Tromix bolt-on charging handle doesn't go all the way in

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-266/Tromix-Saiga-Ak47-extended/Detail

I tried to install this on Saiga-12 (factory LRBHO version). Won't go all the way in even if I wiggled it. I ended up used a hammer to force it in as much as possible. Even then the setting screw doesn't sit in the "saddle" of the OEM handle but in the "tip" of it. As a result, the setting screw appears too long and will push the Tromix backward to a tilted position if I try to screw it all the way in. I will have to file the screw off for a couple of millimeters(on the end that contact the OEM handle) so that it won't protrude out of the OEM handle.

Even if the screw rested on the tip of the OEM handle resulting in a reduced contacting area, the Tromix handle fits so tight that I don't think it will be able to move even without loctite. The resulting charging handle will be a little longer than designed. But I think that probably will benefit the handling of the weapon.

Is this a design flaw and anyone experienced the same problem?

All of those handles are CNC'd to exact specs...I would venture a guess and think that your oem handle may have been a little out of spec. I would think Tony's tolerences are better than Ivans, LOL.

Mine dropped on w/out issue and fit perfectly. Geat product.

I am sorry you are having issues, I hope you can get it worked out. Good luck.

Edited by Class-2 Matt

Measure the depth of the hole in the handle then measure where it's supposed to go. Perhaps it was milled out of spec?

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • 5 months later...

I have the exact same problem everything u said ant the pics u posted looks just like mine, I just got my tromix charging handle yesterday and could not install it.

it seems like the tip of my stock charging handle is to long and it pokes into the hole for the setting screw.

did u resole this or find a way to fix it I was going to call Tony today.

the only thing I could think of was to sand or polish my handle down a bit so the tromix handle could fit over.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the issue guys. The Russian tolerances of their precision parts can be measured with a household yardstick, which can make building aftermarket parts that fit, quite a chore. I don't even need to put a tape measure to these two S-12 bolt carriers, to show you the issue.

I'll make them fit the big one on the left, and the Russians will make one even bigger.

Edited to add......I don't know how you can possibly make parts that different even with some worn out shit equipment, completely fucked up processes, and alcohol impaired operators.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

CarrierVariance.jpg

• Like 1

I had one that didn't want to fit and a couple that were fine. File or grind the spots that seem to be hindering the proper fit and you're good to go. Red loc-tite on all of mine and never had one loosen yet. I won't run an ak without one of these charging handles anymore.. just wouldn't feel right.

edit to add: do your grinding on the OEM and leave the tromix as is.

Edited by danklab
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I have the same problem bit  frustrating they don’t warn us before we buy the product. I called veriforce tactical and the said to file down the inside of the knob which helped a bit. Filed down a bit of the charging handle to I wish I never did, scratched some paint off and still didn’t fit perfect so I hammered this junk on and now it’s stuck. Looks pretty decent tho, didn’t even have to screw it tight. Imma shoot it it falls off. 

Edited by JJCeasar
  • 1 year later...