I bought one once I got the taxes back. I bought the 6.5" Stainless Steel version, and I'm thrilled with my purchase. Taking this gun to the range has provided me with the most fun I have had since my Uncle broke me in to shooting with his G-17 and 1911.

I am curious to know if anyone here has either handled(shot) or owned one since their inception?

Here is a short video of myself shooting it for the first time. Even though you can't tell, I am using Winchester's PDX-1 .410 ammunition. It makes a nice hole.

I know I am holding the revolver strangely. I am too used to holding semi-autos.

Edited by Photoguy

Hello, Photoguy

I have the Judge w/3" barrel and 3" chamber and I have to say that after my S-17 and S-12's, this little (!) gun is the most fun at the range of anything I shoot.

Everybody I introduce it to just smiles from ear to ear. With #8 shot from a 3" shell at 20 yards you don't hit the target, you cover it. And your neighbors target. And the wood timbers used to construct the range where I shoot.

This pepperbox is surprisingly easy on the hand, too, largly due to it's mass. I have yet to find a woman who is uncomfortable single-handing it once they get the nerve to try.

Just good, clean fun.

JMHO....

-guido

I got my old man the 2.5 in chamber, 3 inch barrel one for Christmas a year ago.

Birdshot is effective for all of about 10 feet. The buckshot will spread out beyond

man sized past 10 yards. After that, the .45 Colt is fairly accurate.

So, shoot a snake with the birdshot, shoot a guy with buckshot, and shoot something

a ways away with the .45.

It does not kick hard at all. I think it is much beefier than it needs to be, although

it might be able to do +p 45 colt.

Of course, one can step up to the Ragin' Judge, and add the .454 Casul to it.

I've seen the Circuit Judge, but I think I'll stick with my horse pistol.

Guido really hit the nail on the head, in regards to introducing the Judge to other shooters at the range.

My favorite .410 shells to run through this weapon is Winchester's 000-buck loads. Dependable and highly effective spread patterns at 21 feet, but managed only two body strikes out of six pellets at 45 feet.

The PDX-1 shells were fun although the BBs tend go everywhere, even at 21 feet, making me hesitent to utilize this ammo in an outdoor setting for fear of hitting a bystander. A lawsuit is the last thing I need, so this ammo will stay strictly indoors.

I was discussing this caveat with one of the local(actually in Racine, not Janesville) range's owners, and he said that a police friend of him responded to a shooting call in which the PDX was used, and he had been told that the perp had no chest left. Probably a Judge-issued double tap.

Edited by Photoguy

Personally I don't care for the Taurus brand. They might look pretty on the outside, but the insides are rough, and parts are often hard to come by.

While I have yet to require any parts for the 5 my old man and I have, the insides aren't bad.

I consider them a good low budget pistol. Many people like to shit on them, though.

Personally I don't care for the Taurus brand. They might look pretty on the outside, but the insides are rough, and parts are often hard to come by.

While I have yet to require any parts for the 5 my old man and I have, the insides aren't bad.

I consider them a good low budget pistol. Many people like to shit on them, though.

The local gunsmith (a master gunsmith with about forty years experience) believes them to be "a piece of shit." I've personally seen burrs on the internals. But, to each his own.

fantastic! You guys hate Taurus'! Yeah, I'm not a big fan either..... But out of all the pistols offered in .45lc/.410ga it's the best for "small game" pistols. I've used the Leinad, that sucked. TCs are single shot so shooting at multiple rabbits is out....scratch that one. Derringers which are absolutely unruly and again either have only one shot or the second takes way to much time are for sure out. If the Taurus is poorly built then the thunder five is king of crap. The only company making a better one (that I can think of) is Magnum Reasearch and that one costs just a mere $1000.00 from what I've seen.....That's just a mere $667.00 more then I paid for mine. I'd be interested in learning more about MRs BFR if you have info on that.

For the record, mine runs flawlessly but I did have it checked out by my gunsmith since it was so cheap. He also hates Taurus and "appreciates all the work it brings him", LOL! I don't use mine for self protection, just hunting. A missed shot doesn't mean that I die. Having the raging judge would be fun for me in that I could play with the 454 Casul, but I did a little research last night and came up with 0 reason as to why I shouldn't just save up and and get a S&W 460 if that's the direction I'm going to head.

The local gunsmith (a master gunsmith with about forty years experience) believes them to be "a piece of shit." I've personally seen burrs on the internals. But, to each his own.

By that logic Saiga's are POS too. I totally agree, to each his own.

fantastic! You guys hate Taurus'! Yeah, I'm not a big fan either..... But out of all the pistols offered in .45lc/.410ga it's the best for "small game" pistols. I've used the Leinad, that sucked. TCs are single shot so shooting at multiple rabbits is out....scratch that one. Derringers which are absolutely unruly and again either have only one shot or the second takes way to much time are for sure out. If the Taurus is poorly built then the thunder five is king of crap. The only company making a better one (that I can think of) is Magnum Reasearch and that one costs just a mere $1000.00 from what I've seen.....That's just a mere $667.00 more then I paid for mine. I'd be interested in learning more about MRs BFR if you have info on that.

For the record, mine runs flawlessly but I did have it checked out by my gunsmith since it was so cheap. He also hates Taurus and "appreciates all the work it brings him", LOL! I don't use mine for self protection, just hunting. A missed shot doesn't mean that I die. Having the raging judge would be fun for me in that I could play with the 454 Casul, but I did a little research last night and came up with 0 reason as to why I shouldn't just save up and and get a S&W 460 if that's the direction I'm going to head.

s&w 460 is my favorite revolver ( for fun/hunting) it can be loaded for some very hot, heavy loads. a lot of folks scope em for 200yds

• Like 1

By that logic Saiga's are POS too. I totally agree, to each his own.

Your logic doesn't follow at all. You're comparing apples to oranges. But, yes, to each his own.

Ive got the stainless public defender 2"(?) barrel version. I'll carry it in a chopped down serpa from time to time for SD but I really do prefer my 1911. It's a helluva fun gun though... and as a couple others have stated, it gets a lot of attention at the range. Also like others have stated, it REALLY has manageable recoil due to the heft of it.

I bought a Judge a few months ago and like it a lot and find that it is solid and tight. It was the first Taurus I ever bought as I tend to stick to USA made firearms as best I can....(have an S12 though :rolleyes: ) At the time, Taurus was really the only one that offered a 410/45LC and that is what I wanted as the Thunder5 was no longer in production. I see that S&W has come onboard with their own version, but they are just about double the price....

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Judge a few months ago and like it a lot and find that it is solid and tight. It was the first Taurus I ever bought as I tend to stick to USA made firearms as best I can....(have an S12 though :rolleyes: ) At the time, Taurus was really the only one that offered a 410/45LC and that is what I wanted as the Thunder5 was no longer in production. I see that S&W has come onboard with their own version, but they are just about double the price....

Todd

I have a Judge with 6' barrel, great gun. Have you tried the Winchester PDX-1 ammo made just for the Judge? It is a .410 shell loaded with three copper clad discs and 12 BB's. I have shot several boxes and now will buy nothing but them for Home Defense. Google Winchester .410 and you will find a complete site on this ammo.

S&W makes a 410 revolver now... Not sure who would buy it.

022188624106.jpg

Then again $500-600 isn't too bad. Especially for a gun that'll be a massive failure, and probably have some major value in the future.

By the way guys, I think some people will be shocked when they find out what kind of groupings 000 buck offers. Have to remember it's equal to about 3 shots from a 380, so if that sounds good enough then go for it.

Edited by Tombs

Todd

I have a Judge with 6' barrel, great gun. Have you tried the Winchester PDX-1 ammo made just for the Judge? It is a .410 shell loaded with three copper clad discs and 12 BB's. I have shot several boxes and now will buy nothing but them for Home Defense. Google Winchester .410 and you will find a complete site on this ammo.

Have not tried the Winchester ammo, but bought a box of the Federal 410 handgun ammo......I think it is called "Personal Defense"...4 pellets of 000 buck. I believe I heard the pellets are 38 caliber.

• 2 months later...

They are in Brazil yes...

I had a Poly Public Defender for a little while, fun little gun but the grip on it was too small for my liking...could only get two fingers around it instead of a more comfortable three. I sold it to gather funds to go and buy a Smith and Wesson Governor instead. It has a full size grip, more ergo than the Judge, and can fire .45 ACP rounds along with .45 LC and .410.