Anyone got pics of their 'kalashnikov Kiss' preventer?

Well, I got tired of paying $0.80-0.95 a round for PRVI Partisan 7.62x54R (ok, got tired of trying to *find* 150gr PRVI Partisan) when I can reload it for $0.65 a round with premium bullets and buying brass.

Problem is, my PSL beats brass to death, big dents.

What did *you* do to keep your rifle from denting the brass on it's way out of the weapon?

Some of the biggest dents that do the most damage can easily be avoided by removing the charging handle, and putting one on the left (non ejection port) side instead. Of course you can always just pad it with a rubber cap, but it will still hit the cases and cause some dents. Using a piece of inner tube rubber or similar, and lining the edge of the dust cover will help prevent those mid hull kiss marks left behind.

Here are some pics I took this morning of some .308 brass from my last outing with it. Not as bad as some I've seen...not by any means....but still it's marked up. I helped a member out this morning with diagnosing where his problems were coming from in this area. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

These are some various random cases I pulled out of a pile from my last time out....separated by how they were marked. The top row have slight shoulder damage from hitting on the charger I'm guessing.

post-1293-0-41886700-1301514764_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-02190300-1301514787_thumb.jpg

The dented neck on the middle one I believe was from the charging handle.

The mid case marks on the bottom row are from hitting the dust cover. I've not done anything to prevent it yet because I still have no way of reloading them anyway. One day soon maybe....

post-1293-0-21086700-1301514807_thumb.jpg

The ones standing on end were totally undamaged...the lucky ones.

The two unfired rounds at the top, I believe were just slightly dinged by the bolt as it extracted the rounds above them. This could be true for all of the small marks on the top row for that matter.

After the pics a fellow member sent me this morning from his gun, which had much more serious dents....I'm really not sure now. His were located in the same place, but much deeper. Both of us have polished our bolt lugs.

Last pics are the LH charging handle mod that I'm doing for others now. Aside from eliminating the kiss of the charger, It makes reloading and recharging the weapon a dream in comparison! :super:

post-1293-0-37900900-1301514669_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-47143200-1301514678_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-91009700-1301514696_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-86394100-1301515314_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys. My PSL is putting 1/8" deep dents on the shoulders, which is pretty much fatal to (formerly) reloadable brass.

Cobra, does your mod notch the top of the receiver as well as the dust cover? If I get into the 3gun fun, I may talk to you about that mod. Right now, this is a 'meat gun'.

Thanks, guys. My PSL is putting 1/8" deep dents on the shoulders, which is pretty much fatal to (formerly) reloadable brass.

Cobra, does your mod notch the top of the receiver as well as the dust cover? If I get into the 3gun fun, I may talk to you about that mod. Right now, this is a 'meat gun'.

Does the psl have the 3rd lug like the saiga 308? they put dents on the shoulder and even tears in some of the bad ones from rounds on a certan side of the mag

The picture with the writing is self explanatory. Second picture with the dent near the shoulder were apparently caused by the charging handle. After I place the tygon tubing on the handle those dent were very minimal. The third picture with the small ding near the middle of the case are referred to as the AK kiss I believe. Caused by the case hitting the dust cover as the case is ejected. I solved that with the buffer fabricated from some inter tube and a piece of spring steel to hold it in place. Hope this helps.

post-5414-0-07243800-1301538633_thumb.jpg

post-5414-0-08018500-1301538763_thumb.jpg

post-5414-0-59210000-1301539514_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-02190300-1301514787_thumb.jpg

The dented neck on the middle one I believe was from the charging handle.

My charging handle is well protected under rubber surgical tubing and electrical tape, and I still get dents just like this. I also use the car door molding trick on the dust cover.

I just looked at the charging handle on my rifle, and I think these rounds are hitting the bolt carrier itself. Right next to the charging handle, there's a little corner on the bolt carrier with some suspicious brass marks. I bet that's where they're hitting. It seems improbable that the shoulder of the case could hit there, but it might be bouncing off my padded charging handle or dust cover. Occasionally I'll have a case that ejects forward rather than to the side - this might be the ones getting these dents. I know some of them are bouncing off my receiver as well, the brass marks there are very apparent. Anyway, brass marks don't lie, and even a crappy picture is worth at least 500 words.

Not the clearest picture, but you can probably see what I'm talking about:

308grous002-3.jpg

However, they seem to reload just fine for me and get mostly pushed back out on the next firing. .

Edited by Dudethebagman

Yeah, PSL has 2 big locking lugs and a 3rd, smaller one.

I will have to clean up the insides again (don't clean much, she doesn't feed reliably m16 clean!), because I may also be getting a hit on the bolt carrier. Lots of brass markings there, as well as on the side of the receiver cover. I really don't want to mess with shaping the ejector, but I may have to... I'm afraid I will screw it up and have to replace the left-hand rail.

• 7 months later...

The AK KISS can be troublesome and frustrating for re-loaders. The dust cover was designed to throw the hot cases (military steel) forward to the right so it wouldnt land on your combat buddy sitting or standing to the right of you.

If you cycle some shells or dummy rounds (with the cover removed) by hand very slowly you will see the case flip straight up and hit the sharp edge on the top of the bolt face.This contact point is much lower on the case and if you use a fine tooth half moon file you can round this off to reduce this small ding. This is the first step in reducing/stopping the AK KISS. Next you will need to modify the cover because that is where the larger/deeper 90 degree ding will come from. You can get some door edge moulding for a car from the local parts store and line the edge of the cover. This will greatly reduce the sharp ding for reloading purposes but it will not eliminate it. A few strips of electrical tape will also work, add or replace when it wears out.

If you want the ding virtually eliminated you will need to modify the cover. With a sanding stone attached to your drill or press, begin removing material on the rear, downward angled part of the cover. Follow the original outline and no-one will know the difference. This is where the ding is suffered in the ejection process. Remove enough material to slightly expose the bolt face when pulled back to the locked open position. Run a few test shells through as before by hand and note where the shell touches. If it strikes the modified edge on the bolt face you are done. If it strikes the cover then remove a little more material and retest.

Do yourself and your buddies to your right a favor when shooting and put a shell catcher on it. Hey your saving the brass remember? This modification WILL CHANGE WHERE THE BRASS GOES if you dont use a shell catcher !!! I would estimate a 60 degree angle straight up and 90 degrees to the right. I shot at least 50 rounds the other day and most of my brass was missing the KISS.

Here are some pictures of the modification and the worst cases that have been cleaned, still reloadable after the tumbling and resizing work is done.

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy63/SJPSA/AK%20KISS/001.jpg

http://i778.photobuc...%20KISS/002.jpg

http://i778.photobuc...%20KISS/003.jpg

http://i778.photobuc...%20KISS/004.jpg

Edited by SJPSAK47