Popularity of Saiga 12 (not aft related)

I know things have changed recently but why hasn't the Saiga 12 gained near the popularity with the average shooter as most other shotguns? It is such a great platform in my opinion and doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves. I really cant think of a shotgun that i enjoy more and most people seem to come to the same conclusion upon shooting one. Is it mostly that many people are not aware of the ability to convert it (I used to be in this category) or that its too unfamiliar and non traditional (my father had this perspective)? Just wondering why it took the fear of losing them for them to finally get more noticed.

Please explain what got you to first buy one. I'd love to hear how we all ended up here in what I believe is way too small of a community for such a great weapon.

Edited by Jeep297

first time I heard about them was from a friend who told me about this 'weird mag=fed shotgun' so I started researching and found the Saiga family of shotguns. I went to some shows and shops but couldn't find one. Finally I talked to the counter-guys at one of the shops and they told me that they could order me one.

after that, it was all downhill....

I was looking for a shotgun for home defense and just plinking, but I wanted a removable mag in the 12ga size. A few friends pointed me towards this and I thought what the heck. I didn't buy @ the time as I didnt have the $ for it but I just kept looking till one of the local shops said they had one and I had some cash and was gonna buy a 12ga and a deer rifle and I bought. I haven't shot it yet but its mine and I'm stoked about it.

I first heard of the Saiga 12 several months ago, on ShotGunWorld forum, more specifically, the "Basement" or tactical shotguns board. I was immediately impressed because the few owners of Saigas there were somewhat looked down upon by the tactical guys as a whole, and yet, would defend their choice of a Saiga with both common sense, and a sense of fun as well.

Looking on YouTube, at those incredible 20 round mag dumps, gave me shivers up my backbone, an almost mystical experience, and a driving urge to have one that couldn't be denied.

So I importuned a dealer at a local gun show, backed him into a corner and demanded that he price me one, and order it RIGHT NOW. I had it less than a week later, and that began a real common Saiga saga. Not being handsome, I've opted for being handy, and when the gun didn't respond well to several pounds of added on (but absolutely necessary...note: there's sarcasm there, if one looks) accessories, I found time to disrobe the gun, and profile and polish the internals (openness demands that I give thanks and much credit to Pauly for this, as well as other posters on the How to Polish thread, on which Cobra comes to mind first as well).

My awesomely performing Saiga 12, a considerably cheaper gun than the several Benellis I own, is now my pride and joy, and sports nought but a 500 lumen light, a top-slung sling, and, oh! Horrors!!, a Tapco T6 stock, which gives me the short LOP upon which I dote. The folks who've seen it, and/or shot it, are now making their kids go without shoes, and forcing them to eat vegetables, while saving up to buy their own, more expensive, Saiga 12.

Yeah, I'll convert it, eventually, after I convert my Saiga 7.62X39. Impetus for that was given by purchasing a Century Arms AK47 a couple of weeks ago, which made me see the light insofar as converted, imported sporter AK's are concerned. And being handy, I'm certain I can match or exceed Century's level of workmanship.

Anyhow, that's my story....and if I'm called on it, I'll just change it to fit the need.

Edited by PJJ

I saw mine in the shop and went and got the cash immediately! Love at first sight! Of course I have relatives that I would consider to be "Shotgun Snobs" Very much into bird hunting, they take it to the upper deck! I don't know if their dogs do anything but work on retrieving. Anywho, they seem to think it is an Aberration for sure. I find a lot of closed minds regarding my "Slug Slinger", "It's an AK, if it were AR based..." "what do you need that for?..." "If you are shooting slugs, why don't you just use a rifle?" and my favorite, "That's not a REAL shotgun"......WTF?

I try to be very open minded toward other peoples choices of weapons and am happy that they are into guns at all! I think lots of folks just don't "Get it".

It is the most enjoyable smile maker I have ever owned! Pisses guys off when you Trap shoot better than them with an 18" barreled AK lookin' Monster of a shotgun. My first time out with my Snobby relatives when my hit percentage with my S-12 was a staggering 92%!! They simply could not believe an AK based Shotgun could do that! It blew me away as well, but I didn't tell them that! Acted like it happens every day. To be honest, I don't always shoot that well, but I was definately "in the Zone" that day.

To some folks it has to have a rich bird hunting heritage, fancy engravings of dogs and geese, and a real long barrel to be a Real shotgun.

I first heard about the S12 from a Gabe Suarez email outlining his top 5 home defense guns. I'd never heard of a 'Saiga', so I started researching it. Liked the idea behind it, and decided I wanted one. Poof.... Here I am! (and many hundred dollars poorer, I may add...:lolol: )

I first learned of the Saiga from Sportsmans Guide selling the 10 rnd mags. The thought of a mag fed shotgun got me drooling. I discovered this forum while researching, started asking around my area gun shops, and just before the bullshit hit bought mine. Now that it has been de-vodka-specialed I really enjoy it.

I'm just a simple ole hillbilly but folks are raised on fords and chevys eventually try toyotas and nissans but takes a long time! same with the saiga and ak's in general, raised on remington singles and s/s dbl barrels, finally get remington pumps, and semi autos, then start branching out to ar's and aks etc...?? just my take on it! the AK platform is a fantastic weapon set up!

I know things have changed recently but why hasn't the Saiga 12 gained near the popularity with the average shooter as most other shotguns? It is such a great platform in my opinion and doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves. I really cant think of a shotgun that i enjoy more and most people seem to come to the same conclusion upon shooting one. Is it mostly that many people are not aware of the ability to convert it (I used to be in this category) or that its too unfamiliar and non traditional (my father had this perspective)? Just wondering why it took the fear of losing them for them to finally get more noticed.

Please explain what got you to first buy one. I'd love to hear how we all ended up here in what I believe is way too small of a community for such a great weapon.

Actually they started getting a lot more popular about the time domestic mags became available for them.

Good point. I got into the Saiga 12 after the MD 20 so I can see how the availability of cheaper/larger capacity mags could have a major impact. I'm guessing another reason that they aren't as popular as I would expect is that they don't receive any real advertising like most of the popular firearms out there. Seems like a lot of people's experience is either by chance of seeing one in a shop or by word of mouth.

I also feel like the shotgun world is one of the most snobbish in the realm of firearms. The Saiga 12 to many of them is an ugly black sheep in their mind compared to all their fancy wooden/engraved masterpieces or high end semi's. Don't get me wrong, I love a good over/under or similar, I just don't understand why they feel the need to bash the Saiga as "not a real shotgun". All it takes for this to be evident is bringing one to shoot clays/skeet. ARs and AKs also seem to have a little backlash by some, but nothing compared to the Saiga 12 from my experience. If anything good comes out of this buying frenzy, I hope it's that many more peoples minds are opened. That way when prices hopefully come down we can increase our community even more.

I started researching magazine fed shotguns after I saw the AA-12 videos on you tube. I looked up the South African Street Sweeper, the USAS-12, and then I found the Saiga-12 and this forum. I bought my first RAAC S-12 from a local gun shop, then I bought a Red Jacket conversion, and a Legion. Just couldn't stop at one!

The first time I saw a S12 was at a local gun store sometime in 2006. They had about a dozen of them lined up, as well as .410's, S20's and some .223's. My buddy bought a Saiga .223 and I bought a Mini 14. Wish I knew then what I know now.

In late 2010 I got the urge to buy an AK47. I had to have one. Long story short: I saved the money, did the research, found out AK47s were illegal in CT, decided I would settle for an AK74, did some more research, learned that Saiga conversions were the way to go.

And that led me here. I bought my first Saiga, AK74 from atlantic firearms and did my first conversion that same night. I was hooked. I needed another Saiga.

No, I needed a Saiga 12. 20 Round slug drum dumps? Fuck yeah, I NEED A SAIGA 12.

I went down to the gun store and low and behold, they had one S12, brand new sitting on the shelf for $599. I traded in my Mini 14 for $350 and paid the difference. My two week background check finished on a Friday (the ATF study was released 3 days later), I picked my S12 up that afternoon and completed my second conversion that night. I love my S12. It's the coolest, most fun to shoot bad ass gun I've ever played with.

I converted my boys .223 last week (the one mentioned above)

I'm picking up my own .223 this coming friday and will be doing my 4th conversion.

I fucking love it.

Edited by nattyiceking

I became aware of them after a local show where I purchased a .223 saiga. After converting that one and then selling it due to mag availability difficulties here in NY and the AR adapter falling off the face of the earth at that time.

I did not pay much attention to them until a customer, and friend started asking me about saigas again last year. I am glad I waited to get one for myself as my gun working abilities have grown 10 fold since my first saiga purchase a few years ago.

I think many people would shy away from a Saiga 12 because it might not fit into there needs and its more expensive then a regular pump shottie. After adding in 40 dollar magazines and possible conversions it can be hard on the wallet. I like the AK platfom so the Saiga was a logical choice for me. Wish I got a second one when I got mine, almost did.

I saw a 410 for sale on a local firearms sale site and thought "holy shit a magazine fed shotgun." Started researching found this site and read for months before finding one. Finally found one at a local pawnshop. Owner at the pawnshop knows me pretty well and told me the Guy that traded it in said it would only shoot slugs. Checked it out saw it was set to 1. Thought what the hell I'll take a chance for the money. Took it out loaded up some federal bulk put it on setting 2 and have never looked back.

I never heard of a Saiga 12 until I got done shoveling snow for 16 hours this January. Company I shovel snow for is a landscape company and he has small gun shop upstairs. I needed some powder for my reloads and saw the gun sitting in the rack and went to look at it and was like Holy shit a mag feed shot gun. I went down stair to tell them to put the money they owe me toward the gun. Next day the owner called me and said my gun was ready for pic up and just had to do the paper work. I gained a kick ass shot gun but lost a girlfriend cause I spent more time with the gun then her.

And no thats not her with the Skittles(Wish it was)

Edited by Rottieman33

got the itch for a new gun a few months ago, after leaving the law enforcement field and having to give back all my free toys. Decided on wanting a shotgun and began doing my research. Found one for $599 and told my wife who said "wait till next month adn if you still want it, get it then". The next month they were going for $750-$800. I told her and she said "do whatever you want", so I did. I am now $400 into it this week alone in parts, kits, adn attachments. If my marriage survives this gun I will be amazed.

I first saw them them in 03 or 04 and thought they were some P.O.S. the were importing and a mag feed shotgun would never work and its going to jam all the time. I never got into surfing the web till 08 and everthing gun I learned either came from FTF interactions or books before then. I was on GB looking for a new AK and kept seeing the S-12 in all my searches so I googled it and found this sight lurked for about a year reading and learning and early 09 bought a S-12 then later joined here. Now the wife says I am obsessed with this site when I get home from work I go straight to the computer and look to see if there is anything new on here, I tell her I am not obsessed I am sick and there in NO cure. My only regret is over looking the S-12 when they were so cheap cause at the time when I first saw them for $299 I was single with no bills(still lived with mom and dad) and was making over $1000 a week driving OTR I could of had a hell of a lot more than I do now.

I first saw the saiga about 2 years ago. I was browsing through the shotgun section in Jane's Gun Recognition Guide and saw the .410 model. I thought it was bad ass that a shotgun was built after the infamous AK platform. Started doing a little research about it and found out it was also made in 12 gauge. :ph34r: After that, I had to have one!! Walked in my local gun shop one day and low-and-behold sitting on the wall was an IZ-109. :money: I almost ripped off my back pocket I pulled out my wallet so damn fast. :lol:

I was actually on youtube and typed in "cool shotguns" and the Aliance armament full auto video showed up. At that time the only full auto shotty i knew of was the AA-12. So i did a little research on it and found out you could own a semi auto version. So then the anxiety of finding one in town was killing me. I spent a whole day driving to and calling every gun shop and pawn shop in Phoenix. So i finally found one at a pawn shop and the mexican dude at the counter said in broken english " Very very nice, I like you. For you $700". i was soooo pissed because he wouldnt budge on his beat up used $700 saiga. So as i drove home bummed I passed Lonewolf Guns, so I thought " Ehh why the hell not". I stepped in and a heavenly light gleamed from the back wall. The only brand spankin new S12 Currently available in the greater phoenix area. Bought it for $550. The rest is history....:killer: