Found a new one - Parabellum Armament AKARS

Found another AK rail system that looks very, very easy to install, easy on an off - appears very similar to the dog leg system, but simplified. comes with a top cover so you can swithc back adn forth betwen the rail and standard AK within a couple minnutes just by changin gthe sight leaf. Spoke with the company, and they claim they had this idea first, and have shipped units to Iraq for Iraqi police and military units, as well as have a bunch sold to the Indian army for thier rifle. Not sure what to think about all that though. At any rate, kind of a differant take on it - what does everyone think? I thought I'd pass t on for everyone to inspect;

http://www.theparabellumgroup.com/AKARS%3A-The-Advantage.php

anyone have any ideas, input or thoughts about this?

I know DPH Arms was also working on one of these a long time ago. I haven't seen one up close yet but I hope they still bring theirs to market. I did recently get one of the new TWS rails like this and I'm pretty impressed with the quality and the light weight.

I do like the way these guys have made an integral leaf sight similar to the AK sight on theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually these guys came by our shop looking for help with the design and manufacturing. The proto they had was a little crude. I told them they needed to add the bumps up front to keep them from coming forward and knocking the scope on the upper hand guard. We also incorporated the rear sight to the rail and made it mil spec for them. We drew it out in CAD for them. This was late summer '10. They was looking for someone to help them bring it to market. We offered to manufacture it but they went with another company that supposedly could get it out quickly. All I know is if we were the ones they picked it would have been released months ago... The company they went with was making big promises of gov contracts and such... I tried to tell them they were missing a big boat in the civilian market but they wanted to mess with government red tape instead. I guess that is why it still isn't released...

They was a nice group of guys but had zero understanding of how design and manufacturing truly works. It is a nice concept though and I wish them the best of luck.

Actually these guys came by our shop looking for help with the design and manufacturing. The proto they had was a little crude. I told them they needed to add the bumps up front to keep them from coming forward and knocking the scope on the upper hand guard. We also incorporated the rear sight to the rail and made it mil spec for them. We drew it out in CAD for them. This was late summer '10. They was looking for someone to help them bring it to market. We offered to manufacture it but they went with another company that supposedly could get it out quickly. All I know is if we were the ones they picked it would have been released months ago... The company they went with was making big promises of gov contracts and such... I tried to tell them they were missing a big boat in the civilian market but they wanted to mess with government red tape instead. I guess that is why it still isn't released...

They was a nice group of guys but had zero understanding of how design and manufacturing truly works. It is a nice concept though and I wish them the best of luck.

Hey Mike!

Thanks for the input. I should have these units in ym ahnd within a few days - less than 4 days at most, and I hope to have more info then. They should be available commerciallt after that they say . They state they have just sold an order "from 5th SF group, from in theater". Again, I ahve no way of substantiating this, but if it is true that sounds promising. THey are going to have a stiff competition in the Texas Weapon System dog elg rail I think, but I do liek the "traditional" AK rear sight that is built in. We'll see what happens.

I'll try to post some after thoughts once I've had a chance to mount it on a rifle and give it a try.

How does it maintain zero any better then the other rear cover mounted rails?

I went with the DPH Arms Beryl Rail because it has a solid mounting system, which was only improved when I replaced the rear fastener with a 1/4 turn camlock for tool-less removal.

basically, it retains a "normal" AK sighting iron system and has a "no tools required" installation, and should fit every AKM and AK-74 patform out there. zero is retains because the rails is held fore by the sight block, aft by teh trunion, and side to side bu teh over fttig over the receiver edges.

Not absolutely better, just differant - which is why I was asking around about it.

I'm going to try to compare it to a TWS dog leg and see if there is any performance differance.

• 5 months later...