No-Gunsmithing Forend Update

Alrighty, I have two no-gunsmithing standard length lower forends for the Saiga-308 drying as we speak. They are currently in a rectangular shape awaiting forming into one shape or another.

The question is, which ones? And what materials for future models?

The prototypes are made of pine wood and could be made into an RPK type shape or a Yugo M76/77/90 shape. I could also go for am absolutely simplistic shape like the East German Bakelite style, but I'm sure you all have other preferences of wood and shape.

Obviously the above mentioned wood and shape would be the cheapest by a good margin, but using quality hardwood and more intricate shapes would still be affordable. I have ideas for matching upper handguards, but as far as I know you can use an AK-74 gas tube with retainers on all Saiga rifles.

While I also have a concept for a no-gunsmithing retainer for the handguard of your choice, most AK handguards wouldn't fit around the barrel for the S-308. I could see about modding them for you, but in that case I might as well install my own permanently attached retainer.

So I have a local woodworking store that offers a variety of elegant and exotic wood at reasonable prices. Cost of wood as well as difficulty working with it would be reflected in the price. I would ask $30 shipped (cont-US) for handguards similar to my current prototypes (retainer and all hardware included), and would go up to $40-60 depending on shape andwood desired.

I can make these to order just like my G3 mag adaptors, but if many folks want the same style and wood, I can set up a better system and ask less $$.

So tell me what you want, what you really really want. Ie wood type and handguard style. Options for handguard include:

1. Beavertail

2. Blocky Galil style

3. Extended Krink style (with lower bulge)

4. RPK style

5. Yugo Style

6. Rounded AKM style

7. Sharper Bulgarian style (offered on some stamped Arsenal rifles)

8. Others by request, from FPK to SVD to whatever.

My prototypes are the standard AKM size 6" long from front of receiver to edge of retainer. They fit by being slid on over a smaller diameter section of the barrel, moved back into their usual position, and fastened like the original Saiga forend at the back by a screw. If you want a different length, I would have to test to see if it would fit the same way or require another method.

I do have a more typical Saiga shaped forend developed, actually it looks more like the VEPR. That's a completely different animal, but let me know if you want such a thing.

Also, I suggested making free float handguards before, and interest was low. If anyone wants a free float handguard after all, let me know.

Folks have also mentioned such things for the Saiga 410. These handguards for the S-308 would probably not fit the 410 snugly, but the same design will work with different dimensions which I have figured out. Let me know what 410 handguards you want, because I can make them just as easily with slightly different specs.

Finally, remember that these handguards not only would make your Saiga more AK-like, but they would also count towards US parts compliance.

So talk to me folks!

I'd say something harder than pine. Oak is strong enough and pretty cheap. I know that .25x3x2in strips are just a few bucks at Lowes ( enough to make about 4 sets of 1911 grips!) I'm sure you'd have to do something thicker and build it in a U then shape it, but it would be alot easier than milling out from a solid block.

Umm... guess thats my only input, I plan on making my own freefloated foregrip. ( if I ever actually managed to get my S308!)

Beech and Birch are definately traditional for the AKs... I'm a fan of Walnut.

The Yugo style is good. SVD style would be cool. Please, not the Galil. It's a great gun and everything, but the furniture is F&(^ing hideous.

Give me a few days, I'll be gone and am in the midst of computer difficulties, requiring service. In the meantime, I may finish a few of the real ones.

The prototypes are nothing to look at, I just made them out of cheap and available wood to test the concept. They fit fine, just are a bit anemic. Course I think standard AK handguards are anemic.

Will update when I can, rest assured that while away from the internet I'll still be busy with the tools.

Picked up some maple wood today that would be good for most of those styles. RPK style seems to be a popular consensus, so I think that'll be the standard, but I'll definitely try to offer others one at a time.

Galil style would require a bigger chunk of wood and cost a bit more than the ones that include just a lower forend only. But I can certainly do it.

Speak up folks, you can see where suggestions are drawing my attention, so make your desires known. Lots of folks have ideas of what "would be cool", which is great. I need to know what you guys actually want to buy for real, cause only then can I offer it successfully and be able to keep doing so.

Update: Did some studying tonight and hope to prototype a few very very VERY soon. I have an original design in mind that would be like a cross between Krink style, standard AKM style, and standard Saiga style.

Standard styles offered will probably be RPK, AKM, and Zastava. I could do many other styles by request and for not insanely much more $$.

Edited by BattleRifleG3