2 new Saiga pistons from MD Arms, LTD

^ so your rear trunnion is safe an your shoulder is OK, but what about the rest of your gun(ie. Op rod, GB).^

It's also a force that's being applied above the bolt carrier's rails. So if it's enough of a shock since it's a very short stroke, I think it could even bend your rails over time, since it is trying to rotate the bolt carrier a certain amount.

A buffer isn't really going to help if it's getting slammed excessively hard, it's more like something to prevent metal on metal contact should the bolt travel that far. I would never think of it as something that makes it ok to over-gas the gun. In fact, I'm willing to bet that mindset is why so many people have issues with them, and why I never have. My buffer was just getting some oil marks off the back of the bolt carrier when I was running 3" mags with the booster piston and auto plug, even with the auto plug set to run winchester AA.

Edited by Tombs
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As if mike has never done any name calling? LOL   Differences? Ok. I said it looked familiar, which um... it does.   Wasn't mike crying not too long ago about how promag copied his drum and

WOW!!! I was just informed by Lauren that we just received a very nasty voicemail from King's Armory... It stated that I exactly copied their design and that although I said their design didn't do a

like I said it was built in 05 and back then nobody was sbsing them, unless you were? I had AZEX convert it and sbs the saiga and it was the first he had sbsed.   factory gas system with a 9" bbl.

Posted Images

Ok, I've had my Saiga for about a year and a half and it has never run low brass shells. Then I chopped it down to 11.5 inches and it became a severely undergassed gun. I sent the bolt and fire controls off to be polished by Cobra's Customs, great work, reduced a lot of friction, but with so little gas in the system it didn't matter. I then added a lighter spring, still no good. Then I tossed in the booster puck, but even with 2 3/4 Fiocchi 00 Buck it wouldn't cycle. Finally I enlarged the ports to .093 and she very nearly ran Federal Bulk(just about a 1/2 inch too short on the stroke). Now I'm aware that I've gone about this whole project in a totally bass-ackwards way, but the end state is that with the booster puck my short gun is doing better with the low brass that it did before when it was bone stock and full length. I think with some more break-in on that spring and she'll be running like a sewing machine in no time (I'll be leaving my bolt locked to the rear until then).

Ok, I've had my Saiga for about a year and a half and it has never run low brass shells. Then I chopped it down to 11.5 inches and it became a severely undergassed gun. I sent the bolt and fire controls off to be polished by Cobra's Customs, great work, reduced a lot of friction, but with so little gas in the system it didn't matter. I then added a lighter spring, still no good. Then I tossed in the booster puck, but even with 2 3/4 Fiocchi 00 Buck it wouldn't cycle. Finally I enlarged the ports to .093 and she very nearly ran Federal Bulk(just about a 1/2 inch too short on the stroke). Now I'm aware that I've gone about this whole project in a totally bass-ackwards way, but the end state is that with the booster puck my short gun is doing better with the low brass that it did before when it was bone stock and full length. I think with some more break-in on that spring and she'll be running like a sewing machine in no time (I'll be leaving my bolt locked to the rear until then).

Why does that matter?

It probably doesn't matter, but in my mind keeping the spring compressed for a while seems like it would have some of the same effects as shooting the piss out of it, I'm not telling you to do it. Shooting it does much more than just wear in the spring, but in between range sessions I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

It probably doesn't matter, but in my mind keeping the spring compressed for a while seems like it would have some of the same effects as shooting the piss out of it, I'm not telling you to do it. Shooting it does much more than just wear in the spring, but in between range sessions I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

Try a lighter spring. 1911 recoil springs work fine.

Just bought 2 of the lighter pucks and two of the gas selectors. I have the older model gas selectors in my 12 and 20. My 20 is a bit finicky with 2 3/4. If this makes her reliable I will sing it from the heavens.

I don't know if this information is out there but I thought it was relevant.

The KA puck and Twister puck I have both weigh 35.3g.

The Booster puck weighs in at 13.2g.

:smoke:

Also, my factory puck weighs 37.3

I have another puck that looks like the factory one but says 'made in USA' that weighs 36.4

I don't know if this information is out there but I thought it was relevant.

The KA puck and Twister puck I have both weigh 35.3g.

The Booster puck weighs in at 13.2g.

:smoke:

Also, my factory puck weighs 37.3

I have another puck that looks like the factory one but says 'made in USA' that weighs 36.4

Here are the pucks I weighed and plan to test side by side, on the same gun, on different settings, hip firing and shoulder firing. Hopefully I will be able to do this soon if I get a nice weekend again soon. :smoke:

post-19600-0-71566800-1301968509_thumb.jpg

Ok, so went out last sat with the booster puck and 1000 rounds. The puck worked great and actually seemed to give a "cleaner, more solid ejection" if that makes sense.

My gun ran fine before, but with the booster it ejected shells out farther and in a more comsistant pattern.

On a side note: I blew a hole in a steel pole 4 times in a row @ 100 yards with a rifled slug. I thought that was pretty damn good considering I only have 16 inches of solid barrel with a brake to make up the rest of the 18"

My buddy had a handful of 12 gauge tracer rounds "they" train with so out of curiosity I used them. Bad idea...i shot vid of it so I will try and post it soon, but the tracers left a residue that was horrible to get off. Inside of gas block looked like spray painted it with silver metallic paint. Had take break everything down, strip it and duracoat everything again. Ill never do that again.

I had to use a dremel and steel brush to get the residue of the booster puck...due to the finish on it, the residue came off pretty easy compared to the rest of the gun. The puck still looks brand new!

Ok, so went out last sat with the booster puck and 1000 rounds. The puck worked great and actually seemed to give a "cleaner, more solid ejection" if that makes sense.

My gun ran fine before, but with the booster it ejected shells out farther and in a more comsistant pattern.

On a side note: I blew a hole in a steel pole 4 times in a row @ 100 yards with a rifled slug. I thought that was pretty damn good considering I only have 16 inches of solid barrel with a brake to make up the rest of the 18"

My buddy had a handful of 12 gauge tracer rounds "they" train with so out of curiosity I used them. Bad idea...i shot vid of it so I will try and post it soon, but the tracers left a residue that was horrible to get off. Inside of gas block looked like spray painted it with silver metallic paint. Had take break everything down, strip it and duracoat everything again. Ill never do that again.

I had to use a dremel and steel brush to get the residue of the booster puck...due to the finish on it, the residue came off pretty easy compared to the rest of the gun. The puck still looks brand new!

What gas plug are you using? Mike confirmed that you can use high powered shells with the booster puck if using the v-plug to more greatly restrict gas than the stock plug.

Edited by TwentyNizzo

I'd also like MD to chime in on that, if possible.

I wish I would have had my Vplug when I had the gas block off, but with how setting 1 is oriented in relationship to the hole inside the gas block just eye balling it, it looks like it completely obstructs the gas hole i.e. no gas.

What gas plug are you using? Mike confirmed that you can use high powered shells with the booster puck if using the v-plug to more greatly restrict gas than the stock plug.

I use auto plug, but that wasnt the issue, it ran fine with everything I put in it: wally federal, wins, slugs.....but the tracer rounds left a silver metallic residue like magnesium in the gas system. Dont ever use those in your semi auto, I learned the hard way

The booster was killer though, I will keep using it

Nizzo, reading your reply im getting the impression you thought I blew a hole in my gun, not the case.

It was a steel pole in the ground 100 yards away

excuse me for a sec...:lolol:

I really don't know where you got that from....

I was asking about the plug because of the risk of overworking the system with the booster puck and too much gas from magnum loads.

Nizzo, reading your reply im getting the impression you thought I blew a hole in my gun, not the case.

It was a steel pole in the ground 100 yards away

excuse me for a sec...:lolol:

I really don't know where you got that from....

I was asking about the plug because of the risk of overworking the system with the booster puck and too much gas from magnum loads.

Oh, my bad...i misread your reply. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought 2 of the lighter pucks and two of the gas selectors. I have the older model gas selectors in my 12 and 20. My 20 is a bit finicky with 2 3/4. If this makes her reliable I will sing it from the heavens.

My gun finally ran 50 rounds with no Failures to extract... this on a mildly under-gassed 20ga. i'd say it does work. im stoked. thanks mike d.