Ppl with scopes please chime in

I'm off to a goofy start with my 1st scope'd-AK

I don't quite know what to expect as far as accuracy goes

So today I took my Ver21 out for some shooting.

I started off with iron sights @ 25yds (shot 3Rnds), and they were so close together (1.5 holes right in the bulleye) that I didnt even shot Irons anymore.

Then I started with the scope (I never shot with a scope on an AK before).

I slowly worked my way on target (Sometime the bullets would group real tight and then I'd a a winger or two). It felt like things were taking more time than usual. There were fast winds with up to 30mph gust, I didnt have the best bench rest set-up either, plus its a new rifle with a new trigger feel (bottom line I felt like the rifle could shoot better than was today). After I opened my 2nd 20-rnd box, I shot two shots and the damn scope mount stripped out!

Luckily I had a spare mount (A quick release type Leapers UTG). Its a cheapie but atleast its one solid piece of aluminum.

I got it sighted in & was hitting better, but still had the wing'ers in there.

After I finished I noticed I could move the mount (not do to it being loosly mounted, but there was simply a little flex in teh side-mount set-up.

Bottom line fellas.... I have NO IDEA what to expect from a side scope mount set-up ...what is good quality and what isnt???

I see the Russian Scope & Rail combo look a little more beefy on the side-scope-mounts.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to set-up a quality side-mount scope? What do I need to get?

Thanks in advance!

~Stephen

I have a standard russian steel quick release scope mount for mine, and while heavy, it is nice and solid.

As for what you need, you need only the scope mount, and the scope+rings+mounting tools.

The mount doesn't require any tools to lock into place, it slips on and has a tightening lever. (At least the russian quick-release one does) YMMV with other mounts.

Just mount the scope to the rail, and you're set. Be sure to tighten everything down sufficiently though, as a .308 has enough recoil to it to knock a poorly fastened scope off its zero.

You're probably going to get some flex no matter what with a side mount if you are looking for it and pressing hard enough.

The side mount rail on an AK is held on with rivets. Two of the three rivets are just riveted into the receiver, which is made out of sheet metal 1mm thick. To demonstrate the flex that the metal has, take off your dust cover and squeeze it tightly. It flexes, but it springs back into shape. I don't think that it really hurts anything. Some of the Russian steel scope mounts are more rigid than the UTG aluminum, but that doesn't stop the receiver/rivets/rail from moving when you push on it (which is probably the bigger factor). I bet if you had tried it with your other mount you'd get the same flex. Plenty of people have had good results scoping their AK with the UTG mount. Who cares if it flexes a little as long as it is tight and returns to the same spot? I ended up going with a beryl rail, but my groups aren't substantially better than YHWIC's even with the bullets I handload for my rifle. My best 4 shot group at 100 yards was .87" with handloads, his was 1.25" with commercial ammo. My beryl rail cost $170, and he used the $35 UTG mount.

All the quick release side mounts that I've seen have some kind of nut that tightens the locking lever. Put the mount on the gun and close the lever. If it's too tight to close, loosen the nut on the bottom. If the lever isn't tight enough, tighten the nut on the bottom until it is. Then undo the lever and turn the nut a little more until the lever locks fairly snugly. Don't go overboard or you'll strip out the nut.

What do you mean your first mount "stripped out"? Did the nut strip out?

Also - 30mph wind will seriously affect your accuracy. At 100 yards with a 150 grain bullet your point of impact will shift about 4 inches from your point of aim. If it's gusting, that will significantly increase your groups.

This thread discusses the UTG mount: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/65268-utg-scope-mount-for-s308-good-enough/