ammunition opinions please

Looking for reviews of Tula and Silver bear, also effectiveness of Tula 60 gr. hp. As always, much thanks comrades.

I would load up with 7N6 surplus or Hornady VMAX if desiring effectiveness and reliability. Those others are fine for plinking, although I would just use 7N6. Don't expect much out of a 5.45 HP round.

• Like 2

Looking for reviews of Tula and Silver bear, also effectiveness of Tula 60 gr. hp. As always, much thanks comrades.

I would load up with 7N6 surplus or Hornady VMAX if desiring effectiveness and reliability. Those others are fine for plinking, although I would just use 7N6. Don't expect much out of a 5.45 HP round.

Much thanks Jim, my only reservation is the rifles are costly and I do not want corrosion. I decide to buy Soviet 7n6. Again I thank you.

Edited by Sasha

I picked up some of that Tula awhile back when it was on sale at Graf & Sons. Used it to sight in my rifle. Figured it would be convenient to not have to clean it when I got home.

Ended up going through a bunch of the 7N6 surplus after sighting it in. You know how it goes...nice day, had the time etc.

The Tula shot well, but I think the 7N6 surplus was better. Need to try an accurate comparison next time.

Much thanks Jim, my only reservation is the rifles are costly and I do not want corrosion. I decide to buy Soviet 7n6. Again I thank you.

There are lots of tutorials on how to clean after using corrosive ammo. I suggest finding a routine that is quick and effective, and you'll be fine. You can also use the commercial stuff when you don't feel like cleaning.

Remember that 5.45's herritage is as a military round, not an offshoot of a commerical round like .223 -> 5.56mm. 5.45x39mm rifles are developed around the 53 grain bullet with the steel core and air pocket. In terms of twist rate and stabilization, 60 and 70 grain solid lead core FMJ's and their hollow point varriations are not the rounds optimized for these rifles. that being said, I'm sure with some experimentation a good solid lead core bullet could be found.

I know a guy who did a full review of most of the 5.45 out there. I'll ask him if I can post it here.

Much thanks Arik.

I sent him an email. No reply yet

Edited by Arik

well i like the military ammo myself. i plink now and then with some tula. never tried to do any actual precision shooting with it though. i did, however, get to shoot some of the hornady ammo out now. i was pretty impressed with it. i got about the same accuracy out of it as i did with the 7n6 ammo. but i would rather shoot the surplus ammo anyway. but some say the tula ammo was dirty, but what ammo isnt dirty? it shot and fed fine in my sgl. wasnt any more dirty than any other ammo i put through my rifle.

Same here. I have fired hundreds of rounds of 7N6, waited 24 hours, sprayed some gun oil down he gas tube, barrel, and onto the piston, waited a few days, finally gotten to actually cleaning it, and had pretty much 0 corrosion. Its not really an issue even if you are fairly negligent like I am.

IMHO, just carry some spray can gun oil with you and enjoy cheap effective reliable 7N6. 5.45 is illegal to use in hunting big game in most states anyway simply due to it caliber, and most states will allow small game hunting with FMJ rounds. 7N6 will do just fine for defense too.

Same here. I have fired hundreds of rounds of 7N6, waited 24 hours, sprayed some gun oil down he gas tube, barrel, and onto the piston, waited a few days, finally gotten to actually cleaning it, and had pretty much 0 corrosion. Its not really an issue even if you are fairly negligent like I am.

IMHO, just carry some spray can gun oil with you and enjoy cheap effective reliable 7N6. 5.45 is illegal to use in hunting big game in most states anyway simply due to it caliber, and most states will allow small game hunting with FMJ rounds. 7N6 will do just fine for defense too.

Really this isn't anything either, I have been particularly abusive to mine, shooting monday, and wednesday...probably about 300 rounds each time, and still haven't cleaned it. :devil:

I can't imagine how you guys use water on a gun like this, with so many crevices I would be going nuts trying to make sure it was 100% dry.

Really this isn't anything either, I have been particularly abusive to mine, shooting monday, and wednesday...probably about 300 rounds each time, and still haven't cleaned it. :devil:

I can't imagine how you guys use water on a gun like this, with so many crevices I would be going nuts trying to make sure it was 100% dry.

If you use hot enough water, it dries within seconds. Anything left gets compressed air.

• Like 1

You really do need to use water or soap and water, or a WWII bore cleaner to clean your rifle after using corrosive ammo. The salts will do more damage to your rifle than the water by itself. And no, conventional solvents DO NOT dissolve those salts, so they will still be there when your done cleaning your rifle. Yes, most of these rifles have chrome lined barrels and some chrome lined gas tubes, but they will still rust. And the portion of the rifle that is not chrome lined will get the most abuse.

And no, conventional solvents DO NOT dissolve those salts, so they will still be there when your done cleaning your rifle.

Yet my rifle is undamaged from using only CLP and Hoppe's #9 for months on end.

+1, I have no problems with corrosive. 7N6 is a bargain and shoots the best.

Soapy water, hot water rinse, compressed air and gunzilla...no issues. One spam can down and my rifle is still like new internally.

That's good news that its undamaged, but Patriot is right, Ballistol is some good stuff. It's good practice to use a water based solution because over time those salts will damage the gun. Have yall checked the inside of the gas tube well, thats where its gets real nasty?

I have thousands through mine. Never used soap or water at all.

That's good news that its undamaged, but Patriot is right, Ballistol is some good stuff. It's good practice to use a water based solution because over time those salts will damage the gun. Have yall checked the inside of the gas tube well, thats where its gets real nasty?

You must be doing something right because I have 2 buddies that I shoot with that have used only regular sovent on each of their AK's and no other solvent (Hoppes).They have rust spots in the barrel and gas tube after using corrosive ammo.

I used yugo surplus x25 in my tok for years before I knew of corrosive ammo. Let it sit for years on end without cleaning. And yet almost no pitting. Slight surface rust on mag. This is after shooting and not cleaning for a few years.

Edited by Arik

You must be doing something right because I have 2 buddies that I shoot with that have used only regular sovent on each of their AK's and no other solvent (Hoppes).They have rust spots in the barrel and gas tube after using corrosive ammo.

I checked today before I went to the range, I have not cleaned it since wednesdays shooting session and there was some slight surface rust on the piston, gas block, and inside the rear sight base. The gas tube was pretty well rusted on the surface, so I gave it all a once over with a soaked rag and it all came off. The gas tube does look pretty shitty but I still plan to replace it for one to accept a handguard top. So I am not too worried about it.

I can agree that if you do not use enough cleaning to wash the salts out, then you will see problems. But neither water nor soap are going to neutralize the salts. They are just used to dilude and wash them away.

I probably do need to take better care though since I have been so neglectful to my bitches. How would you notice rust spots in the barrel? I have never seen anything come out of my barrel that didn't look like normal black residue. And with a light after a few swipes it looks mirror again with hardly a spot in the thing.

ETA:maybe your friends were using the wrong thing. I am pretty sure the Hoppes I am using is especially for corrosive ammo, someone help me out here and correct me if I am wrong.

Re-edit. You say they were only using solvent. And I must be doing something right....it would be following up the solvent with a rust preventative, or oil/water repellant. I have been reading about people using only hoppes solvent and getting rust without using some oil for a final coat.

Edited by beefcakeb0

How would you notice rust spots in the barrel? I have never seen anything come out of my barrel that didn't look like normal black residue.

Actually, my M44 barrel had rust all over the inside. Picture this. Shoting a ton of corrosive x54 back in 1997, never knowing that there is such a thing as corrosive ammo. Then sticking the rifle in a garage, then a safe only to take it out in 2009. there was rust all over the inside. When I ran a brush through it brown dust came out. Cleaned it as best as I could, took it to the range and it still hit a PC hard drive @ 100 yards!! I was so ashamed of how I treated my very first rifle I traded it because I couldnt stand to look it in the eye :cryss::wet_eyes::cry:

Now that makes sense. Long term neglect. I remember using hoppes and not lube on a m44 also. Back when I was a teenager. Come back to check it a few weeks later. And there is surface rust everywhere. "Derp" must use oil after solvent :osama: