Drill bit type for receiver

Ok so the trigger guard I picked up didnt have a safety stop.

So instead of welding one on, I decide to try the drill a #43 hole and tap using 4-40..

However my titanium drill bit was no match for mutant Russian steel...

...what drill bit do I use to get through this stuff?

I went to Lowes and they didnt have a cobalt #43 bit...they did have a 2mm bit

I can use the 2mm cobalt to do a pilot hole then widen using the #43 titanium?

Possibly it will work. Be warned, I have tried to drill into a trigger guard once and even cobalt was no match for it. I had to heat the part and let it cool to un-harden it, then drill, then reheat and quench. I don't know what those Russians do to their steel but it is amazing...

Carbide drill(not cheap), lots of cutting oil, light pressure, slow drill speed

I agree, what we like to do at our company to drill holes the most efficient way is to adjust our speed until we get the longest shavings. If you go too fast you burn up your bit, too slow and, well, you'll be there all freakin' day... I don't know what the Russians do either, I think they use Chuck Norris' sweat to treat their steel...

• Like 1

this tells me you don't know what you have. no such thing as a titanium drill bit.

Use cobalt, slow speed, and drill/tap fluid as mentioned above. Or you could crank up the speed and harden the metal even more and fight yourself.

• Like 1

this tells me you don't know what you have. no such thing as a titanium drill bit.

Use cobalt, slow speed, and drill/tap fluid as mentioned above. Or you could crank up the speed and harden the metal even more and fight yourself.

Um..by Titanium I mean titanium coated....I would figure that would be obvious...sheez....nerd rage on me for not being 100% verbose in my post why dont you....

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202019930&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=202019930&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202019930&locStoreNum=6514

just sayin' is all... :lolol:

Ok so the trigger guard I picked up didnt have a safety stop.

So instead of welding one on, I decide to try the drill a #43 hole and tap using 4-40..

...what drill bit do I use to get through this stuff?

I went to Lowes and they didnt have a cobalt #43 bit...they did have a 2mm bit

I can use the 2mm cobalt to do a pilot hole then widen using the #43 titanium?

To drill through the spot weld, you have to start with a small bit and work up to the correct size.

I normally go through 3 sizes to get the weld drilled, and its much easier then trying to do it with just one size bit.

Picked up this tip from a metal mangler(sheetmetal tech) who had hell drilling off the trigger plate.

Like stated above, it's all about going slow with the drill bit otherwise you work harden it.

It's all about knowing how to use one's tools, not which tools one has.

If anyone has issues drilling, put your drill press on it's slowest speed & use a bit of cutting oil.

I drill through 1/4" plate without issues all day long like that when I'm building 4x4 winch bumpers.

I got a set of cheap drill bits from walmart that work wonders on it...

Just normal skill bits labeled for metal. Took me about 2 seconds to plunge through the receiver.

Previous experience was using about 10 bits to make a shallow cavity.

Edited by Tombs

Ummm, you do know that the DeWalt drill bit isn't titanium, right? :rolleyes:

The above poster is right, you may want to use a centerdrill to keep the bit from walking on you.

Well, if you had bothered to actually READ and COMPREHEND the link, it clearly says "titanium coated" which is naturally assumed when someone says, "titanium drill bit." Then there are people like you, who like to argue semantics, until you run into people like me, who argue semantics back with the same blind close-mindedness as you... :haha:

The above poster is right, you may want to use a centerdrill to keep the bit from walking on you.

Well, if you had bothered to actually READ and COMPREHEND the link, it clearly says "titanium coated" which is naturally assumed when someone says, "titanium drill bit." Then there are people like you, who like to argue semantics, until you run into people like me, who argue semantics back with the same blind close-mindedness as you... :haha:

Guess it's the difference between owning a Bridgeport and a Craftsman benchtop drill press. Not trying to be a dick, but it's harder to understand and help with a problem when incorrect terms are used.

FWIW, i know a little about machining. LOL. You can argue semantics all you want. If you want to argue machining and terminology, let's go. :smoke:

Guess it's the difference between owning a Bridgeport and a Craftsman benchtop drill press. Not trying to be a dick, but it's harder to understand and help with a problem when incorrect terms are used.

FWIW, i know a little about machining. LOL. You can argue semantics all you want. If you want to argue machining and terminology, let's go. :smoke:

Good for you, I bet that makes you feel all warm and cozy when you go to sleep at night, Sparky, but fact of the matter is, they are titanium coated and they say titanium drill bit right on the package, Tiger.

Just thought I would post an update...

I went back to Lowes, grabbed a 2mm cobalt drill bit and some cutting oil...

Drilled it light and slow and it went through great...then redrilled using the #43 bit.

Added alittle more oil then tapped the hole by hand....

Came out great...thanks for the advice guys,especially pauly...cheers

Edited by Xitesmai