Like the name of the thread, I GOTS ME A MOSIN!!!! Its a 1943, made by Izhevsk. The pic here is from yesterday after I bought it. Paid $127 and a few change out the door, got the bayo sling and ammo pouch with it and was kinda pissed to see no bolt tool, but Iam going to order that from Cheaper than dirt.

Here she is!!!

mailks.jpg

I cleaned her up today, my first experience with Cosmoline. Wasnt too bad I think, the stock still has a shit ton of cosmo in it, but thats going to have to wait till it gets good and warm out.

I used a hand steamer and good ole boiling water to clean the barrel, bolt and magazine. Then oiled the crap out of it.

• Like 1

Nice! Purple power, simple green, and regular transmission fluid cleans cosmoline really good. Works good on metal. Never tried on wood but I wouldn't recomend it.

Counter-bored? Did you take the bolt apart and check for some sneaky cosmo in there? If not I would wait until you get the tool for the firing pin...What no oiler either?

Not counter bored. Without the bolt tool i cant take it completely apart, but I boiled the bolt and a lot came out.

And no Oiler either!!!!

Arik-- I also used some dawn dish soap in the water, ate it off nicely.

No need for the tool for disassembly, but you do need it or something else to measure the firing pin when you put it back together.

kewl. What size bore brush works in these? the one brush i have didnt feel like it was big enough, but still got alot of gunk out.

Edited by Marrok

Congrats on your Mosin! I miss my 91/30.. Never should've sold her... .30 cal. bore brushes work well, and they're pretty easy to find. I'd reccomend a .45 for the chamber, though. I'm sure you're already aware, but beefcake's post reminded me- be sure to get that firing pin tension set correctly. Over-tightened mine the first time and didn't know it until I'd fired the first shot and the bolt absolutely refused to open. Any factory stamps on the stock? Good luck with the new toy, and enjoy the cosmoline! :rolleyes:

Congrats on your Mosin! I miss my 91/30.. Never should've sold her... .30 cal. bore brushes work well, and they're pretty easy to find. I'd reccomend a .45 for the chamber, though. I'm sure you're already aware, but beefcake's post reminded me- be sure to get that firing pin tension set correctly. Over-tightened mine the first time and didn't know it until I'd fired the first shot and the bolt absolutely refused to open. Any factory stamps on the stock? Good luck with the new toy, and enjoy the cosmoline! :rolleyes:

30 cal for barrel, 45 for chamber gotcha.

I dont know if the tension is set right, dont know how to tell.

the stock.....there is a backwards R next to the crossbolt, an O in a diamond, a P by the buttplate, 2 weird lookin 6 in circles, and what looks like a line in an O.

I cleaned out all the cosmo from the receiver/barrel and bolt, the stock I just wiped with a sponge and hot water .

EDIT-- And welcome to the forum!

Edited by Marrok

the stock.....there is a backwards R next to the crossbolt, an O in a diamond, a P by the buttplate, 2 weird lookin 6 in circles, and what looks like a line in an O.

Not that this actually helps you any, but some clarification on the Russian Cyrillic alphabet:

Я = Ya

Р = R

б = b (lower case; upper case looks like Б)

Ф = F

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster

my firing pin screw seems to turn a little after i drop the bolt to fire position. anyone know why that is? it doesnt turn anymore after the initial one, and it doesnt measure more than it did before it turned

Counter-bored? Did you take the bolt apart and check for some sneaky cosmo in there? If not I would wait until you get the tool for the firing pin...What no oiler either?

Not counter bored. Without the bolt tool i cant take it completely apart, but I boiled the bolt and a lot came out.

And no Oiler either!!!!

When it came to cosmoline removal, I never bothered disassembling the bolts of any of my SKS's and Mosin-Nagants. I just sprayed a fair deal of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber down the firing pin hole and it removed the stuff to my satisfaction. To date, I have not had a single slamfire or any other issue with any of these rifles. Come to think of it, the only time I disassembled a bolt was when I replaced the firing pin spring on my Czech Vz. 24 Mauser so it would set off the primers of that 1950's Yugoslavian 7.92X57mm ammo.

My M91/30 was also made in Izhevsk in 1943. It is good to know that your handguard is not being problematic like mine was (I had to shim it to prevent it from sliding forward while firing the gun).

Edited by 7N6Wolf

And no Oiler either!!!!

When it came to cosmoline removal, I never bothered disassembling the bolts of any of my SKS's and Mosin-Nagants. I just sprayed a fair deal of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber down the firing pin hole and it removed the stuff to my satisfaction. To date, I have not had a single slamfire or any other issue with any of these rifles. Come to think of it, the only time I disassembled a bolt was when I replaced the firing pin spring on my Czech Vz. 24 Mauser so it would set off the primers of that 1950's Yugoslavian 7.92X57mm ammo.

My M91/30 was also made in Izhevsk in 1943. It is good to know that your handguard is not being problematic like mine was (I had to shim it to prevent it from sliding forward while firing the gun).

Some people like to be thorough though.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an idea with the stock, ran with it and ended up with something I think is pretty cool.

I let the stock sit in the sun for a few hours till no more cosmo came out.

Then grabbed the stock and some murphys oil soap (a 2:1 ratio soap to water) and went to town with a washcloth. It cleaned up very nicely, a lot of the old dirt and grease came off. But some of the finish came off!! It now looks as tho it has been worn down a bit, like it was handled roughly in a war time (like I wish it was).

Heres what some parts look like, the pics dont do it justice, it looks WAY better in person

let me know what ya think.

Edited by Marrok

Looks like a Nagant, alright! :blink: I'd say it looks pretty good! Good idea letting it sit in the sun, too. I tried the old bathtub method with one of my M44's. Let it soak in steaming hot water, continuously filling the tub for about 4 hours. While it soaked, I was able to scrape off/out nearly all the cosmoline and most of the polyurethane. Upside: the wood swells and the grain really pops out. Downside: any cracks, no matter how small, become problematic. The stock came out great, but there was a little baby fracture in the HG. Coincidentally, know where I can find a spare M44 HG? <_< Obviously, you're going for the nostalgic look though, so I wouldn't recommend my plan...

Looks like a Nagant, alright! :blink: I'd say it looks pretty good! Good idea letting it sit in the sun, too. I tried the old bathtub method with one of my M44's. Let it soak in steaming hot water, continuously filling the tub for about 4 hours. While it soaked, I was able to scrape off/out nearly all the cosmoline and most of the polyurethane. Upside: the wood swells and the grain really pops out. Downside: any cracks, no matter how small, become problematic. The stock came out great, but there was a little baby fracture in the HG. Coincidentally, know where I can find a spare M44 HG? <_< Obviously, you're going for the nostalgic look though, so I wouldn't recommend my plan...

The sun method worked perfectly. I cracked my handguard by accidently steppin on it. 028.gif but its not totally broken.

Oh and where to find M44 hand guards?

Here ya go they look to be in eh condition and for $25.

Edited by Marrok

I cracked my handguard by accidently steppin on it. 028.gif but its not totally broken.

Dude, Idk what it is about handguards, but I swear they're cursed..

Thanks a ton! Couldn't find one locally to save my life...

I cracked my handguard by accidently steppin on it. 028.gif but its not totally broken.

Dude, Idk what it is about handguards, but I swear they're cursed..

Thanks a ton! Couldn't find one locally to save my life...

The trick is not to step on them! :D

• Like 1

No need for the tool for disassembly, but you do need it or something else to measure the firing pin when you put it back together.

kewl. What size bore brush works in these? the one brush i have didnt feel like it was big enough, but still got alot of gunk out.

Same size as for the AK, .30 cal. Both fire a 7.62 bullet. Some Mosin bores will be tighter than others. Tighter is better.

Strip it apart and hang the metal parts up from a rafter and hit them with a heat gun. The cosmo will drip on out. The cosmo doesn't ever completely come out of the wood, it will continue to boil out when the gun gets hot when shooting. But it gives the heat shield a pretty cool amber glow. Buff the bolt up with steel wool and a drimmel polishing pad and get the receiver clean and you won't have any sticky bolt issues.

Thanks on the info Jaba.

Well i know i shouldnt have but oh well. I took some sandpaper delicately to the stock, and used a light cherry stain on the wood. its lighter than it was which is what I wanted.

Here she is. the photo is lighter than it really is. new camera fone, so i dont know the settings

31001068.jpg

• 1 month later...