UTG quad rail Questions

The UTG rail can be used with or without the top rail. The way it mounts you can use the base sights in either configuration, the clamp that hods the bottom part on fits over the smaller portion of the gas block and does not interfere with the sights and the top rails have a gap between them and the weapon allowing you to sight underneath the rail. It looks nice in either configuration.

If you were to cut either of the top rails I would suggest cutting the longer rail, because of its length and softer material it already has a bit of flex to it that you wouldn't want to mount a sight on. The shorter top rail is rock solid though and good to use as is.

Pros:

Cheapest aluminum quad rail available

3 ways to install (no top rail, medium top rail, long top rail)

Comes with rail covers

No need to remove sights, and bridges sights allowing them to still be used.

Cons:

Softer material - I had a tactical light that was loosened by recoil because I didn't use blue loctite on it, it gauged the slot it was in pretty good.

The longer top rail flexes

The rail covers that came with mine had no cross support, and, while they do fit tight, slugs and buckshot cause them to slide off your rail. I heard their newer covers might have supports, but the ones that came with my quad rail did not.

That being said I'm going to continue to use mine until I can afford a Chaos Titan. The Titan wasn't available when I was originally doing my conversion, but its almost exactly the style I was hoping for to begin with. The nice looking rail covers that came with the UTG will still see use, but on my M&P 15-22 where they won't slide anywhere, I'll be picking up some covers the with cross supports so buckshot won't slide them off the rail.

Also one of the other cons, is its sight plane is much higher! Raising the sight plane to keep the factory sights was a bad design move, sure you don't have to remove anything but the factory sight setup, which by the way is crap, so by leaving them on there all they done is caused you to go to a cheek rest and cause more instability by having a taller rail thats made out of thinner metal.

I considered the chaos tri rail but saw this and like it a little more. If Cameron decided to make a similar product I would rather buy from him. I will wait for the beat deal though. $100 seems alot for only using half it's functions.

If you want something that you could take onto a battle field and use daily then you might want to reconsider a Chaos rail system. Remember my rail is actually designed and made here, in this country, by Americans making more than $1 a day, I pay $2 a day .lol Many companies use "Made In USA" even though, It's 99% made across seas, and I would have no reason to believe UTG is any different but thats a whole other topic. As far as the $100 price, it's a great price, and we have worked very hard to get that price down there. Plus you can buy and Extanded now and buy the Titan top later. And although you looking at the UTG price and going wow look at all the other extra crap I get, kinda like one of those late night infomercial that will sell you a hand full plastic shit, worthless shit just so you fill you have gotten a great deal. I let Tommy boy take it from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4C9ssuPjE

Heres the bonus I offer, when we are invaded I'll be fighting along side of you with a battle rail on my weapon, I sure hope you don't show up with that airsoft quality rail on yours.wink.png

• Like 1

You don't have to mount the top rails if you don't want to. I left them off when I used mine. If you look closely, you can see the screws that are for the mount which are vertical, and the screws that the top rail mounts to which are at 45 degrees/diagonal. But the mount is what holds the tri rail on. The top rails are optional. I think it actually looks good w/o the top rails.

Do you have open screw holes where the top rail would be? Does that look like crap?

You don't have to mount the top rails if you don't want to. I left them off when I used mine. If you look closely, you can see the screws that are for the mount which are vertical, and the screws that the top rail mounts to which are at 45 degrees/diagonal. But the mount is what holds the tri rail on. The top rails are optional. I think it actually looks good w/o the top rails.

Do you have open screw holes where the top rail would be? Does that look like crap?

IMO, no. Not any worse than screw heads sticking out looks. Might be an improvement over the look of the too cover mounted.

The UTG rail can be used with or without the top rail. The way it mounts you can use the base sights in either configuration, the clamp that hods the bottom part on fits over the smaller portion of the gas block and does not interfere with the sights and the top rails have a gap between them and the weapon allowing you to sight underneath the rail. It looks nice in either configuration.

If you were to cut either of the top rails I would suggest cutting the longer rail, because of its length and softer material it already has a bit of flex to it that you wouldn't want to mount a sight on. The shorter top rail is rock solid though and good to use as is.

Pros:

Comes with rail covers

Cons:

Softer material - I had a tactical light that was loosened by recoil because I didn't use blue loctite on it, it gauged the slot it was in pretty good.

The rail covers that came with mine had no cross support, and, while they do fit tight, slugs and buckshot cause them to slide off your rail. I heard their newer covers might have supports, but the ones that came with my quad rail did not.

That being said I'm going to continue to use mine until I can afford a Chaos Titan. The Titan wasn't available when I was originally doing my conversion, but its almost exactly the style I was hoping for to begin with. The nice looking rail covers that came with the UTG will still see use, but on my M&P 15-22 where they won't slide anywhere, I'll be picking up some covers the with cross supports so buckshot won't slide them off the rail.

Also one of the other cons, is its sight plane is much higher! Raising the sight plane to keep the factory sights was a bad design move, sure you don't have to remove anything but the factory sight setup, which by the way is crap, so by leaving them on there all they done is caused you to go to a cheek rest and cause more instability by having a taller rail thats made out of thinner metal.

Yeah Im with you there I dont much see the point in adding a top rail to continue use my factory sight.

Pros:

Comes with rail covers

Cons:

Yeah Im with you there I dont much see the point in adding a top rail to continue use my factory sight.

I was pointing out the sight plane is much higher on the UTG!

It looks like the same thing which from the suppliers response is why UTG won't state that its us made.

I've heard some UTG rails are not US made, but some are definately marked as on the rail as US made.

Hmmm, I never could find a us marking on mine so maybe I had a foreigner

Mine is clearly labeled "Made in USA", so I guess its a toss up?

Edit, the picture posted above doesn't say it either, where it says "UTG" (just above the bottom rail towards the front) is where mine says "Made in USA", and then it says "UTG PRO" way over to the right.

It isnt a toss up actually. The government is not going to make you research the manufacturing of every company of every part you buy. If the company markets the items as "US MADE" then it counts. I dont care if all of it is made in the US, clearly some or most of it is and they market it as 922 compliant.

Pros:

Comes with rail covers

Cons:

I was pointing out the sight plane is much higher on the UTG!

I agree. Whens the next batch of Chaos tri-rails coming out?

U.T.G.

Ugly Transsexual Guy

Go Chaos or gay. Your choice. 018.gif

Yeah go Chaos and wait a month to get your rail. I guess Im going homo. Thanks for the clarification.

Dig up a 4 month old topic to come out of the closest by commenting on a year and a half old post? Gay and weird.

• Like 1