Are you having ejection problems with low brass?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think my saiga 12 would cycle a lot better with a double stack mag. I'm just saying.

Who out there has trouble cycling the cheap bulk pack ammo from their 12, 20, or .410 Saiga?

Yes, I guess it is so loaded everyone smells a rat.   I was going to get some people together with cycling problems and send a few samples out. I guess all I have to do is read a few pages of thre

i had issues ejecting low brass when i first shot my saiga 12. in actuality, every single round was FTE. needless to say, this troubled me. however, i remembered that i had read on this forum that rotating my gas plug complete revolutions could fix the problem, so i did that, and now my saiga will successfully eject rounds about 95% of the time with low brass

What is the general consensus on Winchester Bulk pack ammo? (1200 fps, 1 1/8 oz, 7.5 shot)

Is this stuff weaker or stronger than Federal bulk pack?

Today I took out my S12 for the first time after reprofiling the gas block opening, and opening the three ports to .09375". The barrel is also 18.5" overall with a permanently attached 2.5" flash hider, so this is not helping things compared to a factory 19" barrel.

Out of the box from the factory the gun has never malfunctioned with high brass, or 1300 fps birdshot. But the gun would stovepipe Federal bulk pack about 30-40% of the time if I recall correctly. I never shot the Winchester universal bulk pack with the factory ports.

Now today, shot 15 Remington Sluggers on setting 1, no malfunctions (no surprise). Shot 25 Winchester Xpert 1325 fps 1 1/8 oz. 6 steel shot no malfunctions on setting 2. Then I shot the 100 rounds of Winchester Universal. I had 3 FTE (stovepipe) using the MD arms 20 round drum. No FTE with the OEM 8 rd. mag, but I did have one failure to feed where the shell jammed up into the top of the feed ramp, not sure what happened there. So overall I had 4 malfunctions out of 100 rounds with the Winchester Universal. I personally think that's pretty decent. But I'd still like it to run 100% will all ammo. I think I'll try a V-Plug and a MD Arms booster plug. Changing gas settings at the range with the factory plug is annoying anyways.

What is the general consensus on Winchester Bulk pack ammo? (1200 fps, 1 1/8 oz, 7.5 shot)

Is this stuff weaker or stronger than Federal bulk pack?

Today I took out my S12 for the first time after reprofiling the gas block opening, and opening the three ports to .09375". The barrel is also 18.5" overall with a permanently attached 2.5" flash hider, so this is not helping things compared to a factory 19" barrel.

Out of the box from the factory the gun has never malfunctioned with high brass, or 1300 fps birdshot. But the gun would stovepipe Federal bulk pack about 30-40% of the time if I recall correctly. I never shot the Winchester universal bulk pack with the factory ports.

Now today, shot 15 Remington Sluggers on setting 1, no malfunctions (no surprise). Shot 25 Winchester Xpert 1325 fps 1 1/8 oz. 6 steel shot no malfunctions on setting 2. Then I shot the 100 rounds of Winchester Universal. I had 3 FTE (stovepipe) using the MD arms 20 round drum. No FTE with the OEM 8 rd. mag, but I did have one failure to feed where the shell jammed up into the top of the feed ramp, not sure what happened there. So overall I had 4 malfunctions out of 100 rounds with the Winchester Universal. I personally think that's pretty decent. But I'd still like it to run 100% will all ammo. I think I'll try a V-Plug and a MD Arms booster plug. Changing gas settings at the range with the factory plug is annoying anyways.

I have run 400 round of Winchester universal with only two FTE's, the general consensus is though that it sucks and don't use it. The Federal pack sitting right next to it at Chinese Mart runs great as well one FTE and it's the same price. I am running the stock piston and plug set on 2 when I use these. I don't think it really matters at .22 a round. What matters to me is it unloading with no FTF or FTE the 10 rounders of critical defense into the moron standing in my hallway at 2 AM :ph34r:

I do, I have tried almost everything, it seems to be getting better with time/rounds shot but I still get FTE's.

My specs......

Three port gun, had to enlarge to .093

One port hole partially covered, had to enlarge gas block hole.

Added MD Arms Gas Plug.

Added King Armory Gas Puck.

It's improved a little bit but I still get atleast 1 or 2 FTE's on low brass. (Winchester Universal and Federal #6.)

Slugs work fine on setting 2 with the MD Plug and Buckshot works fine on setting 3 with the MD Plug.

Only other thing I could do is polish the bolt carrier assembly but i'm to chicken to try that by myself, I don't want to mess up the internals.

Any other ideas?

I know this gun is designed for buckshot and slugs, but, i'd like to be able to shoot birdshot and low brass reliably without any problems, buckshot/slugs are to expensive to use for target practice/fun.

I do, I have tried almost everything, it seems to be getting better with time/rounds shot but I still get FTE's.

My specs......

Three port gun, had to enlarge to .093

One port hole partially covered, had to enlarge gas block hole.

Added MD Arms Gas Plug.

Added King Armory Gas Puck.

It's improved a little bit but I still get atleast 1 or 2 FTE's on low brass. (Winchester Universal and Federal #6.)

Slugs work fine on setting 2 with the MD Plug and Buckshot works fine on setting 3 with the MD Plug.

Only other thing I could do is polish the bolt carrier assembly but i'm to chicken to try that by myself, I don't want to mess up the internals.

Any other ideas?

I know this gun is designed for buckshot and slugs, but, i'd like to be able to shoot birdshot and low brass reliably without any problems, buckshot/slugs are to expensive to use for target practice/fun.

I closed the test offer but since you have a KA and still have fte's I am going to make you the last to receive a Booster for free to test. Please PM me your shipping info. You are going to see first hand the major difference between the Booster and the KA!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Any of the testers receive their piston yet?

Nope, still waiting for it to show up. I've already tried the King Armory puck and the Twister puck without any real difference so i'm anxious to see if Mike's booster piston will make a difference, have my video camera and ammo ready to go.

Any of the testers receive their piston yet?

I emailed Mike 2 weeks ago I think it was and he said the latest they'd ship would be Friday.

Really, no one should make a big deal out of it (I'm not) as it's free so I'll wait as long as it takes for him.

I should just purchase one anyways to continue to support MD Arms.

Oh, no I wasn't making a deal out of it at all. I was just curious, and excited :]. I'd give all the time in the world to Mike. It's not often an opportunity such as this arises...and how many companies offer such great products, with service like his?

• 2 weeks later...