48 members have voted

1. 1. which saiga?

personally, if im going to get a shotgun, there is no question. it will be 12 gauge... unless i could get 10 gauge!!

anyway, 12 gauge recoil isnt that bad with 7 1/2 shotshells.

Who needs a 10 gauge if you can run 7 1/2 inch shells? Oh, never mind. I gotcha.

Just curious about "better reliability than the 223". I've heard that a few other times on the forum and am puzzled. I can only go by my own 223 of course, but have right at 500 rounds through it with zero FTF/FTEs. It has performed flawlessly and has never been cleaned other than a wipedown and oiling during conversion. 380 rounds of PMC55 grain, 60 each of Hornady Tap 60/75. Factory mag and 2 Surefire 30's. My guns have to prove themselves issue free before I'll consider them for personal protection and I believe this one has. Am I wrong?

No. It is true that the 5.45 and 7.62x39 have greater inherent reliability than .223, but that does not mean that .223 cannot be very reliable indeed. By "greater inherent reliability", I'm referring to the more tapered cartridge design, which aids in feeding and extraction, and the thicker rim at the rear, which aids in extraction.

There is a thread over at Warrior Talk where Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics says that .223 AKs need a bit more upkeep to be completely reliable. Namely, the chamber should be cleaned to avoid extraction issues.

Jim

I appreciate that. Now that my "trial by neglect" is over I plan on keeping it fairly clean. Maybe not AR clean though.

Along the same lines, I think, is brass vs steel. I know we can run steel without problems but never intend to. Besides keeping brass for when I start reloading, I''m under the impression that steel would have to be harder on the chamber and extractor. My logic is that steel is harder and thus will cause more wear on the gun than brass. Wrong thinking again?

Along the same lines, I think, is brass vs steel. I know we can run steel without problems but never intend to. Besides keeping brass for when I start reloading, I''m under the impression that steel would have to be harder on the chamber and extractor. My logic is that steel is harder and thus will cause more wear on the gun than brass. Wrong thinking again?

I wouldn't worry about it. However, since the steel cased .223 ammo has poor terminal performance - that is, it is only good for target practice - and doesn't cost that much less than XM193 at AimSurplus, I intend to buy only XM193 for now on for my S223.

Edited by Jim Digriz

So it looks like between the x39s. Hmm. If u want pics of her beefcake u can see her in person this weekend I have to go down to bluff city and she will be with me.

Awesome, too bad I don't head to Bluff City often, If she wanted to try out a 5.45 and I have time friday or sat. before work I will let either or both of you try it out. PM me if you know somewhere out there to do it, I only know of farmland in Blountville and the public range on the way to Mountain City.

My girl likes my S12, but loves my XD45 and my PLR16. One other route you might want to look into would be a KelTec SU-16. I'm getting one for mine this summer. She finally got to handle one in person, and she likes the feel/weight. Melinda's 5'4"... you said your GF was 5'1"?... and while recoil wasn't the issue, weight was. It has an AK style gas piston, accepts AR mags, stocks, and muzzle attachments to boot!

Just an idea, especially if you already have an AR. Common ammo, common mags... you see what I'm getting at.

Good luck.

Who needs a 10 gauge if you can run 7 1/2 inch shells? Oh, never mind. I gotcha.

haha, 7 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells!! i can only imagine how much recoil those would pack. it would be cool to see one of those packed with 00 buckshot hitting a target, preferably an old tv, or a watermelon

lol

haha, 7 1/2 inch 12 gauge shells!! i can only imagine how much recoil those would pack. it would be cool to see one of those packed with 00 buckshot hitting a target, preferably an old tv, or a watermelon

lol

Seriously though, I started to buy a 10 gauge years ago and was told it was pointless. They're going the way of the sweet 16 and since there aren't many varieties of shells for them the 12 is cheaper and pretty much matches the performance.

Trying to stay on topic, why was the S22 included since she already has a tricked 10/22? Kinda pointless there too. Are these even available yet? If so, maybe I should get one to compliment my tacticool 10/22.

The AK22 was included just to get her one that looks like the rest of my guns which is what she wants. My local store is taking orders for them already

My wife would kill me if I bought another gun. She says I'm compulsive in that regard. What a crock! Hmm... how much are they?

169.00 so that's not bad for a plinker

Thanks. Not that I intend to buy it, of course. I just want to look at one and see if you could rig a larger capacity mag for it. 10 is a bit low for a 22.

169.00 so that's not bad for a plinker

Thanks. Not that I intend to buy it, of course. I just want to look at one and see if you could rig a larger capacity mag for it. 10 is a bit low for a 22.

I think most intend to buy it to rape the furniture.

• 2 weeks later...