Saiga Conversion Suggestion

This isn't really a "HOW" type question, so i thought this would be a better part of the forum for my question. I have a Saiga .223 which I've "changed" basically everything except the FCG. And I like it the way it is. It's got a new quad rail on the forearm; T-6 stock and pistol grip; decent reflex sight and laser and vertical foregrip. And the only real physical change, was adapting it to work with an AR15/Saiga adapter, so I can shoot AR15 magazines in it. (Or original Saiga Magazines). And for me, it's the way i like it.

Thing is; I have 2 friends that are "somewhat" interested in it. They are familiar with the name saiga, and trust it. They love the fact that it can use AR15 magazines or Saiga/Surefire/Promag magazines. Both are however dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to mechanical capabilities. Both have traditional AK's. They like my Saiga exactly the way it is, but we all agree that "For Them" the FCG should be moved up. This way it shoots exactly like their traditional AK47 7.62x39 rifles.

So, my question(s) are, I know the price of the FCG from dinzag range from $40-$60. (I'll have to do some research on which is which, and why). Do you think it is worth moving the FCG forward, for one of these 2 guys, (Who I am not totally sure will buy the rifle anyway), or leave it the way it is. I figure that with the new FCG and possibly a new pistol grip, it will cost about $75-$100 to do this. Not sure if i need a new trigger guard.

Anyway; any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks. mike....

I wouldn't move the trigger unless they are comitted to buy, unless you want to do it for yourself, which you say you are not interested in. For me, I would have already restored it. The problem is that it is hard to recover your costs. Not many folks appreciate the restoration and the costs involved.

So, unless you want to do it for yourself, whether you sell or not, I would not sink the extra cash into it. My opinion.

And I like it the way it is. It's got a new quad rail on the forearm; T-6 stock and pistol grip; decent reflex sight and laser and vertical foregrip. And the only real physical change, was adapting it to work with an AR15/Saiga adapter, so I can shoot AR15 magazines in it. (Or original Saiga Magazines). And for me, it's the way i like it.

So, my question(s) are, I know the price of the FCG from dinzag range from $40-$60. (I'll have to do some research on which is which, and why). Do you think it is worth moving the FCG forward, for one of these 2 guys, (Who I am not totally sure will buy the rifle anyway), or leave it the way it is. I figure that with the new FCG and possibly a new pistol grip, it will cost about $75-$100 to do this. Not sure if i need a new trigger guard.

Anyway; any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks. mike....

You need to make it 922r compliant. With adding the Stock and pistol grip it isn't enough you need to add more US parts the mag adapter doesn't count. By adding the FCG as well as US handguard, gas piston, that should bring you up to speed.

Not sure if i need a new trigger guard

You do not need a new trigger guard you can use the orginal, by just bolting it and the other end is secured under the mag relase housing... if you want to get into it, you can cut then weld it to the mag release housing and it will look like an orginal AK trigger guard.

There are plenty of how to's on doing the conversion.. but the one on Stus Off road covers everthig. (I know you know this)

My opinion is regardles if you sell it or not do the FCG conversion. It looks right as far as it being an AK.. Not to mention for maniuplation of the safety is easier.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

RLTW: I am so beyond 922R. I couldn't screw that up if I tried. But for what it's worth; while a mag adapter "ITSELF" doesn't count as 922R part; it's pretty much impossible to use the adapter, unless you put a MAGAZINE IN IT!!! Ya think??? So; assuming they are American made magazines, it DOES count for another 3 parts. But 922R is not something I worry about. Just curious about moving the trigger. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it or not. I personally like it the way it is. That's why I bought it. If I do keep the gun, I WON'T be moving the trigger. I specifically bought the saiga because the trigger assembly was further back. DON'T ASK. I'd rather not go through explaining it again. Suffice it to say, not everyone like's the ergonomics of an AK47. But I do have some people interested in the rifle. We talked about the trigger. The one wouldn't know the difference. The other has a 7.62AK, so he would. Anyway; I'll only do it if I can recoup the money.

And no Gocasen; I don't need to be spending $160-$260 for a conversion. I simply want to possibly move the trigger FCG. Price with crook or plate, around $40-$45. Like I mentioned initially, I've changed out so much on this rifle; 922R isn't even an issue.

I would not change it unless you have cash in hand...then if you do move it the fcg will move up and you may end up putting the t-6 setup that is made for converted rifles on it. I would let them shhot it and sell as is for best results.