Do you trust your S-12

Would you trust your S-12 as a HD gun?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trust it with your life?

Assuming that you are past the break-in (at least 500 rds.) and have fixed any factory mistakes, would you trust your S-12 as your primary HD gun. This is not about what gun you use as a HD gun only a question about would you trust it with your life. I understand the pros and cons of a long gun as a HD gun, so lets not make it about that, only about your confidence in the reliability of your S-12. If you were to grab it rite now and load a factory mag or MD20 would you be willing to bet your life that it would be able to defend your family?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you shouldn't trust low brass with your life out of any gun.... unless you are defending yourself against birds dont use birdshot

I won't use mine for HD because it's in the safe when it's not on the range, but I have put so many rounds down the pipe that I'm 100% sure it will work when I need it to. For a Katrina type shelter

I'm not sure I trust my S-12. It seems a little shady to me. I could swear that it's stealing money out of my wallet all the time. It sure is a sneaky bastard.

Hell yeah. Mine isn't even finicky with low brass. It's a 4 port, polished, broken in... good to go.

I'd for sure trust it with a drum full of buckshot. I'd be more concerned with the quality of the ammo that is loaded up than the firearm itself.

The only reason to not trust a s12 is if you haven't worked with it enough.

Some people will say that you shouldn't buy a firearm that isn't 100% from the factory, but the fact of the matter is that nothing is 100% perfect 100% of the time. That does not mean that it cannot be made to be the next best thing to perfect. Don't settle for anything less. These guns are great for tinkering, so tinker until it is perfect.

• Like 1

When I first entered the scene? Hell no.

Now that I know how to build & tune them right, I'd trust it to go boom more than any pump or semi out there.

These are twice the gun as the AA-12

You must remember, there's little crap that can go wrong with pumps too.

There's many law enforcement officers here who run many of our S-12's from here as well as military contractors who bet their lives on them every day.

Some of my work is in Iraq as I type this.

Same with many other's work that comes from here.

Many private contractors favor the platform for a shotgun.

However, these guys didn't take the quick & easy ways out.

They did it, or had it done right the first time.

They know what it takes & don't want to rush out some POS, because they're playing for keeps.

• Like 2

Ehh kinda. I still have my doubts. So i just have my gas setting set wide open with 00 buck in my agp 8 rounder. Just in case I didnt clean the gas system correctly or for some reason the oil has dried up. So for now i just have it way overgassed untill im more confident with it. But ( dont laugh) I have my trusty Hi-point 995ts with flashlight and reflex sight just in case. That thing is built like a tracter and goes and goes forever in between cleanings.

Some of my work is in Iraq as I type this.

OT, but I would love to know more about this...

ETA: Yes my s12 runs perfect and I would prefer to feel that action cycle then pump my other shotgun.

Edited by beefcakeb0

100%. I built her, I know her, and she has never hiccuped even with low brass and a complete absence of lube. (I cleaned it with brakeparts cleaner and never re-oiled it before I ran it.)

That being said, my HD first gun is my XD45, followed by the S12, and then the PLR16... smaller guns work better for CQB with a lower risk of plugging a neighbor through the wall. If I need to break out anything else, it's the Zombie Apocalypse, not home defense. :lolol::killer:

This is not about what gun you use as a HD gun only a question about would you trust it with your life.

Yes, I trust it with my life. I will not elaborate on my other home defense weaponry and which I would use first. :lolol:

I won't use mine for HD because it's in the safe when it's not on the range, but I have put so many rounds down the pipe that I'm 100% sure it will work when I need it to.

For a Katrina type shelter in place situation I'd definitely have it available and wouldn't hesitate to use it or let a friend use it. Personally I'll be armed with an AKS74 or AKSU though.

Z

• Like 3

I agree about not owning a gun you can't depend on. I don't need 100% from the factory, and I don't believe in 100% because Murphy's law comes in and everything breaks eventually. I prefer 98%, that way I can verify my malfunction drills, because trying to teach yourself to quickly clear a malfunction in the middle of the night is the wrong time. That's also why it's best to have a secondary weapon. Anyway, my saiga is in the safe now, as I'm working out the low brass kinks, but she's dead nuts reliable with 3" 00 buck.

Edited by spenceman

I'd even trust a straight out of the box one. Because once you learn and practice how to load mags and clear jams fast your confidence level with the weapon improves dramatically. Plus I don't recall anybody having any trouble with one firing buckshot or slugs with one.

With anything mildly warm, or 3" mag, of course.

Aftermarket magazines, besides the MD20? No.

When it comes to ammo, if in question 4dram will always work lol.

Edited by Tombs

I would absolutly trust mine. it has run flawlessly with all kinds of ammo and magazines and has never gave me a problem.that being said i use a mossberg 500 roadblocker for hd because its smaller and easer to move around the house.But if the shit hits the fan my s12 will be the first out of the safe :killer:

I trust mine. Had it out yesterday, and the last problem it had, rounds snagging on the extractor slot, has been fixed. She ran like a sewing machine with every thing from Wal-Mart Federal bulk bird shot, to Remington slugs and buck shot. Even the Pro-Mag 12rd drum impressed me.

That being said, my primary HD weapon is my AR-15 with 75gr TAP. I know this weapon system far better and am far more comfortable in its use, although I wouldn't feel sorry for my self if my S12 was the only thing I had at the time some kind of trouble started.