talking about slugs, would it be worth the effort to drill out the front part of a solid slug to make some sort of "hollow-point" slug?

Almost certainly easier to buy HP slugs.. the price difference isn't so great.

OTOH, a 12ga slug mold and target shot shells allows easy creation of slugs.

Solid slug: Dump the target shot out, melt it down and mold it into a slug. Repack the shell. Done.

Frangible slug: Dump the shot into a pipe with an ID close to a 12ga bore. Use wooden dowel and mallet to compress the shot into a slug. Repack the shell.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's some from Russia called steel elephants

i think the point here is that when you want to modify or innovate on the kind of projectile you can use, there is just no beating the good-old-shotgun platform. just imagine all the stuff one can pu

do you think it would be possible to buy the projectiles by themselves, then make a reload round with it?   im certainly no expert, but it seems like there may be less paperwork involved if you coul

Posted Images

talking about slugs, would it be worth the effort to drill out the front part of a solid slug to make some sort of "hollow-point" slug?

Almost certainly easier to buy HP slugs.. the price difference isn't so great.

OTOH, a 12ga slug mold and target shot shells allows easy creation of slugs.

Solid slug: Dump the target shot out, melt it down and mold it into a slug. Repack the shell. Done.

Frangible slug: Dump the shot into a pipe with an ID close to a 12ga bore. Use wooden dowel and mallet to compress the shot into a slug. Repack the shell.

thanks for the info. gave me great ideas for killing some time. and oh BTW, we dont have hollow point slugs here (PITY). we only have birdshots, buckshots and solid slugs (at least here in our locale).

I haven't received them yet. Hopefully by my weekend range trip. Could u elmers glue bird shot together to make a fragile with a plastic cap on end for aero? I know my ideas are getting more random

seems like a sound idea. i've also toyed around with the idea of just drilling a small hole on the end of a birdshot shell and letting superglue drip into the central part of the of the pellets and not into the periphery. dont even have to touch the shell anymore. i would be testing this soon. will let you know how it goes.

thanks for the info. gave me great ideas for killing some time. and oh BTW, we dont have hollow point slugs here (PITY). we only have birdshots, buckshots and solid slugs (at least here in our locale).

My bad. I didn't take note of your location.

Hmm.. well, making a HP slug shouldn't be TOO difficult if you have the tools.

You'll need a drill press, and a short section of pipe (metal or sturdy plastic) that the molded slug will fit into snuggly but without needing to force it, and you'll need a scrape piece of wood.. pine or something.. about an inch thick and call it 5x5 inches on the sides.

Drill a hole into the wood to match the OD of the pipe piece. Fit the pipe in snuggly enough to stay put but easy enough to pull out by hand and clamp the board down to the drill press table so that the drill bit is centered in the hole.

Insert the slug into the pipe "tip" up, push the pipe down into the hole in the wood.

Chuck up the drill press to drill about 1/4 into the slug and have at it.

Pull the pipe fitting out, remove the slug, and repeat.

.. you can use the same basic method, but with a few clamps which hold the board to a table and use a hand drill.. but obviously you won't get the same consistency as with a press. If you are careful and take your time, it is easy to get results.. but you can't crank 'em out as fast as you can with a press.

One recipe that I like a lot is to use bulk pack target shot to form the solid slugs, and drill them out. Then I add a dab of hot glue into the hole and drop a single steel BBB pellet into the hole. I find that really helps open it up, especially with the lower velocity that the target load charges give.

You can experiment with the diameter of the hole and all that stuff too.. I never pursued it that far. Mostly because I got tired of cleaning up lead shavings from around my drill press.

I haven't received them yet. Hopefully by my weekend range trip. Could u elmers glue bird shot together to make a fragile with a plastic cap on end for aero? I know my ideas are getting more random

yeah, you could probably do that.. There are places on the web that will make small custom plastic parts for you.. google 3D printing .. expensive, but low quantity .. so its great for prototyping. You design the part with their software, upload it to their website, and they ship you the parts. I'd get them to make me a few small plastic containers with an aerodynamic shape but with the tip of the nose cut off and open into the hollow cavity. The OD of the container should fit the 12ga bore.

Hit the tip with a dab of elmers to keep the shot from getting loose. Fill the capsule with shot leaving 1/4 inch empty (you want a bit of empty space so it can be capped).

Now you need to cap it with something which will produce drag in order to stabilize it out of a smooth bore.

I'd probably make a plastic piece which threads into the capsule and has a tail for drag.. you could also try something like a cork with a few lengths of paracord glued in to produce drag. It'll be less expensive without threads, but I would just go the whole way if I was going to do it.. if you get 'em made bulk it'll all be much less expensive.

The theory behind this sort of projectile is upon impact, the unsupported cut-off tip gets crushed, begins to open and slows the plastic jacket down, while the lead maintains momentum and proceeds into the target where a dense ball of lead shot soon turns into a cloud as it disperses and tears open a wound.

You could even specify having the capsule scored along the cardinals to help induce the jacket to split open entirely.

Once you get a prototype design going, you should be able to find a place that is willing to run them off for you in bulk for much less money than the 3D printing/prototype places can do.

If you skip the aerodynamic jacket.. you can do this:

Get a sheet of thin mylar (like an anti-static bag for computer parts), some thin copper wire, and lead shot. Make a wad of lead shot that will fit in the shell and ball it up in the mylar tightly. Use the copper wire to wind around the mylar to keep it all together and produce a little tail. Cut the tale nice and even and be neat with the wiring. After assembled, cut a few 1/8" slits in the mylar at the front and pack it into a shell. Upon impact, the mylar rips open releasing the shot.

Personally, I find it more interesting to improvise effective rounds from a stuff I can find on-hand and some target loads than to go through a lot of effort making fancy stuff.

I thought about like a ball n shot combo. a large ball in front with a tail made out of birdshot. When it would impact something the ball would slow down but the shot would still be moving maybe ramping down the ball to be thrown to the sides makin a bigger hole

I thought about like a ball n shot combo. a large ball in front with a tail made out of birdshot. When it would impact something the ball would slow down but the shot would still be moving maybe ramping down the ball to be thrown to the sides makin a bigger hole

Unlikely. The ball has more mass, and therefore more momentum. It will continue through flesh easier than the birdshot tail.

With the plastic container example, it is the lead birdshot carrying the momentum.