Popularity of Saiga 12 (not aft related)

being in california, these things weren't as readily available for us to see / hear about here behind the iron curtain until much more recently. i first say mine almost a year ago today when i walked into PRK arms after a couple co-workers had purchased some AR's from them and was going in to pick one up after the 10 day wait and told me i had to go in and check out what they had. 2 of us ended up walking out with receipts for saiga 7.62's that day, and i had images burned into my brain of that amazing saiga-12 they had hanging on the wall - i couldn't get past the cost at the time though. i didn't have the 700+ that they wanted for it at the time after taxes, DROS, etc, and was determined to find a way to get it cheaper. i was also told "good luck" finding someone to do the transfer for me in CA - all other dealers were afraid of them thinking they were still illegal even with the mag lock (Props to PRK by the way for initiating the importing into CA with their mag lock design and dealing with the ATF BS (raids etc)). Peach state guns hooked me up with a fantastic deal and i saved about $300 buying from them, and i did find a friend of a friend who had an FFL and did the transfer for me. finished my conversion of my 7.62 last summer, was definitely hooked by then, and i just did the conversion of my s-12 about 2 months ago, thanks to Cobra for all the help he has provided! i absolutely love this gun, and i am seriously considering getting some chokes for it and taking it to the trap range just for the fun of it -and from what i'm reading it doesn't do too badly for most people.

funny thing is, PRK is actually selling the S12's cheaper TODAY than they were on the day i first saw them now that they are more commonplace in CA, even after the prices went up due to the ATF scare. i was just in their shop this week picking up an LC9 and they had a couple they were selling for $519. seriously considering taking advantage...

I joined this forum in '07, looking for info on converted x39 Saigas. I had zero interest in the S12's, and rarely ventured into the S12 subforum. I stuck mainly to the 7.62x39 subforum.

After a little while, I just decided I wanted an S12, so I bought one (a few years ago?). I just recently picked up another for cheap. If prices ever come back down, maybe a 3rd is in order. The S12 was my first shotgun, BTW. Talk about spoiling yourself from the start. :lolol:

I remember seeing a picture of one online a few years back, and it was love at first sight...

It was back when they were selling for 400-500 bucks, and I was mostly broke after my first AR build (first long gun too). I figured there would be plenty time to get one of those cheap red shotguns...

...Boy was I wrong!

Coincidentally I bought my gun about 5 days BEFORE the huge ATF scare...for 589 WITH shipping, CA BulletButton, Tapco piston, AND a free 8 rd Surefire mag! (from Mississippi Auto Arms)

To be honest, I thought I was getting screwed! I was like..."What the fuck happened to the $450 I was expecting to get away with!??!"

If I would have know the shit was going to hit the fan I would have gotten two...

Now I'm torn between paying 800 + tax + DROS, or risk not getting another ever again, not unless I want to spend 2 grand...

As I prep for my upcoming 1st time Texas Hog Hunt, with my S-12 as my main gun, I've done a LOT of searching the websites dealing shooting and hogs and Texas Hunting. A lot of folks on many of the forums I looked at, have a negative image of the Saiga, especially in the role I have it as my 'Slug-shooter'. Most of the nay-sayers speak of the UNRELIABLE feed/ejection of the gun. Many of them made comments that demonstrated their lack of knowledge about the gas-port adjustment system in the Saiga.

I have fired about 100 slugs thru my gun prepping for our hunt and have the confidence that it will feed and fire with no issues when I want it to. I think many of the folks who compare our Saigas to some of the other brand of "cheaper" shotguns, do so in ignorance. As a former teacher I can honestly say, They are gonna stay that way no matter what !!! One of my sons looked at my Saiga and said, "Why'd you buy that piece of Chinese shit !!"

I'm happy with it, so if others aren't, it isn't my problem !

I know things have changed recently but why hasn't the Saiga 12 gained near the popularity with the average shooter as most other shotguns? It is such a great platform in my opinion and doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves. I really cant think of a shotgun that i enjoy more and most people seem to come to the same conclusion upon shooting one. Is it mostly that many people are not aware of the ability to convert it (I used to be in this category) or that its too unfamiliar and non traditional (my father had this perspective)? Just wondering why it took the fear of losing them for them to finally get more noticed.

Please explain what got you to first buy one. I'd love to hear how we all ended up here in what I believe is way too small of a community for such a great weapon.

if i had to guess, i would say that not enough people know about the saiga. i was under the impression that it hadnt even been out for very long anyway

As I prep for my upcoming 1st time Texas Hog Hunt, with my S-12 as my main gun, I've done a LOT of searching the websites dealing shooting and hogs and Texas Hunting. A lot of folks on many of the forums I looked at, have a negative image of the Saiga, especially in the role I have it as my 'Slug-shooter'. Most of the nay-sayers speak of the UNRELIABLE feed/ejection of the gun. Many of them made comments that demonstrated their lack of knowledge about the gas-port adjustment system in the Saiga.

I have fired about 100 slugs thru my gun prepping for our hunt and have the confidence that it will feed and fire with no issues when I want it to. I think many of the folks who compare our Saigas to some of the other brand of "cheaper" shotguns, do so in ignorance. As a former teacher I can honestly say, They are gonna stay that way no matter what !!! One of my sons looked at my Saiga and said, "Why'd you buy that piece of Chinese shit !!"

I'm happy with it, so if others aren't, it isn't my problem !

that too. you get these people who hear stories about FTE with low brass rounds, and they assume this is the case with all types of ammunition.

its kinda funny how some people are so quick to voice their opinion on the matter when they havent even held a saiga, or fired rounds through one.

but from my experience, when people at a public shooting range see my converted saiga 12, they are in awe of it.

I know things have changed recently but why hasn't the Saiga 12 gained near the popularity with the average shooter as most other shotguns? It is such a great platform in my opinion and doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves. I really cant think of a shotgun that i enjoy more and most people seem to come to the same conclusion upon shooting one. Is it mostly that many people are not aware of the ability to convert it (I used to be in this category) or that its too unfamiliar and non traditional (my father had this perspective)? Just wondering why it took the fear of losing them for them to finally get more noticed.

Please explain what got you to first buy one. I'd love to hear how we all ended up here in what I believe is way too small of a community for such a great weapon.

if i had to guess, i would say that not enough people know about the saiga. i was under the impression that it hadnt even been out for very long anyway

That would be my guess as the biggest factor as well. Most of my friends and family knew little to nothing of the Saiga 12 until I told them about it recently. Now most of them bought one after seeing mine biggrin.gif The current demand combined with Sons of Guns will hopefully help. Guess we should all spread the word as well. The more gun owners the better in my opinion.

yea thats understandable man. most firearm enthusiasts fall in love when they see a saiga 12, especially if its converted and has a larger mag on it. even the description of it, 12 gauge AK47 is impressive.

i cant help buy gawk when i look at my saiga.

Edited by Cali_Armz

yea thats understandable man. most firearm enthusiasts fall in love when they see a saiga 12, especially if its converted and has a larger mag on it. even the description of it, 12 gauge AK47 is impressive.

I agree, sometimes I just sit in my chair and hug my S-12... :lolol:

I agree, sometimes I just sit in my chair and hug my S-12... :lolol:

haha me too man. i do the same with my AK and my AR too

lol

My cousin owns a small gun shop here in Scottsburg. He showed me the saiga 12 one day and I fell in love. A 12g ak! What more could you want? So, I Took it home for $550. I didn't know much about them and was quite disappointed when I took it to the range for a stovepiping session. I found this site while searching for info. I thought I had a vodka special. I then called the RAA, took it to them for inspection, and the told me it was a 3 hole and explained what to do.

Now, after some research, I bead blasted/polished my bolt carrier. Converted with hogue grip and magpul stock. And.. She now cycles cheap federal flawlessly from a 12 round surefire. I'm hoping to get the MD20 soon.

I'm a very recent Saiga S12 adopter, I have had my two S12s for almost a week now.

I have known about the S12 for a few years, but I never really had any interest in it. I have a couple 7.62 X 39 AKMs for 17 years already, so they have satisfied my Kalashnikov type firearm requirements and enjoyment in my collection.

I also have a couple Remington shotguns that have fulfilled my shotgun requirements, I have my 11-87 set up for 3-gun competitions.

You don't see to many Saiga S12s in California, as they were imported for the most part after our last CA Assault Weapon ban in 2000. You didn't see them at the gun stores, nor at our Gun Shows. Out of sight, out of mind.

They only began trickling in these last couple of years. A few CA FFLs were brave enough to import and stock them with bullet buttons for compliance to the CA AW laws. They don't stay on dealer shelves to long, so it is still rare to see them on Dealer shelves. More Dealers now carry them, but the ATF scare has them sold out as soon as they get them in stock.

It was only recently (Jan 2011) did I even contemplate even buying one for myself. Thanks ATF! I began to do a little more research and began reading threads here about them and began watching the numerous YouTube videos. The reliable 10 round mags and drums have also sealed the deal.

I have lived through two California Assault Weapon bans (1994 & 2000) that are still in effect, and have purchased/registered many firearms that were on our California AW Ban lists, and to have them registered with the CA DOJ before the deadlines. I probably wouldn't have purchased many of the AW I have, but I don't like being told what I can not buy or own. So, my firearms collection grew and my wallet thinner.

I don't think the importation of the S12 will cease after the ATF report in May. But, I didn't want to take that chance. The scarcity and prices going up didn't help either. So, when a few SOCAL FFLs got their latest shipments in, I began to look for the best bargains. I found a Dealer that wasn't going to rape me and reserved two 109s for myself online. I picked them up this past Monday. :)

I figured I would try to keep one near stock for as long as I can (yea right!) and convert/reconfigure the other one for a 3-gun competition S12. So, even before I could pick up my S12s, I ordered a bunch of parts from the various Vendors on this forum, spending as much in parts as I paid for one Saiga S12. lol

I took both the S12s to the range yesterday, to try out the various 12 gauge ammo in my stash. I didn't bother shooting any of my various slugs and 00 Buck shots, I figured they would eat those just fine. I figured I would just concentrate with the various 6/ 7/ 7½ bird shots (low & high brass) I had to see if I would have any hick-ups. I was sure my 2nd S12 was a Vodka special, as 2 of the three gas ports were barely visible. I didn't have any of the Walmart bulk ammo and the local Walmart didn't have any in stock. The S12s ate everything I fed them. The first two rounds were FTE on gas port 1, but when I switch to port 2 they ran flawlessly. I even did some unsupported hip shooting, and they cycled and extracted fine.:super:

Now that I have a baseline, today I will start the conversion on one of my S12s. I will do another test shoot at the range, before I send my parts to Pauly for some of his beautiful work.

I had started shooting shotguns in 3-gun. This was after I had converted from revolver to auto as a duty weapon in my dept., so I knew the value of being able to load faster than one-at-a-time. I watched, with great interest, the Knoxx conversion, which would have allowed pump shotguns like the '870 and '500 to use detachable mags. However, by the time I had scraped together enough money, it went the Way of the Dodo due to supply problems (shucks). I had converted my '870 to use the tube-type speedloaders, but that was still awkward. I read the article on the S12 in Guns and Ammo and realized this was something to definitely consider. When the opportunity came, I traded my '870 in and paid the difference.

I think the popularity issues are based on the well known fact (in the shooting community), that a S-12 does have reliability issues that cost $$$ to resolve to be able to shoot anything. Most will go with a reliable Mossberg or Remington pump gun that doesn't FTE for a fighting shotgun. While mine still has a FTE with Winchester bulk crap, every time I have mine out, I show the naysayers what a Saigaa can do with a drum full of OO Buck! There is just a bunch of shooters who won't invest that much into a shotgun even though they will invest way more into other weapons.

I think the popularity issues are based on the well known fact (in the shooting community), that a S-12 does have reliability issues that cost $$$ to resolve to be able to shoot anything. Most will go with a reliable Mossberg or Remington pump gun that doesn't FTE for a fighting shotgun. While mine still has a FTE with Winchester bulk crap, every time I have mine out, I show the naysayers what a Saigaa can do with a drum full of OO Buck! There is just a bunch of shooters who won't invest that much into a shotgun even though they will invest way more into other weapons.

As far as their investing their$$$ on other wpns, look on the bright side--you're not having to spend as much for a more reliable wpn!