cheapest/easiest alternative for saiga mags

my saiga 223 is converted and no bullet guide. what is going to be the easiest option for me to get into the steel mags? looking forward to having cheaper steel mags vs 30 dollar plastic surefires.

Add the Bullet guide...it's inexpensive and easy to do...order it from Dinzag and worry no more!

Going to order it soon, but i don't have a drill press. I did some searching and I found out some jb weld would work in place of not having a drill press.

Great price for galil mags 13 dollars much better than 30 for plastic sure fire.

You can use a hand drill and lube and center it right...not difficult...hope you have fun shooting it.

• Like 1

Bullet guide and Tapco Galil mags are the cheapest way to go!

The OP wanted steel mags...so the surplus steel Galil mags would be the choice....although the Tapco ones are nice a little wobble in my gun but still function to this point.

Tapcos are one of the more solid fits in my .223 Saiga while steel Galil magazines (35-round) have the loosest. They also are hit-and-miss when it comes to functioning properly. Some work all the time, others will only feed from one side of the mag or the other when wobbled.

Another option is using Circle-10 .223 magazines. They've got steel in all the important places. Unfortunately, they cost more than surplus Galil mags.

• Like 1

I shot 100 rounds through the Tapco Galil's Sunday. I had 7 mags to test. It was my first time to shoot this. I had 3 out of 110 rounds that did not go bang when the trigger was pulled. The rounds did fire upon the second time. I do not blame the rounds (2 Brown Bear amd 1 PMC 55gr), or the magazine. I believe it was my gun. I am not an expert on this, but the trigger did not reset as it should. It may have been the buffer I had in it. It could be a break in issue. It was toward the end of the 110 rounds. It happened with about 5 rounds left in 2 mags. I do not believe it to be the Tapcos.

I fired 5 rounds for each of 7. I loaded up 2 with 20-25 rounds. Those were the only issues I had. I am going to chaulk it up to break in.

-FYI - I am going to also post this on the Tapco Galil thread, since this is relevant info specific to that topic.

I plan to get some Bulgarian Circle 10 magazines as well, so I have some mil spec mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Would theses work in the Saigas? I'm interested in theses and they sure are priced right for steel mags!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=114295

It's a crapshoot. Some do, some don't - it appears to be more a function of variations in individual rifles than anything intrinsic to the mags themselves...

Cheapest for me, was putting in a Renegadebuck Saiga/AR15 magazine adapter. I have plenty of mags. So the adapter paid for itself in 5-6 magazines. I saved $20 on each magazine having an AR15 instead of a $30 Surefire magazine. And ALL future magazines will be cheaper. I spend between $6-$9 for an AR15 magazine.

Would theses work in the Saigas? I'm interested in theses and they sure are priced right for steel mags!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=114295

I got mine from Midway. One out of four was brand new with a jet black finish and looked much nicer than pictured. Three out of four had half the finish worn off and came to my doorstep with authentic bits of Israeli sand still hiding under the follower. All magazines fed correctly with a Dinzag bullet guide that I hand-installed with a power drill and pliers. They do wobble just a little bit, but it looks like the wobble would go away if the magazines sat a fraction of an inch higher in the magazine well and I think I can fix that. I'm also going to refinish - not because I don't like scratches but because I'm worried they'll start to rust. The corner of the United States where I live is a good bit more humid than Israel...

If you don't mind doing some minor fitting and refinishing then I'd strongly recommend these magazines.