the money. Can you honestly say it is anywhere where near twice the rifle? :angel:

Yep. More metal, less plastic, better receiver. More reliable and consistent. Closer to''the the real thing.'

I was reading on one of the other forums...I think that it was the CZ forum, that one man had bought a "real" vz58, and when he stripped it down, it was full of rust, had more plastic, several other issues. He was reaaly pissed to have paid that kind of money for the "real thing" and get a rifle like that.

Now, I know that it was a rare incident, but it happened. Tritium, have you handled one of the newer vz2008 builds? I am a machinist by trade, have run CNC machines for a loong time,and now am in QC, so I know quality and what to look for in a finished product, and the receiver that is on my rifle is a really nice, clean piece of work. Whoever made this particular one knew what they were doing. Looked like there were new inserts in the machine, and they had it set up properly. Clean lines, a neat and clean finish cut..all in all, a very professional job on the receiver. The barrel is new, the sights are dead on straight. Now, I know there is an issue with this one, and I'm sure that they will fix the problem, but to tell you the truth, if I could get another one just like the one I bought (less the issue), I would buy another in a minute, and spend the extra money I saved on ammo.

I'm not saying that the origional VZ58 isn't a nice rifle, but, there's not enough difference in quality from what I have seen personally, for me to justify the price difference. But this is just my opinion, and that's all. I am a pragmatic person.

Edited by unclejake

I got one of the CAI VZ-58s (VZ2008) and it has been running flawlessly! Here's the range report. BEST $350 I EVER SPENT!

Went to the range. Pouring rain, fog, and high wind. 100 and 200 yards were out of the question, as I couldn't even see the 100! I did, however, battlesight the VZ58 at 25 yards (got it dead on POA with the rear on 200). It was about an inch low and an inch right. A few adjustments with the AK sight tool, and had it dialed in within 10 shots (2x 5 shot groups.)

Impressions: FREAKIN AWESOME! Once it was dialed in, I got a 5 shot you could cover with a quarter or maybe 50 cent piece, and that was with the truly AWFUL weather. shot it with the folder and the CNC Warrior break. Recoil was virtually nil, recovery for subsequent shots was automatic. I did matching drills with my faux-AK103 Saiga and the VZ-58. The VZ 58 was WAY nicer and handier. I only did a couple hundred rounds, shooting standing off hand, doing presentations and small groups. The 3"x2" silhouette on the AK sight in target disappeared shooting at 25 yards rapid fire. I LOVE this weapon!

BTW, I had 2 FTFs, both from the same magazine. It is a used mag I got from Czechpoint. I checked, and it is worn, but has a crack where the feedlip joins the rear face, and the spring is not as tight as some others. I'll send it back for a replacement when I get back from vacation next month. The other mag, newer with no wear, fed perfectly.

No pics due to weather. My wife would have killed me if I took her Nikon D-90 out in that awful weather!

After years of being an AR and AK guy, I now Absolutely prefer the VZ-58. After 5 years military and 20+ years LEO, I have handled everything imaginable: M1 and M2 carbines, M3 greasegun, Thompson, UZI, MP5, MAC-10&11, MP-38/40, M16s in all their incarnations (M16A1, M16A2, XM177E2, GAU-5, M4), M14, FN-FAL, CETME's, G3s, HK 91,93, and 94s, AKs galore. The VZ-58 is my top pick.

More metal, less plastic? Got that backwards friend. The czechpoint has plastic trigger and meets 922 by using plastic u.s. parts in the magazines. You can't use czech surplus magazines. You can't put on a czech muzzle brake.

better receiver? new semi auto czech receiver versus new u.s. made receiver. Never heard of a problem with either so who knows.

More reliable and consistent. How so? On the vz58 board I have have read slightly more reliability problems with the 'real' vzs than the vz2008.

Closer to 'the real thing'. The extra real thing czechpoint has is the original milsurp barrel. I don't think the 'real thing' has a welded on extension to get it to u.s. 16 inches nor filled it with plastic u.s. parts. Both guns use milsurp parts kits for everything else. The vz2008 using milsurp mags and authentic muzzle brakes seems as close or shockingly closer to 'the real thing'.

But what do I know. I just own 2 and have obsessively scanned the boards for any info on the gun.

Edited by rocinante
  • Like 1

This particular gun seems to defy Century's reputation of making junk guns. I may have to pick one of these up someday. Sure, the Czech made model is closer to the real thing, but I am not going to pay $800+ for one of those when the primary difference is a chrome lined bore in the Czech model. I am fine with my Springfield M1A, which is not as close to the real thing as a Fulton Armory M14, but then again, I did not have to shell out a lot of extra money for it I will probably go the same route with a VZ-58 type rifle.

I could have already gotten one of these rifles if it were not for vandals keying three doors and a fender on my car. I spent a bit over $300 on that between my deductible (it is bullshit that I should have to pay for the actions of criminals) and a rental car. :angry: Top this off with having to get my wisdom teeth removed on Thursday (although my insurance should cover a good deal of this).

So the receiver is better why? Because it was made in Czechoslovakia, rather then the good old USA, by Americans? :lolol: What a disturbing worldview for an American! It has MORE plastic, as has been pointed out by Rocinante. But, your opinion Sir and duly noted!

As I have said, the only people that seem to hate the Century gun, don't have one. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Man, oh man...y'all ain't gonna believe this! As y'all know, had to ship my rifle back to Century last week on Tuesday, arrived on Friday between 10 and 11 a.m. Well, early this afternoon, I figured, what the heck, I'll call and see if I can find out anything. I called and talked with a very pleasant lady named Anne. I told her that I was aware that they had just received the rifle, but figured I'd take a shot and see if they had started on it. She politely told me that yes, it had been received on the 25th, but she doubted that there was any news, since they had a two-three week turn around time, but let her pull up the RA number and look.

Well, she came back on the phone and said, Mr. Simmons, I'm afraid I was wrong, your original rifle is scheduled to ship back to you this afternoon, or tomorrow one, I don't have the tracking number yet, but will e-mail it to you tomorrow afternoon, along with any other necessary information. BOY, talk about just about hitting the floor!!! (I was hoping that it would be the original since it was such a sweet thing except for the one issue.)

Well, the proof will be in the pudding, so when it gets back next week, I'll throw a mag in it a see what happens, but until then, I've gotta say that Gentlemen, it seems that we're seeing a change in Century's CS department!

Wish me luck!!! :-)

• Like 3

A little work on the sear, and we are in business!! Ron, the 'smith that took care of my lil Czech darling, also polished the feed ramp, tweaked on it a bit and has her running like a Singer Sewing Machine!! After he finished working on her, he ran 30 rounds through to make sure all was well. UPS dropped it off yesterday afternoon, and having to work second shift never sucked so bad! I got up this morning a little after nine a d decided that while the coffee was a brewing, I might as well cook off a few rounds to make sure all was right. I ran a half mag through slowly and the other half, I let her rip. Sweet as she could be!

It still amazes me how quickly and professionally things were handled! We are not dealing with the Century of old...this is a new era...at least for my situation. Thanks again to Anne and Ron at Century for taking a heartbreaking situation, and turning it into a very happy ending, and for doing it so Quickly!!!

It'll be a couple of weekends before I get to run a couple hundred rounds through her...weddings, birthdays and such, but when I do! :killer:

A little work on the sear, and we are in business!! Ron, the 'smith that took care of my lil Czech darling, also polished the feed ramp, tweaked on it a bit and has her running like a Singer Sewing Machine!! After he finished working on her, he ran 30 rounds through to make sure all was well. UPS dropped it off yesterday afternoon, and having to work second shift never sucked so bad! I got up this morning a little after nine a d decided that while the coffee was a brewing, I might as well cook off a few rounds to make sure all was right. I ran a half mag through slowly and the other half, I let her rip. Sweet as she could be!

It still amazes me how quickly and professionally things were handled! We are not dealing with the Century of old...this is a new era...at least for my situation. Thanks again to Anne and Ron at Century for taking a heartbreaking situation, and turning it into a very happy ending, and for doing it so Quickly!!!

It'll be a couple of weekends before I get to run a couple hundred rounds through her...weddings, birthdays and such, but when I do! :killer:

Good to see that Century made good and that their VZ58's aren't a repeat f their CETME products.

One word of caution about Century; their warranty begins the moment they sell it. A lot of people are surprised when they contact Century about a rifle they just purchased and find out the warranty is out of date. JMO, I'd check the the warranty information on a Century firearm (w/ Century) before buying one.