Gas port enlargement- FTE solved

So after doing tons of searches, (Thanks for all the Great Info)as well as using different products advertised to allow low brass use...

The solution was to enlarge my three ports to 3/32.

History:

Prior to the enlargment I have polished the bolt, the hammer, reduce recoil spring an Etac twister puck and both the MD Arms and gunfixer plug. None were consistent with low brass Walmart Remington or Winchester Ammo bulk. I used the orginal mag along with my AGP gen2 mags.

Solution:

After removing my gas block and drilling out the three ports to 3/32. It fires the Remington or Winchester Ammo bulk packs with no problems. Problem solved. With the Gunfixer plug on setting 3 I did not have any FTE with either brands of ammo. On setting 2 I had a couple with the Remington... I went back to setting 3 and did'nt have anymore issues.

Future test:

Reinstall my factory puck, gas plug and spring.

When I do I will do an update.

Thanks for all the great info on the Gas block mod for under gased Saigas.

Edited by RLTW
  • Like 2

Mine is a new three porter and works fine with all ammo, even the Winchester bulk pack, on setting two of the factory plug. I haven't gotten around to polishing the bolt yet. I've got about three hundred rounds through it now and have had 2 FTF's and no FTE's on setting two.

Mine is a new three porter and works fine with all ammo, even the Winchester bulk pack, on setting two of the factory plug. I haven't gotten around to polishing the bolt yet. I've got about three hundred rounds through it now and have had 2 FTF's and no FTE's on setting two.

My '09 factory gun in the beginning of the 300 round dump video popped off 5 shots of mixed bulk pack without a hiccup. I haven't fired any more out of it and was extremely surprised as my previous 3 Saiga 12s all needed significant work to run light loads. I may convert it soon and will further test it with a reprofiled hammer being the only mod to the action. I also noticed that the feedramp is much longer and the action feels really smooth for a non-modded S12. MAybe the Russians are getting their shit together?

Here is the gun...

Not to hijack, but what is the partial scope ring for?

I put it on as a front sight post before I got the reflex sight. Lol . It is now removed but I snapped that pic before I removed it. I know it is a rediculous way to aim, but it is a shotgun and I hit everything I aimed at. Lol

Lose the Twister puck and reduced power spring. The Twister is for use with ammo other than weak loads.

Yeap I know... I want to have my S-12 set up so all I have to do is adjust the gas plug to a setting with the load I am firing. Rather than disassemble the gas block to switch a puck or remove a spring.

I had issues firing low brass rounds with the stock setup, along with the after market products out there. Tryed different combos stock puck, aftermarket gas plug.. etc.. Nothing would work. High Brass, Slug or OO would work fine.

My Saiga maybe different than yours or someone elses, for example another person in this thread with a newer Saiga hasn't had any problems with firing cheap Walmart ammo thats great. For those that do have isuues, and have spent money on different products to enhance low brass reliability.. and it still doesn't work and are frustrated with what to do. I am just putting out info. Take it as good or bad.

Overall my solution was to enlarge the ports to 3/32 and now it runs like a champ.

Thanks for the input :super:

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same thing and it solved my FTE issue for good:

3 ports at 3/32":

Access to ports: Belt sand off front site and punch out

3/32 cobalt drill bit to open all three ports (measure drill depth first to prevent barrel damage)

Use Cutting oil, slow speed, Blow out chips

Tap site hole with 10-32 tap and screw, use cutting oil, 1/4 turn, back out, 1/4 turn, back out, clean chips

Drill and tap new gun site on serrated part with 7/64 drill and 6-48 tap, cutting fluid

Clean up gas port cap threads

Touch up paint

Clean paint from 10-32 and 6-48 threaded holes

Install 10-32 flush plug with red loctite

Install 6-48 front site, red loctite

• 1 month later...

If you have an unusually light recoiling gun that won't always run winchester universal from an MD20 drum, would enlarging the ports pose any possible risk of increasing recoil? It runs universal fine from stick mags.

Shooting 3" magnums and feeling like you're shooting a .223 is one of the biggest reasons why I love this gun.

I don't feel as though this would be a hard job I've just always been concerned about losing the amazing shootability it has. Seems about the same as pulling an AR15's gas block, except those usually aren't that tight on the barrel. At least not tight enough to need more than a rubber hammer to break it free.

Edited by Tombs