UTG quad rail Questions

I wante dto know who has the UTG quadrail for the Saiga 12. I love the look of how the upper portion of the gas block is exposed and the lower is covered. No other tri or quad rail I have seen does this. All others I have seen cover the whole gas block and I don't want to hide the very thing that makes the Saiga 12 AWESOME!! Also, I want to know if you can cowitness with the Krebs combat sights which I have on my gun. I never plan on having any other sight on my 12 and I dont want to lose the function of having my Krebs sights cause I love them. I plan on cutting the shoter top section of rail just at the rear sight block to not interfere with the ghost ring. Here is a quick 30 sec paint edit I did. Please let me know if you have any answers. Thanks.

utgrail.jpg

utgrailmodded.jpg

Edit: spelling

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109

when I had mine I could co witness with the factory sights so I think if you cut the rail back like in your picture you will be able to use the Krebs combat rear sight. Not sure if it'll work with the Krebs front though. It did make it alil difficult to see with the rail but it worked and should work even better with it cut back. Good luck in your search.

Edited by AZG

Well if one of the Site business members would make one like UTG and just make a low profile top cover with no rails, for me that would be ideal. I just wonder if it would be low enough to cowitness. Like I said I dont need the top rail just the tri-rail but don't want to cover the whole gas block and leave the whole top open. I could even just cut the rail out and leave the center completely open but dont want to waste a hundo with experimenting. Guess there is only 1 way to see. Like this just open in the middle and the brackets on the sides. Almost like a tunnel.

utgrailmodded2.jpg

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109

You don't have to mount the top rails if you don't want to. I left them off when I used mine. If you look closely, you can see the screws that are for the mount which are vertical, and the screws that the top rail mounts to which are at 45 degrees/diagonal. But the mount is what holds the tri rail on. The top rails are optional. I think it actually looks good w/o the top rails.

I considered the chaos tri rail but saw this and like it a little more. If Cameron decided to make a similar product I would rather buy from him. I will wait for the beat deal though. $100 seems alot for only using half it's functions.

The UTG rail can be used with or without the top rail. The way it mounts you can use the base sights in either configuration, the clamp that hods the bottom part on fits over the smaller portion of the gas block and does not interfere with the sights and the top rails have a gap between them and the weapon allowing you to sight underneath the rail. It looks nice in either configuration.

If you were to cut either of the top rails I would suggest cutting the longer rail, because of its length and softer material it already has a bit of flex to it that you wouldn't want to mount a sight on. The shorter top rail is rock solid though and good to use as is.

Pros:

Cheapest aluminum quad rail available

3 ways to install (no top rail, medium top rail, long top rail)

Comes with rail covers

No need to remove sights, and bridges sights allowing them to still be used.

Cons:

Softer material - I had a tactical light that was loosened by recoil because I didn't use blue loctite on it, it gauged the slot it was in pretty good.

The longer top rail flexes

The rail covers that came with mine had no cross support, and, while they do fit tight, slugs and buckshot cause them to slide off your rail. I heard their newer covers might have supports, but the ones that came with my quad rail did not.

That being said I'm going to continue to use mine until I can afford a Chaos Titan. The Titan wasn't available when I was originally doing my conversion, but its almost exactly the style I was hoping for to begin with. The nice looking rail covers that came with the UTG will still see use, but on my M&P 15-22 where they won't slide anywhere, I'll be picking up some covers the with cross supports so buckshot won't slide them off the rail.

Edited by fauxknight
  • Like 1

well I did find this one on Ebay. I Believe that the UTG is not US made but this one is. Looks similar and is half the cost of the UTG one. Any suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Saiga-12-20-Quad-Rail-System-Fits-all-Importers-Mfg-/250797450454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64b164d6

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109

Well I emailed the seller about where the product is mad and this is the response I got:

"this one uses usa made aluminum. we do the machining here too but the finish is done in china the epa is very hard on anodising prosesses and the type of finish we wanted on this one they dont do here very cheaply. the screws also are forign made too. allen wrench to assemble it in made here. I hope this anwsers the question some what."

Kinda confusing.

It looks like the same thing which from the suppliers response is why UTG won't state that its us made. But CSS does:

"Quad rail system for your Saiga Shotgun (12ga). Built from tough metal, two piece construction for easy and rock solid installation.

Fits Saiga 12 Ga. and Compatible Variants

Solid Aircraft Aluminum Alloy Construction with Precise CNC Machining

Top/Middle/Bottom 3-piece Innovative Design

Allowing Flexible Accessory Applications

Includes 20 Left/Right/Bottom Slots and 31 Top Slots

Designed with See-through Feature for Use with Iron Sights

Great Zero Retention Capability for All Accessories Installed on the Rails

Easy Installation with No Modification to the Barrel

Made in the USA and counts for 1 922r compliant part UTG-LEAPERS"

Still confusing

It looks like the same thing which from the suppliers response is why UTG won't state that its us made.

I've heard some UTG rails are not US made, but some are definately marked as on the rail as US made.

Hmmm, I never could find a us marking on mine so maybe I had a foreigner

It looks like the same thing which from the suppliers response is why UTG won't state that its us made.

I've heard some UTG rails are not US made, but some are definately marked as on the rail as US made.

Hmmm, I never could find a us marking on mine so maybe I had a foreigner

Mine is clearly labeled "Made in USA", so I guess its a toss up?

Edit, the picture posted above doesn't say it either, where it says "UTG" (just above the bottom rail towards the front) is where mine says "Made in USA", and then it says "UTG PRO" way over to the right.

Edited by fauxknight
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

Got the UTG rail in yesterday (Thanks fauxknight) and I got to say it's real nice looking. I checked the clearance for my Krebs sights with the top cover only, no rail and all is good. Plenty of sight there. Then I checked the clearance with the top rail installed. Like I expected the rail doesn't clear the ghost ring so I put it on backwards, with the rail length over the barrel, and it WILL cowitness with the sights. So I removed the longer rail and 5 minutes with a jigsaw and some 80 grit sandpaper and a file, and it looks great. I will be posting up some pics later on and when I get to the field I will test to see if I get failures or not. Thanks everyone for your input.

• Like 1

Definately get some pics up when you've got it ready to go. Chopping the long rail all the way down to that point is something I was considering doing to it originally.

Now I gotta run with the factory handguard until the third wave of titans comes out in a month or so. Already got a set of MBUS and and EOTech ready to slap on it for flip up cowitness goodness.

Edited by fauxknight
  • 10 months later...

I talked to a guy selling quad rails on eBay for $50. He said something about the screws being made in China so it didn't count as a 922® part but that in a month or so the new batch should qualify. That was over the summer and I've been keeping an eye on eBay Saiga 12 rails, but I haven't seen any advertise for 922® compliance. I don't mind spending ~$100 to get a 922® compliant part, so I think I'll order mine from Carolina Shooters Supply since they advertise their UTG part as 922® compliant.

Since someone mentioned hardness and the Chaos version: what's the difference? Is it a harder aluminum? At first I thought it looked the same, but then I noticed that part that goes over teh dust cover. Now I kinda wanna prerder it lol.

UTG is made by Leapers, and and are made in China. I had some correspondance with the customer service mgr a while back when they started building the rails for Saiga. I wouldn't think that a Chinese company would be building anything over here with the cheap slave labor that they have over there. They(China) do buy raw materials from here and do the forging/casting and finish work over there.

UTG is made by Leapers, and and are made in China. I had some correspondance with the customer service mgr a while back when they started building the rails for Saiga. I wouldn't think that a Chinese company would be building anything over here with the cheap slave labor that they have over there. They(China) do buy raw materials from here and do the forging/casting and finish work over there.

actually there pro model is made here in the US. I picked one up from another member here and It's made in the US stamped. I like it but I gotta go thru and loctite the thing yet only had it out twice. And since it will be perm on the gun I'm using red.

• 4 months later...

Well here are the pics.Let me know what you think.

sdc10275m.jpg

sdc10276i.jpg

sdc10277e.jpg

sdc10279zc.jpg

Ok right now I have this rail on my Saiga-12 until the Magpul 870 forearm comes out in flat dark earth. Why would you even keep the top rail if all your going to use are the iron sights? And I think I read something about getting a sight co witness with this rail? A co witness would be if you have an optic, like a red dot, and after you zero both the irons and the red dot when you look down both at the same time you get a co witness because both the red dot and iron sights fall on the sane point on the target. You cannot get a co witness with this rail because it raises the top rail above the iron sights do that you have to look underneath the rail. If all you are going to use is the front bead and the ghost ring you don't need to worry about a co witness seeing as there will only be one sight being utilized, making that just a witness......maybe I dont know what I'm talking about lol.

Edited by BLK-HWK-VET