I'm not sure where this would go, but since it fires a 410 shell I'm guessing here, Mods can move to more appropriate section if needed.

Anywho, girl was looking for a marlin 44 mag repeater, and the guy at the counter showed her one of these:

RossiCircuitJudge1.jpg?width=721

Having fired the Judge revolver before, I can tell instantly what they had done, but wasn't sure on much else other than my dad loves his judge (keeps it in the car) and I've also heard many complaints about Taurus/Rossi but never experienced them myself.

But yeah, she shouldered it and said she loved it, bought it right then and there.

I came here the other day asking if anyone knew anything about it, but no one had, so I thought I'd leave my thoughts on it here for future reference.

The first range trip we had was somewhat of a disappointment. She only had 45 colt ammo for it, so we were trying it first at 25 yards, and then at then again at 75 yards. It's a pretty consistent shot. How consistent? I don't know yet, the sights are off and she still needs to adjust them. Right now it shoots a bit high and to the right. I put 5 rounds through it and think I agree with her, it would spin the plates every time if you aimed at the bottom left corner at those distances. Plus, those 45 colts would really spin those plates around! But there was a problem we were having, it wouldn't fire double action. The hammer would hit the primer (leaving an indent) but the primer would not go off. You would simply get a *click* If you pulled the hammer back and pulled the trigger, it would go right off. Even with primers that had already been hit. This was worrisome, but before blaming the gun and calling up rossi, I would give it a second chance. The 45 colt ammo we had found was dirt cheap (25$ for a box of 50) and locally made, and while I would love to support someone local, if the product didn't work there is no point.

Which brings us up to yesterday. I went into work and they told me to go home while we wait on some parts to come in. So I snuck down to the range to fire at some clays with her new toy. This brings up one of the things I don't like about the gun right now. In order to fire 410 rounds I need a straight choke so the shot doesen't spin. In order to fire 410 slugs or 45 colt it needs a different choke. I understand the reasoning behind this, so it doesent cause a donut shape with the shot shells. But changing the choke requires a special key and I can't fire 410 slugs or 45 colt out of the straight choke. I'm not even sure if it's a traditional choke really, but that's what the manual calls it. It's a 5 minute process to switch from 45 colt to 410 shot, and it just needs to be streamlined some. Anyways; I picked up some 410 rounds (Jesus those things are expensive for what they are!) and some 12 gaige for my saiga. After warming up on the saiga, I tried to give her judge a shot.

Miss. Miss. Miss! Miss! Miss!

Well, at least it's working in double action now. It is now a semi automatic 410 shotgun. I guess it was that cheap ammo we were using, or maybe the 45 colt rounds themselves, I'll report back when I find different ammo for it. (going to have to start reloading those things)

I was hitting nearly every clay with the saiga, but with hers I couldn't hit a single one. Never mind doubles or triples. And then I remembered something I should have thought of first thing! The sights were still off.

Aimed bit low and to the left for the next five rounds. I hit 2 out of 5. Neither clay completely disintegrated, but they were clearly broken. Recoil was non exsistant, and made for quick follow up shots. I hit a one single and one double on my 3rd cylinder through. Once again, none of the clays turned to powder, instead they all simply broke. I haven't fired at clays with a 410 before, but this might just be how they all are. Decided it was working fine, and saved the 10 rounds left to bring on back home.

So right now, once it gets sighted in, and assuming it can fire 45 long colt double action. (Will report back on that) I don't have any real complaints about it. I like the versatility of it, it seems to give consistent shots, it's light, and the shoulder/grip is ergonomic, there is no real recoil but it has plenty of power in 410 or 45. It's a bit pricey right now to me, but it's brand new so I figure it will go down some. Just some nitpicking:

In order to empty the cylinder, it needs to be rotated. The 410 rounds hit the stock, the cylinder needs to swing out further or the stock needs to be trimmed. You can't simply open the cylinder and hit the button, you have to open it, hit it, spin the cylinder half a turn, then hit it again. That could be an easy fix.

The choke thing. I just wish there was something built on it similar to a polychoke, where it could simply be spun (or slide a lever?) to alternate between 45 colt and 410. Having 3 tiny parts that are easy to lose and carry them in a gun that doesen't have a hollow stock is annoying and worrisome.

Other than that, it's an interesting design, and the GF now has something bigger than a 22 to call her own.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update here, we got some Winchester 45 colt and it runs just fine through the gun on double action.

She's really digging it, and it's growing on me too. Handy little size, she can use the 45 colt rounds and shoot our metal plates at the 75 yard range (hasn't worked her way up to 100 yet) and then move over to the clays with the same gun. Which is exactly what she did today. She was hitting singles, but had trouble hitting doubles (Was firing it single action though)

I'm sure there are better 45 colt rifles, as well as better 410 shotguns, but honestly this isn't a bad compromise of the too.

Now to start reloading those 45 colt rounds!