Make your own 10 rd S20 mag

Got tired of waiting for others.... so I decided to make my own.

I began with one of the clear Lexan 14 rounders avaialble from CSS (and others) and I cut about just under 3" out. I wanted an 8-rndr, but figgered this was a good starting point.

First cut the floor plate off at the bevel - about 3/8" aobve the very bottom of the mag. Then cut out the amount of mag bdoy you want (3" will getcha a 10-rndr, apparently)

Using Loctite Epoxy Plastic bonder, I glued the seam, first. Let that cure.

Then using the screen mesh, I placed a piece over each seam on each side of the mag (like wallboard seam tape)

Using the Loctite again, I slathered over the screen mesh, and made a large bevel of glue. Figgered this would make it a little stronger. Let that cure. Sanded a little (still kinda rough looking) and let the whole thing cure.

Used black high gloss (Rustoleum) spray paint specifically for plastic,a nd then while still wet used a flat black to get the finish you see.

Cut 4 coils out the factory mag spring. Left the follower unpaintd.

Used masking tape to create a sight window. Shows six rds in the mag.

Pics (w/ factory 5 rndr) :

qxnj0h.jpg

2h6wtoh.jpg

2z8dezs.jpg

Thus far, finish seems very durable (mag catch has not scraped paint off) and functions fine.

Think I'll go for an 8 rndr next.

Edited by garandman
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Nick glad to hear from you. How was the summer? News sounded like you would have been working your butt off.

In as much as the sale of the mags has been slower than hoped for (still ongoing and we're putting some together right now) at this point I don't see talking my boss into putting any more time or money into the project as a possibility. That may or may not change but for now R&D from the business side is at a stop. (someones new metal 8s and 10s should be out and about very soon from what I've been reading, I don't see that helping us but should be good news for S20 owners).

As time permits I'm playing with some personal R&D for a design on a metal clamp to cut the mags and butt the sections together. I found using a bunch of my junk mail folded over and shoved in the mag works pretty well for a guide and temporary fixture to align the sections. I'm thinking at this point to make the clamp easier / cheaper to make I need to get away from the ribs and work on just cutting out part of the long straight at the top. Problem is for the clamp to work good you need good straight flats front and rear to hold the alignment of the track for the rim of the shells. Funny part of this is what I've been working towards was to make a longer "Frankenmag" to try to get up to 25 rounds not the shorter 10 rounders.

If I actually get anywhere on the clamps I'll let you know, as for now the mags with the center cut out work great, hold 10, and load fine on a closed bolt. The prototype 2nd from the left was just super glued with some braces added. I'm doing a few more fiberglassed (works but looks crappy). The tape is on it to keep the resign from going into any gaps with the sections butted together.

Edited by 20-Mags

Phil,

Yeah, we are busy to say the least. I've had one day off in five weeks! Actually, we are catching a break right now...three days of R&R, yahoo!

I hope you can convince your boss to build a baseplate. It seems like an easier, and cleaner, solution than butting the two sections together. I know there are metal baseplates out for the SGM mags. I would think something similar to those would work.

Hope all is well.