"You do realize that they don't make them anymore for a very good reason?"

...............They were notorious for turning over on you in a hard (or not so hard) turn !! Cut that front wheel a little too hard, and over you went !!

I explain that one a lot to the Honda trike riders when I pull up on this....................

post-3950-0-75633000-1302139846_thumb.jpg

I had 2 Big Reds till I sold them to move to Ohio and then down to here. They would run forever on a tank of gas. Great in the desrt and ok in the Ohio woods. As for the roll over thing. They were all but banned because DUMB ASSES!!!! let their 8yr olds hot rod them in dunes with a shit load of other vehicles around. Without helmets or any other safety gear. I rolled mine once and that was because I was the dumb ass racing down a canal road and trying to bunny hop a small ditch.

"Chicks dig scars"

You do realize that they don't make them anymore for a very good reason?

HUZZAH!!

Yes, the reason being some people find the concepts of paying attention to the mannerisms of the machine you are in control of, and adapting you driving to it just to complicated to master. I was 7 years of age when my family first got a Big Red, I managed to ride thousands of miles right up through my teenage years with never so much as a scratch or sprain, amazing how far a little common sense will get ya.

• Like 2

They banned them because parents thought they were safer then dirtbikes, makes sense though, but doesn't work that way. Little kids got em and were cocky with them, yea sure you can turn hard going 50, it had three wheels right?

And I'm not plannin on hot rodding around with it, just so I don't have to carry theboar 15 miles. Hahaha.

"You do realize that they don't make them anymore for a very good reason?"

...............They were notorious for turning over on you in a hard (or not so hard) turn !! Cut that front wheel a little too hard, and over you went !!

I explain that one a lot to the Honda trike riders when I pull up on this....................

Inherently dangerous is what they were. Cut a hard left and they would throw you to the right (and vice versa) and then slam down on top of you. Bikes and four wheelers are dangerous enough but don't tend to add injury to insult nearly as much. As you said, turning over on you.

in our group we used to have a 250 called "The Bull" it threw everyone who rode it and it wasn`t a turn that broke my nose it was 3 little whoops spaced just right , my buddies rode up to find it sitting upright ,pointed straight down the trail and idling with me next to it in a two hands and a full face plant trying to breath and blood running down my face with my glasses crushed tight to my face :beaten:

Now a days i hunt with a Rokon 2 X 2 it goes places no quad or three wheeler will fit ,it is very quiet ,very fuel efficient and will out carry, out pull ,out climb and cross places that would stick a 3 or 4 wheeler . Yes it only has a 3 speed ,stop and change gear transmission and tops out at 30 MPH but it can carry 1000 lbs, pull 3000 lbs and climb right over a 48" log without putting a foot down all with a measly little 6.5 Hp Kohler motor for power !!! It is the only vehicle to cross the Darren gap in Panama and a full tank and both rims filled with fuel it will travel 500 miles , can you do that with a quad or three wheeler !!! or lay it on it`s left side to float it across a river !!! I think Not !! first built in 1960 and they still make parts for ones that old , only the engines have changed over the years and about any horizontal shaft 5-6 Hp motor will work on it in a pinch . expensive Yes but incredible durable only a belt , #40 chain and sprockets to wear out , easy field fix ,can you do that with a quad or 3 wheeler !! :bad_smile:

It is also used by several military units around the world !!

And yes i do own a quad grizzly 660 for fun fast riding .

Edited by belt fed frog

A three wheeler is inherently unstable. Yes, that can be controlled by a competant

rider, but a 2 wheeled bike is actually more stable than a 3 at speed.

A 3 wheeler is lighter, and often faster, and can handle the rough terrain (that it CAN

handle), faster than a 4 wheeler. You can wheelie logs, and lean more into turns.

However, they're all 2WD, and where a 2WD 3 or 4 wheeler will get you 80% of everywhere,

a 4x4 4 wheeler will get you 95% of everywhere. The trick is to find a 4x4 4 wheeler with

good power that isn't as big as a VW bug. 4 wheelers are either "ATVs" (approaching Hummer size)

or "Quads" (racers, like dirt bikes with 4 wheels), and the sensible ones that were halfway in between

are gone.

A three wheeler is inherently unstable. Yes, that can be controlled by a competant

rider, but a 2 wheeled bike is actually more stable than a 3 at speed.

A 3 wheeler is lighter, and often faster, and can handle the rough terrain (that it CAN

handle), faster than a 4 wheeler. You can wheelie logs, and lean more into turns.

However, they're all 2WD, and where a 2WD 3 or 4 wheeler will get you 80% of everywhere,

a 4x4 4 wheeler will get you 95% of everywhere. The trick is to find a 4x4 4 wheeler with

good power that isn't as big as a VW bug. 4 wheelers are either "ATVs" (approaching Hummer size)

or "Quads" (racers, like dirt bikes with 4 wheels), and the sensible ones that were halfway in between

are gone.

I'd have to disagree that "the sensible ones that were halfway in between

are gone."

Pictured is my 500 Honda Foreman. It is 2wd, which is fine for my uses, but these come in 4wd too. Can't stand the 3 wheelers, never liked them.

gallery_14946_258_426467.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago I was considering buying a Honda "Big Red", fortunately, a hunting companion had one and suggested I give it a try. The first thing I did was let my left foot get too close to the ground and ran the rear tire halfway up my leg. The worst part was coming down a mountain trail, not going fast, trail made a left turn and when I turned the handlebars I must have touched the throttle because the damn thing simply rolled over and landed on top of me. Needless to say I slowly returned to the camp and bought a Honda Trail 110, which I still have. My trail and hunting vehicle now is a Suzuki 500, 4wd which has been a great machine. Stay away from the three wheelers, they really are dangerous. For a long time a Honda dealer in WV had crated three wheelers he couldn't sell reportedly because of some government safety ban.

I've got 2 Honda ATC 90's built in 1970, both in Lime Green, with the big balloon tires, and they are a BLAST! They are only dangerous if you get really stupid on them. The first time I tried to turn, I just used the handlebars and let one leg drag - well the tire climbed up my leg and threw me off like a rag doll. That was the only time I ever had an incident. Once you learn to throw your body into the turns, you can have an absolute blast with these machines. I bought them cheap at farmers auctions because the farmers were retiring. Kids used to use them all the time during irrigation. $400 compared to several thousand for a new 4 wheeler. Honda still sells replacement parts for them, and there is even collector forums on the web. They flat out are cool., and they quick dissasemble to fit in the trunk of your car! lol. (seat comes off, handlebars turn with a quick release, etc) Coolest things ever built!