Looking for an AK or similar in CNY

I'm mainly used to domestic weapons like my AR-15, but I got a Saiga 12 a while ago and have been enjoying it. I'd like to pick up an AK47 for my collection, mainly just for plinking. There's not many gun stores around my area, a few minutes west of Syracuse, NY, that stock fun guns. All I have been able to find is a Saiga 7.62x39 for $399 and a WASR for $499. I like the idea of the Saiga, but I don't know if it's worth it, because I'll probably have to put $200+ to convert it and add new furniture. What would you recommend? Any good local dealers in CNY? Prefer not to do any ordering of stuff, because I don't know an FFL. Thank you.

Tims Guns in Elbridge

Franks in Canastota

Creekside in Peterboro

Cant remember the name, but just west of Newark on Rt 31 heading west...on the right side

Nice username. It's the same one I rock on Arfcom; NY_Shooter, lol. Kinda became pointless once I moved out of NY. :lolol:

• Like 1

I've been using it for few years over on the SKS boards. Tried to sign up on arfcom with it and... *Fail*. Good move getting out. Miss the snow much?

Not at all, lol. I keep a weather app on my phone for here in SC, and for up in my hometown in NY, so I know the prime time to rub it in my friend's/fam's faces up in NY. They got a lot of pictures of the bright and sunny weather down here, when the snow-Gods shit on them up there. :D

I've been using it for few years over on the SKS boards. Tried to sign up on arfcom with it and... *Fail*. Good move getting out. Miss the snow much?

Not at all, lol. I keep a weather app on my phone for here in SC, and for up in my hometown in NY, so I know the prime time to rub it in my friend's/fam's faces up in NY. They got a lot of pictures of the bright and sunny weather down here, when the snow-Gods shit on them up there. :D

the snow-Gods shit on SC some too this year :P still I'm sure not to the extent as NY, and we have insane amounts of pollen to deal with instead!!!

I'm mainly used to domestic weapons like my AR-15, but I got a Saiga 12 a while ago and have been enjoying it. I'd like to pick up an AK47 for my collection, mainly just for plinking. There's not many gun stores around my area, a few minutes west of Syracuse, NY, that stock fun guns. All I have been able to find is a Saiga 7.62x39 for $399 and a WASR for $499. I like the idea of the Saiga, but I don't know if it's worth it, because I'll probably have to put $200+ to convert it and add new furniture. What would you recommend? Any good local dealers in CNY? Prefer not to do any ordering of stuff, because I don't know an FFL. Thank you.

A basic saiga conversion can be done for around $110.

$28 Tapco FCG

$25 Pistol grip, screw,and nut

$7 FCG retainer

$32 Tapco Warsaw length stock

$2 Hole plugs

$6 Duplicolor spray paint

$0 re-use old trigger guard

$10-15 for mags

Check out B&J guns on rt.5 in Albany. They're a little pricey, but they have AK's, SKS, and quite a bit of other stuff. $399 for the saiga in NY is an ok price, being you don't have to pay a shipping fee and a FFL transfer fee like you would if you ordered one.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in central NY too and yeah, you should definitely check out Tims Guns in Elbridge and also the Herb Phillipson stores in the area.. They normally have saigas in stock.. Tim's in Elbridge can also be a receiving FFL if you find something you wanna mail order