Saiga 12 upgrade level of difficulty rating scheme

With all the do it your self upgrade kits out there, I find that some are easier than other. The LRBHO was by far a graduate level upgrade while on the other hand a basic conversion from the "unconstitutional" sporting import configuration into a normal looking saiga is beginner level.

I propose a standarized rating scheme that shows the level of difficulty for each mod. Kind of like a model kit that has recommended ages.

Any thoughts?

Watch and use the CSS products and you will feel like a professional when you are done! And youtube has a guy doing a more complicated conversion and he makes it look easy also so with their help anyone can do it! so a css of 3-4 and the other guy 5-6 b/c more equip is used. quote name='Crusader' timestamp='1301285577' post='628602']

With all the do it your self upgrade kits out there, I find that some are easier than other. The LRBHO was by far a graduate level upgrade while on the other hand a basic conversion from the "unconstitutional" sporting import configuration into a normal looking saiga is beginner level.

I propose a standarized rating scheme that shows the level of difficulty for each mod. Kind of like a model kit that has recommended ages.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Guns Are Great

I think three greatest tips I got in converting was to twist-tie or zip-tie the hammer/spring, nylon "look like rivets" plugs, and using the axis retaining plate from CSS - http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-270/Saiga-Axis-Pin-Retaining/Detail?sfs=6410051e

These things can easily make converting a beginning level conversion DIY, without those you definately feel like a conversion would of taken alot longer and been more stressful

Not a bad idea. I would hate to see a noob with a nice gun get in over his head on a LRBHO kit install. (As much as I would love the parts gun)

My point exactly. Not say anyone can't install the LRBHO device, but a learning curve progression is in order. A rating scheme will help noobies start off small and build their skills until they reach a level that will enable them to attempt the graduate level work like the JT MAGWELL or the LRBHO device.

I dunno, I did a jt magwell, and a restoration, and the magwell was far easier. Not rushing on fitting the mags is the only tricky part.

I did use a fancy adjustable trigger and had to modify the retaining plate I used, so there is that.

The scale is relative to the person's mechanical abilities.

Some exceptionally easy things for one individual may be near impossible for another, while that individual may be able to more easily do something the other individual would find impossible.

I'd say it's all easy work with some common sense, research, and THE RIGHT TOOLS. Undoubtedly, having the right tools for the job is the single most important thing I can think of.

People just need to remember it's the same as working on a car really. If you get into something you don't know much about and have the wrong tools for the job, it's going to end up being a very long and painful day. Where as, if you have the right tools, it's going to go fast and be fairly easy regardless what it is.

Before attempting anything, someone needs a dremel, the right bits, a good drill with some good bits for steel work, a welder, a GOOD punch set, and a press. If you don't have these, you can wing it with other tools, but they'll decide how hard the job will be. An engine pulley puller would probably be a good things to have if you don't have a press.

Edited by Tombs

This thread should be a sticky.

OK so I guess I'm allowed to talk once again.

Yes, lets make this a sticky. A Saiga 12 upgrade level of difficulty rating scheme. What a wonderful idea. You are so smart Crusader. Happy now? :haha:

Edited by Patriot12

This thread should be a sticky.

OK so I guess I'm allowed to talk once again.

Yes, lets make this a sticky. A Saiga 12 upgrade level of difficulty rating scheme. What a wonderful idea. You are so smart Crusader. Happy now? :haha:

I did not come up with this idea to thump my chest. I was just thinking of the noobies and how easily they can get over their heads if they choose too ambitious of projects. A rating scheme would provide a warning for them.