first time shooting 308

had my saiga 308 for 3 years and finally got around to shooting it last weekend,still unconverted,thought i could live with the trigger(not),it shot pretty well except after about 20 rounds the tin cover came flying off ,i latched it on good and it did it several more times.it fits kind of lose just wondering if anyone had a similar problem .i thought i would buy a buffer and i ordered a texas weapons system cover for it, will convert it in a couple of weeks

post-6306-0-40887300-1302399030_thumb.jpg

Three years? Wow! I think you've given a whole new meaning to the phrase Hold your fire!

I'm assuming you have other weapons that kept you occupied in the interim. If not, my sympathies.

Anyway, the steel (not tin) cover should stay in place regardless. I haven't heard of anyone with a similar problem. It doesn't really matter though if you have a Texas Dog Leg on the way. I'm pretty sure that one is going to stay in place. I agree with you opinion on the trigger 100%. I can only wonder what the designer was thinking at the time.

Enjoy your conversion, I can't think of a more deserving recipient than the 308.

Saiga 308s have this extra part, which swings around on a pin that goes through the dust cover "button" assembly. This part prevents the bolt from traveling too far back. Make sure that the pin didn't come out and you have this part attached. Also, make sure that nothing is keeping the hammer from going all the way down. Tho, usually, when you have either of these issues, the bolt carrier comes off its rails and gets stuck in the back too.

By the way, is that TWS Dogleg Rail system out of "beta" yet? Does it still require extensive fitting?

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

post-6306-0-38013300-1302562141_thumb.jpgtwo new babies and a 1000 mile move with no where to shoot,although i did work on my mini 14 and a couple of other guns to keep me sane!!

SpetsnazGRU,the pin is there and i have no other issue's with it the bolt always returns .i think it is out of beta,im about two weeks from getting it,the reports on ar board is they are working well without alot of fitment problems and holding 0.will order some conv. parts during week also need to get a drum for my s12.

Edited by dwg1

two new babies and a 1000 mile move with no where to shoot,although i did work on my mini 14 and a couple of other guns to keep me sane!!

SpetsnazGRU,the pin is there and i have no other issue's with it the bolt always returns .i think it is out of beta,im about two weeks from getting it,the reports on ar board is they are working well without alot of fitment problems and holding 0.will order some conv. parts during week also need to get a drum for my s12.

Let us know how the Dodleg works for you. I am thinking about getting one myself.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I agree with you opinion on the trigger 100%. I can only wonder what the designer was thinking at the time.

Simple. They said they wish they could use a regular semi FCG in this gun, & send it over to the States in normal AK configuration, but because of Draconian US import laws, we'll install this crappy trigger system to make US Customs happy. Most buyers will install a G-2 FCG, so it really doesn't matter that we're installing this junk FCG. The Russians know the gun is a Trojan Horse, & looks that way to make it importable into the States, where Americans will restore the gun to look like the Russian AK it should look like. Seriously, how many people leave their Saiga bone stock? 2%? GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE

I agree with you opinion on the trigger 100%. I can only wonder what the designer was thinking at the time.

Simple. They said they wish they could use a regular semi FCG in this gun, & send it over to the States in normal AK configuration, but because of Draconian US import laws, we'll install this crappy trigger system to make US Customs happy. Most buyers will install a G-2 FCG, so it really doesn't matter that we're installing this junk FCG. The Russians know the gun is a Trojan Horse, & looks that way to make it importable into the States, where Americans will restore the gun to look like the Russian AK it should look like. Seriously, how many people leave their Saiga bone stock? 2%? GARY N4KVE

What I meant was they could have used something similar to the trigger setup in other Saigas. Neither my 12 or my 223 had that bad of a trigger, pre-conversion.