Rail-mounted light recommendations

My S-12 will see use for night-time varmints in the yard and coyotes. I'd like a rail-mounted light with a pressure switch that will illuminate 40-80 yds enough for these purposes. I have no experience with weapon-mounted lights, so any recommendations are appreciated.

40-80 yds is 120-240 feet better get a Q-Beam!:lolol: No you might get by with a 4 d-battery Maglite?:lolol: , No, :angel: seriously, I think Surefire (high dollar) makes something you are looking for, maybe? but seriously, you should be able to find one cheaper like ncstar or something, look up tactical lights on here or google you'll find it! you might just want an inexpensive night scope if such a thing exists! quote name='spaniel' timestamp='1301241219' post='628285']

My S-12 will see use for night-time varmints in the yard and coyotes. I'd like a rail-mounted light with a pressure switch that will illuminate 40-80 yds enough for these purposes. I have no experience with weapon-mounted lights, so any recommendations are appreciated.

Edited by Guns Are Great

Check Out Olight brand tactical lights. they have three different power settings plus a tactical strobe and have a much longer run time than most surefires. i just picked up the Olight M20S brand new on ebay with the weapons mount and tactical switch for around $110.

• Like 1

I got one for a rifle off ebay don't remember the brand but it worked well but doubt past 100 feet it was worth much. it was only 45-50 dollars mount and all, off ebay! but indoors it lights up the world!

Check Out Olight brand tactical lights. they have three different power settings plus a tactical strobe and have a much longer run time than most surefires. i just picked up the Olight M20S brand new on ebay with the weapons mount and tactical switch for around $110.

Edited by Guns Are Great

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking into them. FWIW when you like in the country like I do (pitch dark), illuminating something 40-80 yds out is not an unreasonable requirement. The last raccoon I shot was about 60 yards out and by $20 Nebo Redline threw enough light on him to pick him up in the scope of my .22. It's 220 lumens, which is less than the ebay link that was shared, so I think that one would work well.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking into them. FWIW when you like in the country like I do (pitch dark), illuminating something 40-80 yds out is not an unreasonable requirement. The last raccoon I shot was about 60 yards out and by $20 Nebo Redline threw enough light on him to pick him up in the scope of my .22. It's 220 lumens, which is less than the ebay link that was shared, so I think that one would work well.

I've got just the thing on my Mossberg 500, it cost $50 and is the rail-mounted UTG 200 lumen L.E.D. tac-light. It comes with a pressure switch that you can attach to the light. When I lived out in the country, I lit up the side of my neighbor's house with it which is over 200 yards away...

It's freakin' HUGE though, takes 3 123 lithium batteries.

Personally, I hate pressure switches. The only reason why I still use mine is because I don't want to feel like I wasted money. My personal opinion is that tail-cap push-button switches are the way to go, you can go momentary if you want or full on and it won't go off if you adjust your grip on the weapon.

Also, Coyotes are extremely smart canines, so the moment they hear you they'll be gone, especially if they see your white light, unless they're rabid. Be careful though, if one hangs around it's usually because he's in a pack and pretty sure that his pack can take you so take that as you will...

CSS sells a rail mount tac light that also has a laser on it.

Around $85 or $90 IIR.

I have one on my S-12, along with an adaptor that allows for a sling mount along with the light.

Works great.

Check it out.

Ok if you want a good cheap light check out deal extreme you won't find a better deal anyware, and if you want to keep your money in America than cpf forum is ware you should look.

Damn you and your dealextreme.com!!! The wife should understand why I just bought ANOTHER flashlight right? :ph34r::lolol:

Check out the Fenix brand lights and reviews. I have two, so far, the PD31 which I will be permanently mounting on my S12 inside the Chaos rail and I also have the TK15. Oh, I forgot I have a little AAA one from them as well that is always in my pocket. That one gets used everyday.

• Like 1

Check out the Fenix brand lights and reviews. I have two, so far, the PD31 which I will be permanently mounting on my S12 inside the Chaos rail and I also have the TK15. Oh, I forgot I have a little AAA one from them as well that is always in my pocket. That one gets used everyday.

A big thumbs up for the Fenix TK15. We have 2 on our S12s and very impressed.

+1 on the Olight M20S - Great : tough and bright .

I ended up ordering this one, we'll see how it does....thanks all.

I received the Olight I ordered from the eBay link shared in this thread. It is solidly built and far outshines the effective range of the S-12....with SLUGS. I could easily illuminate my shooting bench 120 yds from my house well enough to plug anything that may have been next to it. The instructions listed the max range as like 320 yds I think, I would say it does 130-150 yrs effectively.

I have a Fenix TK10 and I love it. Amazon sells virtually all of their models.

Costco sells some high quality, compact, high-hundred lumen tac lights with good ranges that include three settings (high, low, strobe) and retail 3 for 20 bucks. I bought them on a lark but loved them so much that I actually replaced a legit tac-light with one on my Saiga. Now I don't care if I bash it against a door during room drills, leave it on so long the LEDs burn out, or the batteries corrode. Coupled 'em with some wallyworld picatinny-compatable scope mounts and outfitted two of my rifles with great lights for a whopping $30, plus ended up with a spare light for my pocket.

Works great for me.

Costco sells some high quality, compact, high-hundred lumen tac lights with good ranges that include three settings (high, low, strobe) and retail 3 for 20 bucks. I bought them on a lark but loved them so much that I actually replaced a legit tac-light with one on my Saiga. Now I don't care if I bash it against a door during room drills, leave it on so long the LEDs burn out, or the batteries corrode. Coupled 'em with some wallyworld picatinny-compatable scope mounts and outfitted two of my rifles with great lights for a whopping $30, plus ended up with a spare light for my pocket.

Works great for me.

Got pics so I know what to look for? (We don't have Costco down here)

Solarforce L2-P (modified to a forward clicky) on a LaRue Tactical Lt-606 mount, Ultimak rail. I can flick it on or off with my left thumb. Works guuuuud =)

Rob

++111

Check out Solarforce - either on Ebay or through lighthound - I think based in TX, great Customer Service but not a business member here so no linky. They are completely modular and there is a pretty cool rail mount battery tube and some nice looking quality pressure switches.

Just remember any incandescent lamp will fail under recoil. LED's work best on weapons - IMHO :blues: