blew my front site out of the gas block! now what?

As I type this from my phone, I'm sitting in a field with some friends shooting targets and clays. Its the second time I've had my S12 out, and I have a problem. The only mod I've done is swapping to the MD Arms gas plug. Somehow, I managed to blow the front sight out if the gas block. It looks to be a non threaded hole, which seems like a horrible idea to me. So now I can't find the sight, and all of the gas escapes throug that hole which meas the rounds don't cycle. What do I do? There's no way I'm going to find the sight. I was planning on adding ghost ring or similar sights anyway, but how do I plug this hole?

Tap it and put one of these in.

truGlo-500.jpg

+1. No personal experience with them, but some earlier Saigas have the front site threaded. Tap it, get a bead sight, and use some red locktite

CSS has the fiber optic sights for the shotgun and call or email greg to see what theads you need or jb weld it in or steel putty or epoxy but I would have it threaded at a loca machine shop .

As I type this from my phone, I'm sitting in a field with some friends shooting targets and clays. Its the second time I've had my S12 out, and I have a problem. The only mod I've done is swapping to the MD Arms gas plug. Somehow, I managed to blow the front sight out if the gas block. It looks to be a non threaded hole, which seems like a horrible idea to me. So now I can't find the sight, and all of the gas escapes throug that hole which meas the rounds don't cycle. What do I do? There's no way I'm going to find the sight. I was planning on adding ghost ring or similar sights anyway, but how do I plug this hole?

Check out this video (start watching at about 2:10).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1JLON0xkSY&feature=fvsr

The guy actually knocks out the bead sight to get at the gas ports instead of removing the gas block. Silly thing to do, but I post it here because it does cover tapping and filling the hole from the bead sight and drilling/tapping a new hole just in front of it for a new bead sight.

Edit: Changed several instances of "site" to "sight". I know better but still do that for some reason. :rolleyes:

Edited by Spartacus

Back the hole well with copper, attach copper heat sinks to the gas block with clamps, weld the hole up & install the after-market sights of your choice?

Or warranty would work too.

Yeah, 6500RPM is correct.... Welding seems to be my solution for everything.

• Like 1

Check out this video (start watching at about 2:10).

http://www.youtube.c...SY&feature=fvsr

The guy actually knocks out the bead site to get at the gas ports instead of removing the gas block. Silly thing to do, but I post it here because it does cover tapping and filling the hole from the bead site and drilling/tapping a new hole just in front of it for a new bead site.

Hey I know that guy. He works at the shop I purchased my S-12 from.

Are you sure that the aftermarket plug isnt causing an overpressure situation?

Well, that would sound feasible, if it wasn't impossible...

You see, the plug has no effect on the pressure inside the gas block especially when there is a vent hole in the gas block...

Plug it either by tapping and using a set screw or welding/soldering it shut. Then pick up a Dinzag short front sight block (money well spent). It'll make you much more accurate at clay busting and distant slug shooting, it really helped my accuracy!

http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_12/fsbs12.html

Edited by Mullet Man

Are you sure that the aftermarket plug isnt causing an overpressure situation?

That's what I was wondering.

The bead sights are pressed in & the bottom peened like a rivet.

Likely too much Vodka in the assembler & it didn't get peened on the inside enough..

There's no way the MD plug could increase pressure enough to be blowing bead sights off.

If they increased pressure that much, Myself & everyone who makes the guns more reliable would be out of business & there would be 50 threads like this one on the forum..

I just got done droping a set screw in mine....

No tapping just a trip to home depot....

Sat. went to the range to test my gas block mod.

The testing sucked because ( I'm gessing)

the sight was out.

I was kind of amazed, my friends and I were able to keep 50% of our shots in a 1 foot group at 100 yards with rifled slugs, WITHOUT a front sight! We had to hand cycle the rounds due to the gas block being open, but we had the slugs and were there to shoot them.

I'm going to figure out what size thread I'll need, and put a bead in for now. Then I'm immediately shopping for some better sights. Probably ghost ring.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips.