Converting a 5.45 to .223, what's to it?

I did a search on the forum, nothing came up so I was wondering how feasible, hard, and expensive it would be? Change out the barrel and the magazine feed?

I want to get 5.45 but I'm preparing for the worst(ammo supplies deplete and or trade barrier). If that happened I wouldn't want it to be a useless wall hanger, so I thought to myself, hmm... what if I just converted it to .223 later down the road?

Has anyone thought of this or done it?

I did a search on the forum, nothing came up so I was wondering how feasible, hard, and expensive it would be? Change out the barrel and the magazine feed?

I want to get 5.45 but I'm preparing for the worst(ammo supplies deplete and or trade barrier). If that happened I wouldn't want it to be a useless wall hanger, so I thought to myself, hmm... what if I just converted it to .223 later down the road?

Sell the 545 and buy a 223

saaoag

By the time you re-chambered a 5.45 over to .223 you'd might as well have just gone out and paid about the same amount plus your time saved for a new one actually manufactured in .223 from Izhmash.

You can do what you want but personally if you are worried about ammo availability then just go out and buy a shit ton of 5.45 rounds. They aren't getting any cheaper and now's the time to buy. I'm getting another crate Sunday (hopefully) and if whatever happens does happen, then I got a bunch of ammo allot of people will pay top-price for if they expect to use their 74's.

Your better off just buying a 223. But what you'd need is a 223 barrel (or rechamber), bolt and bolt carrier. Its not worth the work unless you like to tinker with stuff and know what your doing. I have one that is the opposite of what you want. a 223 turned into a 5.45. But I bought it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

How many rounds do you plan on shooting? For the price of surplus ammo you can't beat it. You can get 2160 rounds for around 238 bucks given the site you go to. You won't find ammo prices like that for any other round except for maybe .22 And Hornady is the only domestic manufacturer I know of right now, but it's becoming more popular since AR-15 platforms are now starting to use it. Your rifle will not be in danger of being a wall hanger. If you are truly afraid of that though, you can always buy an AR-15. That way you could change out the uppers at will from 5.45 to 5.56.

Edited by incognito485