New to S7.62x39..need opinions please

Hey guys. I'm very S12 seasoned and not at all S7.62x39 seasoned. I am picking mine up today and will be doing the conversion myself. Not worried about that at all as I have done 2 S12's. Just trying to get some concrete decisions on what I wanna do to this thing. I'm going to be putting an ACE Skeleton folder on it and to reduce damage on the wallet, I'm thinking I'll keep the factory HG and drill some holes in it and make it look all pretty and high speed :angel: I want to get the Ultimak gas tube rail, but I'm wondering, because of the fact that it clamps to the barrel, does it make ANY difference in grouping or MOA? I saw Nutnfancy on youtube with an SGL21 claiming that his groups went down big time from putting an MI quad rail on. I'm just wondering if there is any correlation with the fact that the Ultimak clamps to the barrel. Also, I would like to know if there is any modification to the factory HG required to use the Ultimak gas tube rail, due to it's "wings" I'm going to call them, that stick out for attachment to the clamps. Thanks for any input you guys want to give me on this matter.

Also, I would like to know if there is any modification to the factory HG required to use the Ultimak gas tube rail, due to it's "wings" I'm going to call them, that stick out for attachment to the clamps. Thanks for any input you guys want to give me on this matter.

Yes This one is not mine but the ones I have modified were similar. The hole threads are aluminum which means do not over tighten or you might end up with a stripped hole. Also, make sure the optics choice you plan on using is very heat tolerant because that aluminum rail will efficiently transfer plenty of heat.

Usually, more things clamped to the barrel is bad for harmonics-accuracy but maybe its the heat sink property of the aluminum in this case that sucks heat right off the barrel and keeps the barrel cooler maybe to enhance accuracy during extended firing and heating. How could we really prove this? Maybe if someone had a monster aluminum full barrel heat sink preferably with hundreds of fins clamped the full length this idea could be tested but I don't think it has been done.

1000487jo9.jpg

Edited by my762buzz
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old post... Which Ultimak did you buy? my buddy just got a M1-B and there is a gap between the gas block and tube... I know it should still work, but it just looks wrong. Thanks for the help.

Also, I would like to know if there is any modification to the factory HG required to use the Ultimak gas tube rail, due to it's "wings" I'm going to call them, that stick out for attachment to the clamps. Thanks for any input you guys want to give me on this matter.

Yes This one is not mine but the ones I have modified were similar. The hole threads are aluminum which means do not over tighten or you might end up with a stripped hole. Also, make sure the optics choice you plan on using is very heat tolerant because that aluminum rail will efficiently transfer plenty of heat.

Usually, more things clamped to the barrel is bad for harmonics-accuracy but maybe its the heat sink property of the aluminum in this case that sucks heat right off the barrel and keeps the barrel cooler maybe to enhance accuracy during extended firing and heating. How could we really prove this? Maybe if someone had a monster aluminum full barrel heat sink preferably with hundreds of fins clamped the full length this idea could be tested but I don't think it has been done.

1000487jo9.jpg

The "Gap" between the gas block and the front trunnion ( I believe that is the correct term, correct me if im wrong) is supposed to be there. When i ordered my M1-B i had the same issue so i called ultimak and they said its normal, position the ultimak so the gap is the same front and rear and lock it down. Its supposed to increase accuracy when it heats up.