2 new Saiga pistons from MD Arms, LTD

I just got my booster puck in.

Holy hell is that light! It speced out a couple thousands larger in diameter, and considerably longer than the factory puck. It fits like a glove and rides in the tube very frictionless.

That with the tac auto plug(sorry Mike) sure does make for a hell of an improved gas system over the factory system. They mate up so perfect. I can't wait to try out the puck, there's just no where I can go shoot anymore these days. If I shoot at home the neighbors have the cops over here in a matter of minutes.

Actually the diameter isn't a couple thousands bigger. Depending on the tool your measuring with can give inacurate readings. The factory pistons are between .8240" to .8260. The booster will be around .8260" to .8264" A micrometer should be used to measure thicknesses and not calipers. Also the length isn't longer than the factory either. It actually falls in the middle of factory samples I measured. It will probably measure between .010" shorter or longer than a factory piston depending on the factory piston you have. That is about the thickness difference of 3 sheets of 20lbs paper.

The booster should help you shoot low brass with the auto plug. But you better be careful in what high power rounds you use because from what I've seen the auto leaves some guns over gassed already with those. From what I here they don't recommend using 3 inch shells with the auto so that should tell you something there.

Thanks again and look forward to your results.

My gun couldn't run winchester or remington bulk pack before, so I'm not really concerned about overgassing it. I must have put a couple hundred rounds of 3" magnum turkey loads through it on the wrong setting before I discovered this forum. It has some denting in the trunnion but it's never given me an issue, and I've had it since 2004.

I'm not a high volume shooter, I just want it to work when it needs to, end of story. If I want to go beat the hell out of it I'll throw the factory puck in, but for home defense I feel a little less concerned being overgassed as opposed to under. I would also imagine the auto plug with the booster plug isn't going to protect at all against over-pressure conditions, I can't really explain my logic, just assuming based on designs.

As far as the size differences, the factory puck is visibly shorter than yours. Mine was .583" and yours was .600". When it comes to specs with saigas, everything might as well be ballparked it seems, there's no such thing as consistency in factory parts.

If it does end up being too much for the gun I'll certainly be getting a standard one. I'm just really interested to try new things and love all the innovation this gun has inspired.

Edited by Tombs
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As if mike has never done any name calling? LOL   Differences? Ok. I said it looked familiar, which um... it does.   Wasn't mike crying not too long ago about how promag copied his drum and

WOW!!! I was just informed by Lauren that we just received a very nasty voicemail from King's Armory... It stated that I exactly copied their design and that although I said their design didn't do a

like I said it was built in 05 and back then nobody was sbsing them, unless you were? I had AZEX convert it and sbs the saiga and it was the first he had sbsed.   factory gas system with a 9" bbl.

Posted Images

Holy hell is that light! It speced out a couple thousands larger in diameter, and considerably longer than the factory puck. It fits like a glove and rides in the tube very frictionless.

That with the tac auto plug(sorry Mike) sure does make for a hell of an improved gas system over the factory system. They mate up so perfect. I can't wait to try out the puck, there's just no where I can go shoot anymore these days. If I shoot at home the neighbors have the cops over here in a matter of minutes.

When did you place your order? I ordered on Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped..

:smoke:

What is your order number? It should of shipped the same day you ordered it. The USPS is very lacking in their tracking. More often then not the customer receives an item before the USPS system even updates that they received the package. Usually it just say information was received that a package will be submitted to them for shipping...

The closest thing to an order # I could find in the confirmation email was this: Approval Code: APPROVED 338629

Also, I never received a tracking number. No worries, as long as it gets here by the end of next week I'll be happy :smoke:

Edited by nattyiceking

I will be ordering one for my SBS.

I don't have any FTE issues, but I think the design of the piston will help the gun to operate longer when the gas system gets fouled.

Nice job!

When did you place your order? I ordered on Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped..

:smoke:

What is your order number? It should of shipped the same day you ordered it. The USPS is very lacking in their tracking. More often then not the customer receives an item before the USPS system even updates that they received the package. Usually it just say information was received that a package will be submitted to them for shipping...

The closest thing to an order # I could find in the confirmation email was this: Approval Code: APPROVED 338629

Also, I never received a tracking number. No worries, as long as it gets here by the end of next week I'll be happy :smoke:

You should have received an email with your order number. Also a tracking number by email from USPS. Email me your name so I can look your order up. You can also log into our site to view your order number and status. Let me know.

I will be ordering one for my SBS.

I don't have any FTE issues, but I think the design of the piston will help the gun to operate longer when the gas system gets fouled.

Nice job!

Matt, Neither really do anything for staying clean or running longer. I wouldn't buy one for that reason.

Thanks for the explaination mike. The dished pistons always bothered me...

I try to think of things in terms of what I know and understand, and it just struck me as odd that people were throwing out a dished piston as more efficient. I like to think of terms in a manner that I can relate to and to me its like saying a lower compression dished piston is more efficient than a flat top in a wedge style head.

If theres any other gearheads out there, they will understand what I'm saying.

Thanks for the explaination mike. The dished pistons always bothered me...

I try to think of things in terms of what I know and understand, and it just struck me as odd that people were throwing out a dished piston as more efficient. I like to think of terms in a manner that I can relate to and to me its like saying a lower compression dished piston is more efficient than a flat top in a wedge style head.

If theres any other gearheads out there, they will understand what I'm saying.

Yeah, but a lower compression, dished piston IS more efficient with forced induction... :devil:

Just received my puck as well. Ordered it on Tuesday around lunch and was surprised to see it in my mailbox when I got home from work. I live in Texas so the shipping was super fast! Thanks Mike

The only thing that sucks is that I won't get to try it out for a couple of weeks probably. The puck is super super lightweight, I'd say 1/2 to 1/3 the weight of the factory plug. Looks pretty cool too. Below are a few photos that I took of it.

d59a234f.jpg

2d9e660f.jpg

1f998448.jpg

• Like 2

Matt, Neither really do anything for staying clean or running longer. I wouldn't buy one for that reason.

Mike, Thanks for the info but I am going to buy one anyways.

It is a great design at a great price, and I just think it's "cool". At the very least, I can show it to customers and send them your way.

If I never told you years ago, thanks for designing and making the drums. My saiga-fun wouldn't be the same w/out them :-)

• Like 2

Mike.... From everything I've read here at the forum, you always seem to stand behind you products and are more than willing to help resolve any questions/issues people may have with them. After reviewing posts from so many satisfied customers, I broke down and purchased the MD drum (glad I did). I've owned it for several months now, and couldn't be happier with it. :super: It seems like the only people that have anything bad to say are just here to start shit.... Thanks for producing quality products man. I'll have one booster puck...Checks in the mail. :smoke:

• Like 1

This is defenately a LIGHTER puck.

Factory = 37.3g

Booster = 13.4g

Horizontal channels are cut correctly (round) for proper pressure build up & seal.

90 degree edges like the factory puck for good displacement of debris as opposed to others with slightly rounded edges I've seen.

But my gun doesn't have any cycling issues whatsoever, so after seeing the Booster design, I think finally I've found a US made puck that I'll try in the stainless.

Stainless will be ordered momentarily for use in mine & I'll eventually stock the booster for people who have issues & to include with my charging handle modifications.

Pauly likes. :up:

• Like 1

WOW!!! I was just informed by Lauren that we just received a very nasty voicemail from King's Armory... It stated that I exactly copied their design and that although I said their design didn't do anything that mine does, among other ramblings. He also stated I was only a couple hours drive away! :lolol::lolol::lolol:

King's Armory, Are you kinding me? You can openly bash E-Tac on the twister piston but I can't give my opinion on the KA piston? First off I didn't bash, second off if you don't like what I said don't jack up your claims that are so easily called as BS.

And to further point out if you read and look carefully you will see the design is different. First off our design intent and advertised features are totally different and conflicting. Mine are correct and yours are wrong... I had gas chamber volume increase in consideration because it hurts, not help like you advertised. The dished area is smooth and flowing in ours and not choppy and broken like the KA piston. Most importantly if you read our stainless piston info you will see I clearly state that the dished area isn't considered a reliability increaser which it most definately shouldn't be claimed. I think the real issue here is I am now selling a better designed piston than the KA piston for $10 compared to the KA's $30 or so piston and I'm selling a booster piston that will really work as advertised for $16.

While we're at it I also want to call complete BS on your reported 1 to 2 thousand rounds fired before cleaning that you state on the KA piston. That has been urking me for a couple years now because it is one of the biggest loads of crap I've seen stated about an aftermarket saiga item. It's your name though I guess. But it is also this spewing of crap that makes me have to better explain why ours is different. Because the BS and distrust transfers over from items that don't live up to the stated claims.

What a complete rip off your KA piston has been and you should be ashamed of yourself! At least the Twister piston really does help keep the gun clean a little longer...

Do yourself a favor and don't bother calling back.

well if you actually think the twister puck keeps it cleaner than I will not even bother with your puck, they sent me all three pucks and guess what my little shorty would not cycle with any of them and worse than that after just a hundred rounds it was all gummed up. the factory puck was cleaner than theirs and ran a bit better and the ka puck I have works flawless and I can run hundreds of rounds without having to clean it.

Oh man... You mean a guy that wasn't going to buy a Booster piston isn't going to buy a Booster piston? Now I'm worried... Yeah, you should keep using your KA that is good for 1 to 2 thousands rounds without cleaning that you have to clean after hundreds... :lolol:

well there is a reason for that my s12 is a slug gun and as you should know slugs have a hell of a lot more fouling than 00buck or fed bulk pack so after a few hundred rounds it needs to be cleaned but hey if you really want me to put your puck to the test and tell me it will outperform the ka puck? Remember my s12 has a stock gas system with a 9" barrel, so your puck will cycle bulk fed with this? will your puck cycle slugs more reliably? for it to be reliable would mean i won't have jams or fte with your puck.

The info is there to read... If your having fte with your 9inch gun when using slugs then the work was poorly done and your gun is severly lacking already. If a competent builder did it for you it should cycle bulk stuff with the factory piston (all mine do), lol!!!! Did that guru Glockmonger do the work for you??? You might want to have it looked at by someone that knows what is going on if your having troubles with it...

Like I "tried" to tell you guys on the AZ forum... If you want to know something about the saiga-12 you come here, PERIOD!

Also, I'll bet the business that the Booster will out preform the KA on reliability any day of the week and I can even take away the dished ring and finish... I never said it was a stay clean piston though and neither should have KA. I have 2 KA and they never kept the gun clean one bit longer! Just so you know we have tested probably 10 different stay clean concepts of our own design and some in multiple variations. None, even free flowing designs did much. The best we had was doubling the time between cleanings and this wasn't consistant. At times even it would clog prematurly... These were also including those with joey tears finishes (joke I made in the AZ thread about KA).

actually no glockmonger has not touched my gun, I had my saiga converted and chopped down in '05 way before I joined this site and when I looked for sbsed s12 I did not see anyone doing any at the time, and you really might not want to talk smack about his builds he builds some smooth running guns, its just that my s12 is a slug gun and always has been, KA does whine but that a side all his components work and if your puck works so great without the dish then why have it in the first place?

Edited by lucifer

WOW!!! I was just informed by Lauren that we just received a very nasty voicemail from King's Armory... It stated that I exactly copied their design and that although I said their design didn't do anything that mine does, among other ramblings. He also stated I was only a couple hours drive away! :lolol::lolol::lolol:

King's Armory, Are you kinding me? You can openly bash E-Tac on the twister piston but I can't give my opinion on the KA piston? First off I didn't bash, second off if you don't like what I said don't jack up your claims that are so easily called as BS.

And to further point out if you read and look carefully you will see the design is different. First off our design intent and advertised features are totally different and conflicting. Mine are correct and yours are wrong... I had gas chamber volume increase in consideration because it hurts, not help like you advertised. The dished area is smooth and flowing in ours and not choppy and broken like the KA piston. Most importantly if you read our stainless piston info you will see I clearly state that the dished area isn't considered a reliability increaser which it most definately shouldn't be claimed. I think the real issue here is I am now selling a better designed piston than the KA piston for $10 compared to the KA's $30 or so piston and I'm selling a booster piston that will really work as advertised for $16.

While we're at it I also want to call complete BS on your reported 1 to 2 thousand rounds fired before cleaning that you state on the KA piston. That has been urking me for a couple years now because it is one of the biggest loads of crap I've seen stated about an aftermarket saiga item. It's your name though I guess. But it is also this spewing of crap that makes me have to better explain why ours is different. Because the BS and distrust transfers over from items that don't live up to the stated claims.

What a complete rip off your KA piston has been and you should be ashamed of yourself! At least the Twister piston really does help keep the gun clean a little longer...

well if you actually think the twister puck keeps it cleaner than I will not even bother with your puck, they sent me all three pucks and guess what my little shorty would not cycle with any of them and worse than that after just a hundred rounds it was all gummed up. the factory puck was cleaner than theirs and ran a bit better and the ka puck I have works flawless and I can run hundreds of rounds without having to clean it.

Oh man... You mean a guy that wasn't going to buy a Booster piston isn't going to buy a Booster piston? Now I'm worried... Yeah, you should keep using your KA that is good for 1 to 2 thousands rounds without cleaning that you have to clean after hundreds... :lolol:

well there is a reason for that my s12 is a slug gun and as you should know slugs have a hell of a lot more fouling than 00buck or fed bulk pack so after a few hundred rounds it needs to be cleaned but hey if you really want me to put your puck to the test and tell me it will outperform the ka puck? Remember my s12 has a stock gas system with a 9" barrel, so your puck will cycle bulk fed with this? will your puck cycle slugs more reliably? for it to be reliable would mean i won't have jams or fte with your puck.

The info is there to read... If your having fte with your 9inch gun when using slugs then the work was poorly done and your gun is severly lacking already. If a competent builder did it for you it should cycle bulk stuff with the factory piston (all mine do), lol!!!! Did that guru Glockmonger do the work for you??? You might want to have it looked at by someone that knows what is going on if your having troubles with it...

Like I "tried" to tell you guys on the AZ forum... If you want to know something about the saiga-12 you come here, PERIOD!

Also, I'll bet the business that the Booster will out preform the KA on reliability any day of the week and I can even take away the dished ring and finish... I never said it was a stay clean piston though and neither should have KA. I have 2 KA and they never kept the gun clean one bit longer! Just so you know we have tested probably 10 different stay clean concepts of our own design and some in multiple variations. None, even free flowing designs did much. The best we had was doubling the time between cleanings and this wasn't consistant. At times even it would clog prematurly... These were also including those with joey tears finishes (joke I made in the AZ thread about KA).

actually no glockmonger has not touched my gun I had my saiga converted and chopped down in '05 way before I joined this site and when I looked for sbsed s12 I did not see anyone doing any at the time, and you really might not want to talk smack about his builds he builds some smooth running guns its just that my s12 is a slug gun and always has been KA does whine but that aside all his components work and if your puck works so great without the dish then why have it in the first place?

You call your gun a slug gun... I think you only call it that because that is all that will run in it. A 9 inch barreled slug gun? As far as Glockmonger... I never said anything about his work, only asked about it... He did rub me the wrong way though. I also stand by my statement that if he doesn't know or hasn't seen some of the things he said then he isn't nearly as up to par on these saiga-12s as he, you, or others think...

Oh, I put the dish there for the reasons I stated. It is a slight increase in effiecency. SLIGHT being the key word. If you care to read instead of just typing you can read more details on that. It has nothing at all to do with pressure curve like KA claims on his... You should go back and reread everything in that AZ thread very carefully to see how many times KA contradicts his own claims on somethings... He obviously doesn't read well either and makes many ASSumptions as well. You have to be very careful claiming ASSumtions as fact. Very often it will make you look like an ignorant ASS. It can also border on slander in certain situations. When I state things I have repeatable testing to back it up as fact or I state it is an assumtion and I don't know for sure ( to keep the "ass" lowercase)...

• Like 1

You call your gun a slug gun... I think you only call it that because that is all that will run in it. A 9 inch barreled slug gun?

That's hilarious! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Mike, I know the thread is moving fast, but would you mind speaking to my question of wear resistance? Since you've swapped from steel, what kind of lifespan reduction do you expect? It's a $16.00 part so it's ok if it doesn't last as long, but I'd like to know what kind of a difference we are looking at.

actually no glockmonger has not touched my gun I had my saiga converted and chopped down in '05 way before I joined this site and when I looked for sbsed s12 I did not see anyone doing any at the time, and you really might not want to talk smack about his builds he builds some smooth running guns its just that my s12 is a slug gun and always has been KA does whine but that aside all his components work and if your puck works so great without the dish then why have it in the first place?

You call your gun a slug gun... I think you only call it that because that is all that will run in it. A 9 inch barreled slug gun? As far as Glockmonger... I never said anything about his work, only asked about it... He did rub me the wrong way though. I also stand by my statement that if he doesn't know or hasn't seen some of the things he said then he isn't nearly as up to par on these saiga-12s as he, you, or others think...

Oh, I put the dish there for the reasons I stated. It is a slight increase in effiecency. SLIGHT being the key word. If you care to read instead of just typing you can read more details on that. It has nothing at all to do with pressure curve like KA claims on his... You should go back and reread everything in that AZ thread very carefully to see how many times KA contradicts his own claims on somethings... He obviously doesn't read well either and makes many ASSumptions as well. You have to be very careful claiming ASSumtions as fact. Very often it will make you look like an ignorant ASS. It can also border on slander in certain situations. When I state things I have repeatable testing to back it up as fact or I state it is an assumtion and I don't know for sure ( to keep the "ass" lowercase)...

like I said it was built in 05 and back then nobody was sbsing them, unless you were? I had AZEX convert it and sbs the saiga and it was the first he had sbsed.

factory gas system with a 9" bbl. and I doubt your puck would be any better than the etac if anything i would say it is the same...

• Like 1

mike,

I got it, I shot it , it works as described, feels like a toy part it is so light! whats the expected life span in # of rounds? reviewed it on a differ thread for you! I' am not sending it back, just so you know! thanks!:super: :super:

Edited by Guns Are Great

ok, im lost. i have heard from a lot of people that a KA piston will help cycling. i cant imagine all that is a lie. on the other hand, mike has a outstanding reputation and releases extremely good products, and if he says somthing its probably true. so what i see is a company with a relativly proven product IMO, and a company with a product that is almost guarenteed to do as advertised, and both are discrediting the other. i believe the only way to settle this is a head to head test on a stock saiga, with a video showing the performance, and showing a detailed overview of each puck, and shows each puck being inserted into the gun, so nobody screams sabatoge. also, i say stock saiga, not out of the box saiga, because the gun has to be broken in for a accurate test. just my 2c.gif

+1 yooper14.5. I'm waiting for Mikes puck and I have a KA in one of my 12's. When I can, I plan on taking them to the range with some cheap bird shot and see if I can get either puck to fail. My guns are all 4 port and run fine, but I'm sure I can run one cylinder bore, turn the gas all the way down, and or add heavier 1911 front springs to induce a failure and see which one induces failure first. I've also got a buddy at work that I think still has a unconverted gun that had ftf/fte issues if he hasn't messed with it. I'm not doing the whole video bit, but I'll know. Just for shits n grins I turned a dish in one of my factory plugs that I may throw in, standard factory, and a old Tromix. Sounds like there's a pretty big gap in weight, my bet is that's going to be the big factor-figure you just have to get the energy transfered to the bolt carrier and the mass of the carrier takes it from there. Makes sense to me that a lighter mass puck would accelerate quicker and only travels about an inch to get the job done.

Edit-Does anyone know, out of the Factory, Gunfixr, and MD gas plug-which has the most "gas restrictive" setting capability if I want to starve it for gas without shutting it completely off.

Also, if any of you have either new MD or the KA puck and the factory gas plug with the stand off in the center, spin your plug around and see if there's any verified or perceived difference in having the dish face the gas source.

Edited by 6500rpm

>>ok, im lost. i have heard from a lot of people that a KA piston will help cycling. i cant imagine all that is a lie.

The KA puck is a good US made part. It did improve cycling to a slight degree over the factory part in my gun. Not a night & day difference, just slightly. I suspect Mike's basic stainless puck will perform very close to the KA puck, give or take some small margin. It has the benefit of a much better price point though.

The Booster is obviously a different animal......

i think we are seeing a loyalty battle going!:boxing: but I've heard lots of good stuff about the ka products, but the prices are hard on the wallet! maybe worth it but, its a hard sell! and The booster puc works on my gun! but will do more evals with different loads and settings! But the initial 100 rds are definite improvements! and it look like ka threw the 1st punch on this one! I would say It is a good puck but when you can get one that works for basically 1/2 the price it stings the competiton! looks like we need a :beer: summit!:lolol:

there 's a factory puc with a stand off in the center?

+1 yooper14.5. I'm waiting for Mikes puck and I have a KA in one of my 12's. When I can, I plan on taking them to the range with some cheap bird shot and see if I can get either puck to fail. My guns are all 4 port and run fine, but I'm sure I can run one cylinder bore, turn the gas all the way down, and or add heavier 1911 front springs to induce a failure and see which one induces failure first. I've also got a buddy at work that I think still has a unconverted gun that had ftf/fte issues if he hasn't messed with it. I'm not doing the whole video bit, but I'll know. Just for shits n grins I turned a dish in one of my factory plugs that I may throw in, standard factory, and a old Tromix. Sounds like there's a pretty big gap in weight, my bet is that's going to be the big factor-figure you just have to get the energy transfered to the bolt carrier and the mass of the carrier takes it from there. Makes sense to me that a lighter mass puck would accelerate quicker and only travels about an inch to get the job done.

Edit-Does anyone know, out of the Factory, Gunfixr, and MD gas plug-which has the most "gas restrictive" setting capability if I want to starve it for gas without shutting it completely off.

Also, if any of you have either new MD or the KA puck and the factory gas plug with the stand off in the center, spin your plug around and see if there's any verified or perceived difference in having the dish face the gas source.

Edited by Guns Are Great

>>ok, im lost. i have heard from a lot of people that a KA piston will help cycling. i cant imagine all that is a lie.

The KA puck is a good US made part. It did improve cycling to a slight degree over the factory part in my gun. Not a night & day difference, just slightly. I suspect Mike's basic stainless puck will perform very close to the KA puck, give or take some small margin. It has the benefit of a much better price point though.

I have a feeling ill agree in the end, but untill i see how well the booster works im gonna keep my mouth shut. I still want to see a test.

i like the css puck design, also! I think mikes design weight and dish and css 3 groove and tail design would make an awesome puck??? sorry guys this is likely uncalled for!:cryss: I'll use all three, mikes, css', and the fact. puc and if good ole ka will give me one I'll eval theirs also!

Edited by Guns Are Great

I dont have the video capability or would show you, but seriously got ftes with hip firing no bracing the stock on setting 5 low power 3 dram stuff wally world bulk packs, and with the booster i didnt for 100 rds. did a post on it stating different mags used. .

I have a feeling ill agree in the end, but untill i see how well the booster works im gonna keep my mouth shut. I still want to see a test.

Thing is, we currently lack video or testimonial proof that it works any better than the ka puck. I trust that mike isnt lying when he says his is better, but i want some sort of proof first. No offense meant toward either manufacturer.

Thing is, we currently lack video or testimonial proof that it works any better than the ka puck. I trust that mike isnt lying when he says his is better, but i want some sort of proof first. No offense meant toward either manufacturer.

There are a couple of testimonials in this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/65191-md-arms-booster-puck-range-results/

Results look promising so far, I'll try to break the camera out if I get my hands on one next week. Won't have a KA to compate it to though, just the factory.