Do you trust your S-12

Would you trust your S-12 as a HD gun?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trust it with your life?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you shouldn't trust low brass with your life out of any gun.... unless you are defending yourself against birds dont use birdshot

I won't use mine for HD because it's in the safe when it's not on the range, but I have put so many rounds down the pipe that I'm 100% sure it will work when I need it to. For a Katrina type shelter

I'm not sure I trust my S-12. It seems a little shady to me. I could swear that it's stealing money out of my wallet all the time. It sure is a sneaky bastard.

Did you ever worry about the main spring of hammer or the long spring on the top getting weaker over time due to the stress?

Granted if I don't hold the bolt open, I probably can't insert a mag in time, especially with the factory LRBHO lever in the way. What a pitty for IZH-109BHO.

Springs are not stressed by compression, they are stressed by cycling. At least that is how it is supposed to work.

Anyway, I suppose we should be fine as long as we can buy replacement main springs and stuff.

But will keeping the bolt open cause any safety concern? Maybe I should put a sandbag where the muzzle is facing.

Did you ever worry about the main spring of hammer or the long spring on the top getting weaker over time due to the stress?

Granted if I don't hold the bolt open, I probably can't insert a mag in time, especially with the factory LRBHO lever in the way. What a pitty for IZH-109BHO.

Springs are not stressed by compression, they are stressed by cycling. At least that is how it is supposed to work.

Anyway, I suppose we should be fine as long as we can buy replacement main springs and stuff.

But will keeping the bolt open cause any safety concern? Maybe I should put a sandbag where the muzzle is facing.

What could be safer than having the bolt held open with no round yet in the chamber?

What could be safer than having the bolt held open with no round yet in the chamber?

I do have to have to insert the mag.

Due to the damn factory LRBHO, the top shell consistently get caught by the lever causing the shell to tip up, failing to feed. Even worse, if the bolt then strike that shell, the shell will be damaged and useless.

I know I can position the top shell 1/8 inch forward, but over time the shell will slide back. Very annoying.

So I will have to keep the mag inserted and bolt open.

i absolutely trust my S12 with my life. this is the very first gun i ever had and fired, although acquisition was followed very closely with getting a Marlin papoose .22 LR and just recently, an XD45 compact. after having the S12 as a first gun, the other two seemed like child's play. their recoil... well, what recoil i say. plus the S12 made me (a complete NOOB) look good and feel confident in the range even the first time out. I was knocking down 5cm targets from 25 to 35 yards with slugs (gas setting 1) and double O buck (gas setting 2). peppering torso-sized paper targets with #4 buck as well as #7 and #8 birdshot at setting 2. My initial FTE's were from using buck and birdshot on setting 1. at setting 2, my S12 ate all my crappy ammo. i just couldn't ask for more. i am now more accurate with the marlin .22 LR but would not be my first choice for defensive weapon. the XD45, well it just serves as my back-up gun to the S12.

Edited by glennhmd

I have yet to mod mine, and it stovepipes low brass loads.

Would it go bang with buckshot? Sure.

I brought a different shotgun with me for defense while in Mississippi.

m4s90.jpg

That one is not mine, but mine looks very similar.

What is that shaft thing under the barrel is it a flashlight holder? and is that a paper magazine? WOW pretty cool, hey just kidding around nice looking Shotgun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Without hesitation.

This.

I've pretty much eliminated any / all factory issues with my S12. It along with 20 round MD Arms drum loaded with Winchester PDX1 load is my primary "riot" HD gun with my IAC AK74 & Sig 226 as my backups.

Better not be caught busting into tbizzle's house huh

yes because i know ive putand can put every kind of ammo through it and it takes it with a smile, and has never had any problems. i mean everything from target loads to 00 buck to birdshot, low brass and high brass and EVERYTHING goes boom EVERYTIME. it will trust it until it fail me

Well Im still in the troubleshooting phase but hell, once its working right...... Its lighter than my Benelli M4, has a much larger ammo capacity, and aiming is virtually not essential to hitting a target within 7 yards..... Ill grab it before I grab my HK.45

Edited by AFobia
  • Like 1

Absolutely! Both my Saiga-12s would blow, clean off, the head of any zombie or other living miscreants that should have the stupidity to attack.

Yuh just gotta pay attention to the gas plug position! Then it works fine!

• Like 1

I just took the LRBHO lever out of mine when I converted it. You only get one mag with it anyway so what good is it until more are available. I can still hold the bolt back for range safety using the button behind the mag catch and I no longer have to set my 1st rd forward in each mag.

I do have to have to insert the mag.

Due to the damn factory LRBHO, the top shell consistently get caught by the lever causing the shell to tip up, failing to feed. Even worse, if the bolt then strike that shell, the shell will be damaged and useless.

I know I can position the top shell 1/8 inch forward, but over time the shell will slide back. Very annoying.

So I will have to keep the mag inserted and bolt open.

With the one I just picked up? No way. I have no idea who did the conversion work, how big the ports are, and even if it functions correctly (haven't fired it yet). However once I get inside of it and correct any issues and re-evaluate it through firing, then yes at that point I would trust it with my life. These are phenomenal weapons and once their tuned there is no stopping them!

• Like 2

With the one I just picked up? No way. I have no idea who did the conversion work, how big the ports are, and even if it functions correctly (haven't fired it yet). However once I get inside of it and correct any issues and re-evaluate it through firing, then yes at that point I would trust it with my life. These are phenomenal weapons and once their tuned there is no stopping them!

i totally agree, once you have it properly fixed up their wont be any issues, i have did not clean my gas tube for 2500 rounds once before it started making FTE's. Some people on here take them hog hunting, and sometimes hog hunts can be dangerous, so those people trust their guns with their lives.

• Like 1