5.45 terminal performance

From member VORON on TheAkForum

-distance : about 70 yards

-(1) phone book that blew up trifold after being completely submerged in water for 10 mins, about 10 inches total

-3 3/4 inch boards of various density

-16 inch AKS-74

A) 1985 7N6

decent size entrance

bullet007.jpg

begin to tumble about 3 inched in, sideways at this point

bullet010.jpg

exit hole out of the phone book

bullet011.jpg

complete penetration through 1st wood

bullet012.jpg

second layer

bullet013.jpg

third (notice the bullet is sideways again) and gone

bullet014.jpg

very impressive

B ) Hornady new load 60 gr V-max

entrance (wow smaller then 7N6)

bullet015.jpg

holy shit check out this rapid expansion

bullet016.jpg

bullet017.jpg

bullet020.jpg

exit hole and into the first board

bullet022.jpg

NOPE, didnt go through the first board

bullet023.jpg

stopped there

bullet024.jpg

interesting- exit hole side by side

left (7N6) right (Hornady)

bullet025.jpg

C) Shitty Tiger 59 gr FMJ

entrance

bullet026.jpg

exellent penetration thats about it

bullet027.jpg

exit hole into first board

bullet029.jpg

totally through the 1st board

bullet030.jpg

second and third

bullet031-1.jpg

bullet032.jpg

D) Wolf 60 gr HP

entrance

bullet033.jpg

A few inches in

untitled.jpg

A little further

littlefurther.jpg

little better expansion

betterexpansion.jpg

betterexpension1.jpg

further

further.jpg

succesfully though the first board and into the second

1-2.jpg

and this is the other side of the second board NO EXIT

noexit.jpg

Edited by Arik

Any key-holing? A buddy of mine has one and some bullets definitely hit sideways, on target, but sideways.

5.45 doesn't keyhole in flight, it tumbles after hitting due to the hollow nose and long bullet design. If it's hitting sideways something is wrong with the rifle.

Do you have anymore details on your buddy's rifle?

Z

I don't believe so. I know he helped build the AKS. If he had key holding he definitely would have posted it.

TX ZEN im pretty sure you seen that rifle. Belongs to the guy who hosted your winter AK skrimish in Pa

Edited by Arik

Any key-holing? A buddy of mine has one and some bullets definitely hit sideways, on target, but sideways.

5.45 doesn't keyhole in flight, it tumbles after hitting due to the hollow nose and long bullet design. If it's hitting sideways something is wrong with the rifle.

Do you have anymore details on your buddy's rifle?

Z

Other than it being a beat up junker, no. But he loves it so it's all good.

I don't believe so. I know he helped build the AKS. If he had key holding he definitely would have posted it.

TX ZEN im pretty sure you seen that rifle. Belongs to the guy who hosted your winter AK skrimish in Pa

Yes I know Voron very well, he's a great guy and did a super job hosting the class in PA. His ballistic testing is very cool and the article he wrote on his Hornady testing was really really good.

Saw the rifle too which was cool :)

Still curious on what's wrong with Tool's buddy's rifle though. Something sounds off.

Z

Yes I know Voron very well, he's a great guy and did a super job hosting the class in PA. His ballistic testing is very cool and the article he wrote on his Hornady testing was really really good.

Saw the rifle too which was cool :)

Still curious on what's wrong with Tool's buddy's rifle though. Something sounds off.

Z

Rusty, dirty, neglected. Other than that I don't think anything is "wrong" with it. It's an AK, it functions every time you pull the trigger. He never knew how to take the cover off until I showed him on my S12 last fall, and I know he's had it for years. I'm not to concerned about it, since it's not mine and I really don't have a whole lot of experience with his gun. I don't think he's too concerned either, as long as it goes bang when he pulls the switch. He's just that type of guy. The other day is the second time I ever fired it and it grouped minute of pie plate at 100 yards with open sights, but some of them were definitely key-holed on the paper. We were using some hollow point surplus ammo from centerfire systems dot com. No FTFs.

For what it's worth, I'm not thrilled about the 5.45 round to begin with, but anyone else who is, that's ok. I just feel that if I'm spending my money on a rifle and ammo, I want a lot more ft.lbs. of knock-down power that that particular round.

^ 375 remington ultra mag. The primary use of this cartridge should be hunting large, thick-skinned game. It is powerful enough to kill any land animal and, with its high velocity, can do so at fairly long ranges. :D

Or .44 mag. These are some recovered bullets from that day, that were laying on the surface after the snow melted. I wish i had saved the paper target. The .44 mag was from a Ruger carbine and all five bullets were laying next to right each other. For hunting I stay with the old faithfull 30-30, but plan to get a .308 this year. Perhaps a Saiga!

post-23857-0-05260400-1302291919_thumb.jpg

I've read about some of the Bulgy 5.45's (Century Arms builds) having barrel issues which caused key holing. On another forum one individual fixed the issue by replacing the barrel.

BTW: Thanks for sharing the images on the 5.45 Arik.

Edited by NM0

I've read about some of the Bulgy 5.45's (Century Arms builds) having barrel issues which caused key holing. On another forum one individual fixed the issue by replacing the barrel.

BTW: Thanks for sharing the images on the 5.45 Arik.

Yes. It is a Bulgarian. Not all of the shot key-holed. I'll estimate about 30%. Here's one that didn't. I turned it a little each photo. It's cool to see the striations where it went though whatever it went through (crusty snow I think).

post-23857-0-83724300-1302294036_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-06584000-1302294078_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-10255200-1302294104_thumb.jpg

Yeah from what I have read they don't key hole every time. Did a bit of research on them before I picked up a Saiga 5.45. Not all the Centuries are problematic but you don't really read about the good ones, just the problem ones.

If your buddy is fine with its performance, that's all that matters.

Cool pics.

For what it's worth, I'm not thrilled about the 5.45 round to begin with, but anyone else who is, that's ok. I just feel that if I'm spending my money on a rifle and ammo, I want a lot more ft.lbs. of knock-down power that that particular round.

im just curious man, did you have higher or lower expectations?

i tend to shoot more hard targets with my sgl. i got into the habit when i started shooting my mosin a few years back. from what i learned, using 7n6 ammo, from around 60 yards, the 5.45 that i have cleanly makes swiss cheese of 1/4 inch steel plate that i get from work that are made to hold up roll-up doors, plus some minor things behind. ill post pics i have when get some new batteries in my camera. i found it interesting that the hornady polymer tips went through the plate as well. i wasnt expecting it to. but it performed ok as far as accuracy and reliablity went. but between the hornady and the 7n6, they are two different bullet types and will perform differently. what i want is to get some gelatin blocks and test the two side by side. im curious to see how the hornady performs next to the 7n6.

im just curious man, did you have higher or lower expectations?

i tend to shoot more hard targets with my sgl. i got into the habit when i started shooting my mosin a few years back. from what i learned, using 7n6 ammo, from around 60 yards, the 5.45 that i have cleanly makes swiss cheese of 1/4 inch steel plate that i get from work that are made to hold up roll-up doors, plus some minor things behind. ill post pics i have when get some new batteries in my camera. i found it interesting that the hornady polymer tips went through the plate as well. i wasnt expecting it to. but it performed ok as far as accuracy and reliablity went. but between the hornady and the 7n6, they are two different bullet types and will perform differently. what i want is to get some gelatin blocks and test the two side by side. im curious to see how the hornady performs next to the 7n6.

Really 1/4" isn't much, the 5.45 is designed to penetrate 3/8" and it still travels a little bit after that.

i wanna try it on 2 of the 1/4" plates bolted together.

I've done that on 2 plates welded together. Did my old WASR and a buddy's AR side by side. Neither penetrated with one shot, but I'd stand behind the plates with an AR firing before I'd do it with 7.62x39 coming at me.

Here are some photos

Entry

100_1605.jpg

No Exit. Some punched a hole when two shots were touching.

100_1606.jpg

From what I understand, some of the CAI 5.45's were fitted with .223 barrels... just that little bit of difference (5.45 vs. 5.56) and you get those inconsistant key-holes.

-ASC

From what I understand, some of the CAI 5.45's were fitted with .223 barrels... just that little bit of difference (5.45 vs. 5.56) and you get those inconsistant key-holes.

-ASC

Yup, read the barrels being fitted with wrong ones more than once. Also came across some topics about ones that had plenty of miles on them even though they were 5.45's.

Some new bulgy replacement barrels were going around recently. That fixed one fellows rifle up real quick. Not just solving key hole but also improving accuracy.

The only thing left is a .223 shot and an x39 shot, just for comparison. If anyone wants I'll post those up. Otherwise that is it atm.

definately would be interested in seeing those as well.. Did you do any 7.62 MC?