Will steel cased ammo wear out the extractor?

When looking for info on the longevity of Saiga 7.62x39 (Arsenal SGL-21), I was under the impression that it's hard to find spare bolt parts for the 7.62x39 caliber... This keeps me wondering that if steel cartridge case will cause any accelerated wear on the extractor.

Therefore, I'd like to ask current users if they have seen any noticeable wear after shooting thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo.

Also, what's your opinion of the Brown Bear vs Golden Bear? It seems that they both have steel cases, and Brown Bear have polymer coating while Golden Bear have brass coating. Any difference in performance and longevity shooting each type? Will the extractor scratch off coating from either ammo?

I'm totally new to AK type rifles and I'm trying to order the first batch of ammo for my new weapon (which is still in mail). Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

When looking for info on the longevity of Saiga 7.62x39 (Arsenal SGL-21), I was under the impression that it's hard to find spare bolt parts for the 7.62x39 caliber... This keeps me wondering that if steel cartridge case will cause any accelerated wear on the extractor.

These weapons were designed to fire steel cased ammo. I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you want to be extra cautious, you can pick up a spare bolt from K-Var.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17642&cat=330&page=2

Edited by Jim Digriz

These weapons were designed to fire steel cased ammo. I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you want to be extra cautious, you can pick up a spare bolt from K-Var.

http://www.k-var.com...&cat=330&page=2

So this will work in Arsenal SGL-21 also, I believe SGL-21 is essential a Saiga.

Thanks.

I think Saiga bolts and carriers have the matching numbers stamped on them so I will probably avoid using spare bolts as a whole, but I'd imagine myself taking extractors/springs/pins off the new bolt and install them onto my factory bolt, if failure ever occurs.

Edited by Tofu San

I think Saiga bolts and carriers have the matching numbers stamped on them so I will probably avoid using spare bolts as a whole, but I'd imagine myself taking extractors/springs/pins off the new bolt and install them onto my factory bolt, if failure ever occurs.

Yes, this is possible. You could also have a gunsmith check headspace before using the spare bolt.

I have K-Var spares for 5.45 and .223. Both are unnumbered, brand new, and otherwise identical to the bolts in my SGL/Saigas.

yep no problem with steel case ammo in AK's and if your worried dont buy a bolt... just buy an extra extractor http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16630&cat=0&page=1 lol cheap and easy

Sorry for the -1 Battosaii. It was purely accidental. I think buying an extra extractor is a great idea.

The Saiga bolt may not be compatible with this extractor. Would ask K-Var before purchasing.

yep no problem with steel case ammo in AK's and if your worried dont buy a bolt... just buy an extra extractor http://www.k-var.com...30&cat=0&page=1 lol cheap and easy

Sorry for the -1 Battosaii. It was purely accidental. I think buying an extra extractor is a great idea.

The Saiga bolt may not be compatible with this extractor. Would ask K-Var before purchasing.

"including all Saiga 7.62 and Arsenal's SGL20 and SGL21 series rifles."

Directly from the description on the website, (linked in quote).

yep no problem with steel case ammo in AK's and if your worried dont buy a bolt... just buy an extra extractor http://www.k-var.com...30&cat=0&page=1 lol cheap and easy

"including all Saiga 7.62 and Arsenal's SGL20 and SGL21 series rifles."

Directly from the description on the website, (linked in quote).

Oops! ;-)

Thanks.