Who else is working on their LRBHO install?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part 2   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBeITNcZVP0     Thanks. Enjoy

Part 1   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhw3JKg6ok          

Posted Images

My LRBHO is functioning as it was intended however I don't want the bolt to close when I insert a mag. I saw JLangs video but not 100% clear on the notch he put in the rear of the LRBHO, videos and pic are great BTW. I have seen it discussed in the threads but wondering if there is a sure way to do it that is working for those that like that set up.

My LRBHO is functioning as it was intended however I don't want the bolt to close when I insert a mag. I saw JLangs video but not 100% clear on the notch he put in the rear of the LRBHO, videos and pic are great BTW. I have seen it discussed in the threads but wondering if there is a sure way to do it that is working for those that like that set up.

if you look at my pics post #129 you can get a good view of the notch where the lrbho catchs the carrier , if youve cycled youre gun enough you should be able to see a wear mark on the lrbho . i just used a triangle file , it shouldnt take much with pressure from the carrier spring wedging it in there.

What did you use for a shim?

Tnek sent it to me. I don't know why his thread was removed. It is just plexiglass that he bought from lowes iirc. Peel off the protective plastic, cut the material to the desired size, sand the side a cross hatch into the surface to be glued to the follower (as well as the follower surface to be glued), crazy glue the shim on the front of the follower and stick it in a vice over night to set the glue without the shim moving.

I tried it on an AGP too just for the hell of it (I had discovered that when a fully loaded agp was left locked into the gun against a closed bolt, not only would the rounds deform, but the follower would get stuck in a rocked down position and cause feed issues so I wanted to try to reduce the follower rocking. I gave up on that whole thing and just leave the bolt locked back now). The shim was too big so I had to sand it down until the follower would move freely through the body. No problems with it either.

if you look at my pics post #129 you can get a good view of the notch where the lrbho catchs the carrier , if youve cycled youre gun enough you should be able to see a wear mark on the lrbho . i just used a triangle file , it shouldnt take much with pressure from the carrier spring wedging it in there.

Thanks, works like a charm. Now some minor fine tuning and I should be good to shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on it. While it can work, there are quite a few variables, and way too much fitting required to get it to work. Also, even the pics Tom put up of the one he installed shows the beak portion of the bho sitting so low that the rounds must feed from the beak, not the magazine feed lips.

Personally, I have not found a way to get the bho to allow the rounds to come all the way up to the magazine feed lips, go down far enough to clear the bolt as it passes by, and not bind the rear end of the bolt carrier at the same time. At least one of these things must be sacrificed. Usually, it is the round feed height. The biggest problem here is that the pivot point is the hammer pin. This leaves the section forward of the pivot point somewhat shorter than the section rearward of the pivot point, which means that the rear end point will always move more than the front end point. The front end actually needs to move more than the rear end does considering what the rear end does versus what the front end does.

While the gun will feed from this lower feed height, it will always be at least a bit more finicky, due to many variations in the guns and magazines, and even the rounds themselves.

Also, to really work the beak portion must be thinner than I personally find acceptable for long term durability.

I have figured out what must be done, and almost have a working prototype.

I am interested in your design. Mine would work most of the time. I had ground the HB too short and it would lock the bolt back at times when a round would slide forward, normally the 4th. This was a little frustrating at a 3-gun tournament a couple of weeks ago. I had some issues with pinched lips on the SGM mags causing the rounds to tip. But for a fix I bought a FN SLP.

Thanks for your opinion on the part gunfixer. I've been curious after seeing pics of the hawk beak shaved down to resemble a dental pick, just how well that'll hold up. I want to see it after 1k & 2k rounds...

I would have dived in myself but I don't want to hack into the bolt to test how well the part holds up...

Back to the shop for me same problems as gunfixer, I ended up &%$#ing the 1st one up so Tom sent the free replacement. I talked to Jim Fuller about it and he believes that the gun should remain as intended. Really glade I didn't carve into my receiver until I got 100% results. I may put this on e-bay :chris: I am just not convinced it will work and have the desired operation. Let more testers come forward and compare notes before I'm continuing any more fitting, like stated way to many variables on fitment.

I basically took Tom's part and completely changed how it works. Maybe I should apply for a patent? :rolleyes: Anyway, it works 100% with factory mags and 95% with drums. The problem Im having now is this is the weak link in my gun. If my gun jams its because of the LRBHO and thats not good enough for me. Im at the point now where I want to take some pics to let you guys see what Ive done and figure out what Im going to have to do to fill in the notches and gaps in my gun.

Using what Ive learned from this project I believe I can make a LRBHO that will work and not require major surgery to your firearm. I guess that will be my next project.

Well, I have 3 of them that I modified in 3 different ways, and 2 cut into guns. I can and will weld up the bolt notches.

I already have a design, with one prototype unit. However, I was figuring it out as I made it, and already see improvements to be made. I will make another and test it. It works similarly, always locking the bolt, except when rounds come up from the magazine and deactivate it. However, the relief of the bolt face will be significantly less. I believe it will require much less fitting as well. It does allow the rounds to come up all the way to the magazine feed lips.

However, there will be no way to externally operate the release. The only way to release the bolt will be to grab the handle and move it a bit, just like releasing the factory manual BHO. It may be settable to auto-release, but I won't know that until I'm testing one, and really, I'm not too concerend about having that feature. The reason for this is that with the different sizes and styles of magazines, and the amount of pressure exerted against the feed lips varying as much as it does, as well as some 3-gun matches requiring starting a stage downloaded in an effort to slow down the Saiga guys, getting auto-release set right would be rather difficult. Also, magwells allow the magazine to go straight in, as opposed to rocking in. Thus means that it would be possible for the bolt to be tripped with the rounds nose end still a bit too low to feed, which would cause a jam.

I personally think that for the utmost in reliability, the BHO should be manually released, as that way it cannot release at an inappropiate moment.

• Like 1

Mine is on the shelf, I totally agree with you Gunfixer, that "the BHO should be manually released, as that way it cannot release at an inappropriate moment." Let me know what you come up with. The up side to the debacle is that I cleaned up (Bead Blasted and Moly Resin) my S12 and dressed up it's furniture a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
How about a couple for sale? I'm in :smoke:

Yes please.

I would even pay for some plans so I can make my own. For personal use only.

All I would have to do is repair my gun from my last LRBHO (.