How to load a MD 20 rd drum?

Remember, not all 2 3/4 shells are the same. Wolf and other some companies are too long. :smoke:

that sucks, which brands do not work in drums?

There's an .xl file ( think) here on the forum somewhere that lists those shells that worked and those that didn't.

I have to admit I was a little surprised that its so tuff to load these things.

Not that Im having problems loading it, but it's the stiffest mag I've EVER loaded

(but hey if it works then its good right!)

It's all in technique.

I didn't wear gloves or anything, no messed up hands, or getting skinned up here. Push the rounds down DEEP every time you go to load the next round and it'll go much faster.

If you attempt to load it like a regular stick mag, it's not going to be easy. Though you can load either the same way, and it'll be easier.

• Like 2

I have to admit I was a little surprised that its so tuff to load these things.

Not that Im having problems loading it, but it's the stiffest mag I've EVER loaded

(but hey if it works then its good right!)

It's all in technique.

I didn't wear gloves or anything, no messed up hands, or getting skinned up here. Push the rounds down DEEP every time you go to load the next round and it'll go much faster.

If you attempt to load it like a regular stick mag, it's not going to be easy. Though you can load either the same way, and it'll be easier.

Very well stated. It is all about keeping the dummy round or last round loaded pushed deeply into the drum with the thumb of the weak hand and sliding the next round into the angled slot in the feed tower. Also, make sure that each round is pushed to the rear all the way. Imagine having 10 drums to load for one session. I'm getting pretty fast at loading the MD-20 ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe someone can answer this: I can load my drum perfectly fine when it's not loaded. But once I put shells into it (yes, the proper shells), I can't get it to lock into my S12. I've only been able to do it once and I pumped the loads out and on the 3rd shell, it kind of stuck for a split second and then the entire drum fell off.

I tried to lock it back on to no avail. I emptied the drum and it locked in just fine.

I do have the dummy round in it.

Any ideas as to what is happening? Is there a way to make it easier to lock into my gun when loaded? Thanks for any help

Maybe someone can answer this: I can load my drum perfectly fine when it's not loaded. But once I put shells into it (yes, the proper shells), I can't get it to lock into my S12. I've only been able to do it once and I pumped the loads out and on the 3rd shell, it kind of stuck for a split second and then the entire drum fell off.

I tried to lock it back on to no avail. I emptied the drum and it locked in just fine.

Any ideas as to what is happening? Is there a way to make it easier to lock into my gun when loaded? Thanks for any help

Did you do a fitting?? Many drums require a bit of filing to get it to fit properly. Check youtube search MD arms, he has a video on how to fit it. Just be VVVEERRY careful not to take off to much material.

• Like 1

Did you do a fitting?? Many drums require a bit of filing to get it to fit properly. Check youtube search MD arms, he has a video on how to fit it. Just be VVVEERRY careful not to take off to much material.

Yes, it fits just fine when not loaded. I already filed in the areas needed. Could it be S12? Maybe not enough oil inside? IDK. I can pop the drum on not loaded. But loaded, even just a few rounds, doesn't want to go.

pull the bolt back and set the bolt hold open then insert the md20 pull back bolt let go and then rock and roll

Are you loading it with the bolt open or closed?^

I'm loading it with the bolt closed. Like I do all my other magazines. Is it suppose to be open?

OH YEA!! King is right, on the right side of the trigger you should see a small metal tab, thats the bolt hold open tab. Pull that muther back hold down the tab and while holding the tab let the bolt slide forward. There are peeps on here that mod their bolts so that they can be loaded closed.

Are you loading it with the bolt open or closed?^

I'm loading it with the bolt closed. Like I do all my other magazines. Is it suppose to be open?

OH YEA!! King is right, on the right side of the trigger you should see a small metal tab, thats the bolt hold open tab. Pull that muther back hold down the tab and while holding the tab let the bolt slide forward. There are peeps on here that mod their bolts so that they can be loaded closed.

I don't have a tab on either side of my gun. What am I to do? Thanks

Did you convert you gun yourself or is it stock. Some early S-12's didn't have the BHO if your gun is stock than this may be the reason and if you bought your gun already converted some guys who convert them and don't know what they are doing cant get the BHO back in with the new FCG cause the FCG need to be modified so they don't put it back in so if you have a slot in your reciever and no tab this could be what happened and why you don't have one. Also to help load on a closed bolt I recommend getting your BCG polished and getting the bolt modified to help load on a closed bolt, Cobra or Pauly on here can do it for you at a good price.

I would also like to add that if I insert the front of my drum in the magwell and rock it back slowly it sometimes doesn't lock up with out a little extra help but if when rocking it back I slam it home it load perfectly everytime.

Edited by SCHULTZE