galil steels came in

just take them apart and good ole fashion dish soap and water first, dry them really well then use gun solvent (mine had some gummy residue on the sides and the spring), then a good wipe down and you should be good to paint. i was going to paint but i kinda dig the beat up (bobba fett kinda cool) look on an ak. on a side note a few of my steel mags would hang up when feeding from the right side (bullet facing away from you) so i took a dremmel with a small long grinding wheel that was about the diameter of a casing and ground the lips down a bit from the bottom side. it did the trick and now the rounds strip right off with no problems. enjoy the 35 rounds. to me it's not quite an ak if you're using plastic mags, but that's just me

I did the same as hogslayer as far as the cleaning... The only other thing I would mention is to inspect the springs to make sure they are good. I have had great experiences with my steel galils.

On a side note- the ones I got the last time from the same non site vendor were South African R4 mags, not IMI Galil mags. I know- the R4 is the Vektor liscensed Galil, but I wanted that IMI stamp! Are yours IMI stamped? I may have to order more! Potterfield is a douche, and I don't like to give him my money often, but one can never have too many spare mags!

I painted a few of mine too- just one coat, and a rough one at that, and it somehow made the already matte finish even more dull, which is good. I used an OD Green paint. Another interesting sidenote is that regular Magpuls fit these mags just fine, if that's your sort of thing. I just tried one at a gunshow recently, but still couldn't rationalize spending money for something to replace my old paracord and 100mph tape version that was free and is perfectly functional. Just FYI.

I too agree that the steel mags "legitimize" the look of the AK. Enjoy the extra 5!

If you've got a dial caliper, be sure to check the spacing of the lips. I had one magazine that simply would not feed from the starboard side. When I checked the distance between the feed lips, it was way out of spec compared to my Tapco Galil magazines and factory Saiga magazine. I pinched them back together with my bench vise, and now it feeds regularly provided I don't wobble it excessively to one side.

And I've had no problems with Midway or its founder. As near as I can tell, the company runs very efficiently and stands behind its products.