Gas block alignment when re-installing

I searched archives but didn't find the answer or at least I didn't see it anywhere. I must have gotten in a hurry when removing gas block because I lost my witness mark ( I guess I didn't scribe deep enough) when re-installing after drilling ports and polishing. I think I have it aligned - got the bottom pin re-installed but had to wrap it pretty sharply with hammer and finish with drive pin punch. Is this normal? Is it possible to drive the pins in and not be aligned with the barrel pin slots? Don't want to mess this up - I'm ready to be done with the work and go shoot!

Thanks

Yes - seems to be straight, ports drilled to .093 and all visible/uncovered now. Gas block polished, opening slightly enlarged. Got it back together. How about polishing burrs out of barrel where ports were enlarged? Best way? Thanks for the help

You can also shine a flashlight through the pin holes to see where the alignment is and adjust from there. When it's a straight shot, nail the pins in.

+1

Yep, that's what I did.

You eyeball it to get it close and then look through the pin holes with the flashlight and use light taps with a rubber mallet to get 'er lined up like the factory had it.

You can also shine a flashlight through the pin holes to see where the alignment is and adjust from there. When it's a straight shot, nail the pins in.

+1

Yep, that's what I did.

You eyeball it to get it close and then look through the pin holes with the flashlight and use light taps with a rubber mallet to get 'er lined up like the factory had it.

:smoke:

That's the only way to get it 100% lined up before you drive the pin in. Scribing only gets you close.

It's not always right the way the factory had it, so I just put a dual dimple in the back, right at the barrel and GB and on the casting line...and put a light scribe on the back edge with a razor knife, and note whether or not it's canted from the factory, before taking it off.

Going back on, just get it as close as you can to 12:00 (no cant), with the pin holes lined up, and the gas tube good and tight. If you do the hole in the gas block correctly and the ports correctly, that should be good. It's actually not even hard to readjust the way it's clocked on the barrel, even after the pins are installed. There's a slight bit of room for movement.

• 3 years later...

i actually used weavers magnetic scope levels to help with the gas block cant. finding flat planes on receiver and gas block. used a mallet and punch to to work it in. and used a light to find gas ports as others mentioned.

i was worried about burrs in the barrel as well. didnt really see any so i just ran a bore snake though it just encase.

• Like 1