Do you trust your S-12

Would you trust your S-12 as a HD gun?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trust it with your life?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you shouldn't trust low brass with your life out of any gun.... unless you are defending yourself against birds dont use birdshot

I won't use mine for HD because it's in the safe when it's not on the range, but I have put so many rounds down the pipe that I'm 100% sure it will work when I need it to. For a Katrina type shelter

I'm not sure I trust my S-12. It seems a little shady to me. I could swear that it's stealing money out of my wallet all the time. It sure is a sneaky bastard.

My 12 has been great. I have had it for a while now. It works great in brush, I prefer it to the 223 out to about 75 yards. That is on thickly wooded hillsides anyway. Though mine has been sitting in the safe for a while. A recent incident with a coyote at 50 yds. with my Sig 556 has gotten the ol' Saiga out of the safe. If I would've had the Saiga I wouldn't still be hunting this one.

I have had nothing but good luck from mine, but I use mostly 3" buck. I joined the forum so that I can do a little more research and do some mods to run low brass loads. The 12 may be my new go-to gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I trust my S12 with Slugs and 00 Buck. I do not trust it with low brass yet.

you shouldn't trust low brass with your life out of any gun.... unless you are defending yourself against birds dont use birdshot :chicken:

I have to disagree with this statement. Birdshot at close range is a VERY lethal round, and doesn't overpenetrate nearly as much as buckshot or slugs.

Gunblast did a comparison that was simple, but effective. Three layers of denin( I think) wrapping a rack of ribs and a pork shoulder. Look it up on Youtube. Anyway, I've seen what birdshot does up close..do NOT want to be hit with it!

I trust my S12 with Slugs and 00 Buck. I do not trust it with low brass yet.

you shouldn't trust low brass with your life out of any gun.... unless you are defending yourself against birds dont use birdshot :chicken:

I have to disagree with this statement. Birdshot at close range is a VERY lethal round, and doesn't overpenetrate nearly as much as buckshot or slugs.

Gunblast did a comparison that was simple, but effective. Three layers of denin( I think) wrapping a rack of ribs and a pork shoulder. Look it up on Youtube. Anyway, I've seen what birdshot does up close..do NOT want to be hit with it!

100%!! I built mine, I know it inside and out. I know what it will and will not run, and that is nothing...it eats whatever you feed it. Yes, it has a little weight, but then, I do too. I have no issues running it without a danger involved, and with adrenaline involved, weight is even less of an issue!!

Until my S-12, I used to believe the only reliable shotty besides a single or double barrel was a pump. Now, my Saiga is my go to for ANYTHING that goes bump in the night!!

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I would trust my life with my S-12 but I keep my 870 Police Magnum close by for HD and the S12 in the safe. I don't want either of them confiscated but if it has to happen (after I step over the dead guy) I'd rather hand over my $300 Remington 870 to the cops than my $1,800 S-12 KS-K.

I try to keep a roll of masking tape and a sharpie in the stuff I take to the range. It's good for marking off targets.

It is also good for labeling a magazine if you have a feeding issue.

I trust mine for HD, obviously, but there were a couple of magazines that were getting sloppy and would occasionally cause issues. I marked those and fixed them. After range testing for reliablity, they can go back into HD service.

Oddly, my izzy 5s have had shells stick or sort of delay popping up a few times. They also sometimes can have the steel clip pop off of the top if dropped. For this reason, I trust my SGM magazines of any length, with 2 3/4" and <10 with 3" MD 20 is trusted with anything that fits, as is keep on shooting 5 rounder. I would probably trust a tested AGP, but I would keep an eye on the spring because of that bad batch. Promag does not inspire confidence with all the problems people have had, but I could come to trust an individual magazine after it was proven with many rounds.

Trust it yes, but as a slug gun for sub 100 yard urban clean up. I have a red dot and targeting is fast. Mine has never MALF on 3" shells or 2.75" with 1oz+ payloads. But it does with low weight / low power stuff. That said, I have not run 500 rounds through it yet. Still, I see these a battle weapon, not a skeet or dove gun, not that you couldn't.

My primary home defense is my Taurus Judge. I prefer the judge because they just don't get any more reliable than a wheel-gun. Bird shot means you aren't going through walls, and it's small enough to get anywhere. My first shot is .410 birdshot, my second is .410 000 buck, and rounds 3-5 are .45lc Hornady Critical Defense FTX to get accuracy if/when the bastards are fleeing.

I consider my Saiga12 to be my "neighborhood defense" weapon. I don't need 10-20 rounds for home defense. Taurus Judge for the win, but Saiga 12 for the WIN. It wasn't always so, though:

When I first got my Saiga, I almost cried because the thing would constantly fail to eject, stovepipe, and even damage the shell casings to the point they were downright hard to eject manually. So Then polished the rails, polished the bolt, and tried again. Better, but not there yet. figured out spring tension was too high and the brand new mags/drums were catching against internals. so, I filed some more, and set there manually cycling shells to break in the springs and rub off any wear spots, and it went from 100% failure to cycle on low brass to about 60% failure. Spent mad bucks on firing High velocity shells to break it in. After 300 rounds, it went down to 30% failure on low brass. Finally, concluding that it was indeed broken in, I decided I couldn't afford to waste my precious HV ammo reserves, so I broke down, bought a 3/32" drill bit, honed out one of the 3 gas ports, bought some Hoppes #9, gave it a thoughough cleaning and... Viola! 99.5% reliable, out of the next 200 rounds of Walmart cheapo Federal, only 1 failed to eject, and it was because I didn't have my shoulder firmly planted.

(I Can't say it's that reliable on Walmart cheapo Winchester, but I refuse to buy another brick after the issues I've heard and read about the cheap Win)

I trust my Saiga with my life... Now!

Edited by slippingaway
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine? Yes. I've been troubleshooting a lot of issues with mine though - pretty much all the common ones. Stuck bolt because the BHO spring slid off. Stuck bolt because my retaining plate bent and the pin walked out. Main spring falling off during firing. Recoil buffer causing FTE's (I removed it rather than replace the stock springs and went for a 6 position plug). I managed to snap a tap while threading the hole for my Rock'N'Lock (I should have known not to tap at like 4am post-conversion). At this point, it's a sewing machine. I know every part on it and I've notched and bent and adjusted stuff until it is perfect for me. I added weight to the back, swapped over to a VLTOR stock, put on cover guards for my rails and a grip I like, converted it myself and got one of those insert-swappable pistol grips that I've gotten lined up perfect with my hand.

And it's getting damn close to perfect. I've got some minor issues that are cosmetic which I'll eventually iron out. And it could use a paint job I guess. Maybe something to deal with that safety scratch. But as far as firing, it hums now.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend a Saiga to a novice shooter. Nor would I want to put my life in the hands of one I've never used before. Not to poo poo on the Saiga, because it's awesome, it just has a bunch of small annoying issues that you need to iron out with it before it becomes "AK-like" in reliability.

I wouldn't recommend a Saiga to a novice shooter. Nor would I want to put my life in the hands of one I've never used before. Not to poo poo on the Saiga, because it's awesome, it just has a bunch of small annoying issues that you need to iron out with it before it becomes "AK-like" in reliability.

That is my opinion as well. I now have a second S12 that is not converted but runs 100%, like my first one. I've never modified either of them beyond the trigger conversion on the first one. Just took my time breaking them in. I'm totally confident in both of them with 5rd mags.

• 3 weeks later...