Heavy Bull Barrel PSL project

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up for your viewing pleasure...The heavy barrel PSL build I have been working on for a few months.This was pieced together from parts on hand and a few I had to purchase.Nodak-spud receiver and bolt/

Thanks,There was just enough meat on the barrel to get a proper.908 diameter on it.I was having trouble getting it to head space and discovered I had to machine the elevated support ring on the chambe

Thanks...Yea,I got a mosin build going too that uses one of my custom sheet metal stocks.I'm trying to figure out the detachable mosin mag ..kman

OK, I'm gonna guess you've done this before.. :rolleyes:

your work is legit.. both of your rifles look like they could have been smuggled out of the former Soviet Union by a KGB defector looking to sell some top secret Spetsnaz hardware..

sooooo... you got anything else cool? :)

100_2090-1.jpg

100_1696.jpg

right....so these are for sale, yes? :D

and on the folder...is that a modded safety I see there??? looks as though there is a little tab coming down of it, almost seems like it would be within reach of one's trigger finger.....if not I apologize for my idiocy, but it gave me an idea haha

Edited by YEL13

dont think i wont copy you damnit lol

love the sythe an the bayonet? what is that? not yugo or rommy still a lil new to the ak game~

and i swore i woulnt put anymore money into my wasr...

i blame you... damnit...

that was a 5.45 tantal parts kit i acquired in a trade that i made a modified AMD wire folder and a modified sks paratrooper bayo that was made to fold sideways instead of under.

Wow, that is impressive. Four of the coolest firearms I have seen on here. That 5.45 makes me tingle in my pants. What did you finish(paint) that PSL with?

LOL....the PSL was finished with alumahyde II in matte black

I too am pleased with the looks of everyone you have posted. They are amazing. I would like to see some groups as well.

Please tell me you are an 07 or even 10 FFL!!!

If not and you like doing this, maybe it is something you should look into.

Or even an 01 ffl.

Edited by beefcakeb0

Those are simply beautiful, especially the PSL! I've never need one turned into a real target style rifle before, it must group well with that type of setup.

And I agree with beefcake, if you don't have an FFL it would be something to look into because I'm sure you could make good money just making mods like these for people. :D

OK Gent's...Got to the range today to continue the ammo test for this.A friend of mine that collects mosins gave me an assortment of different mil-surp ammo to test and this is brass cased 1954 Bulgarian heavy ball,2 shot groups x two 100 yards to start the session.

100_3495.jpg

Well about the 6th shot somethings wrong...big pop..top cover off :cryss::o Turns out the brass cases don't like the unsupported part of the chamber where the extractor cut is and peels open like a sardine can.

100_3496.jpg

The result..

100_3500.jpg

100_3507.jpg

OK that's ends testing of the brass today.Next up..1956 Polish steel heavy ball.

100_3493.jpg

This 3 shot x three group was at the end with a super hot barrel after about 70 shots with 1947 Russian copper wash,not sure if light or heavy ball?

100_3494.jpg

Still have more to test...to be continued....kman

ok so i have to ask, ive seen yer posts here and on the mosin forum... where do you get the heavy barrels?

want to do this...

lmk

The barrel was a TGI uk59 machine gun barrel

As in Tennessee Guns International

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Kmanator,

How much did you have to machine off of the the elevated support ring on the chamber face?

I did not take any "off"..I had to make the elevated support ring by carefully scooping the chamber end with out touching the overall length of the existing chamber.This was done before the headspacing pin was drilled,which is just a matter of how deep the barrel is in the trunnion.When I tried to headspace in the original configuration I could not get it to headspace.I realized the PSL bolt pocket is very deep and swallows the rim of the cartridge.Mimic what the original PSL barrel ring looks like....kman

Kmanator,

How much did you have to machine off of the the elevated support ring on the chamber face?

I did not take any "off"..I had to make the elevated support ring by carefully scooping the chamber end with out touching the overall length of the existing chamber.This was done before the headspacing pin was drilled,which is just a matter of how deep the barrel is in the trunnion.When I tried to headspace in the original configuration I could not get it to headspace.I realized the PSL bolt pocket is very deep and swallows the rim of the cartridge.Mimic what the original PSL barrel ring looks like....kman

Thanks . I missunderstood what you were machining.

Edited by BatBoy
  • 3 weeks later...

Kman, that is by far the nicest custom PSL I have EVER seen, and I am biased as hell toward my own custom PSL based Tabuk clone. Best Wayne's World impression here - "We're not worthy!!!!!" Damn that is drool worthy as all get out!!!!!!!! I too have modded a couple of Lahti mags, but I can't get them to feed reliably. How does yours feed, and how far down the back did you weld the mag lug on, to get your feed angle correct? TIA,

• 3 weeks later...

Question, what did you use for gas block? Also, where did you get it and how much? This isn't a PSL gas block, neither is it an RPK. Looks like GALIL 7.62x54. great looking GUN

Dmitry

Thanks...The gas block was a custom 2 pc. design that i made from 3/4 round bar and tig welded to the 1 inch chromoly tubing barrel band.Has a stainless 1/4- 20 cap screw modified for the air screw needle jet..It is pinned in place with 1/8 inch pins.

100_3456-1.jpg

100_3226.jpg

100_3186.jpg

100_3173.jpg

100_3174.jpg

100_3175.jpg

100_3238.jpg

Edited by kmanator
  • Like 2

That is a nice set-up on your barrel components Kman. Very clean and functional.

From all of the interest on here, it sounds like you have a business case for a start up company. I know I would sure be interested in some of your products if you did start manufacturing the various components.