Anyone try this ammo?

Yeah I didn't think I could ever go wrong with HP rounds. Just got to thinking and wasn't sure about the 62GR. I think my S12 is a Arsenal but my .223 is not either way sure hope they get off their butts I need that ammo by this weekend!:killer: I wish I could have ordered everything I got from the same company but I unfortunately had to go through 3 different companies to get my order in. Thanks for the info Koljec!

• 3 weeks later...

62 grain is bigger and you know better cause army went in with nato and they decided to use the 62 grain and it shoots decent. The jacket is usually to thick on the bullet for it to mushroom just makes a nice splat. YMMV.

Wolf in the pseudo name given to the importer. It's russian steel case ammo. Nothing wrong with it at all. I shoot primarily russian steel case ammo in all my .223. Including my AR15's. You just aren't going to reload it. And because it's steel case, it doesn't expand as well as brass. Therefor, you get a little more blowback along the side of the case. TRANSLATION: It dirties the chamber a little more. Just clean the rifle more often.

Oh; and for what it's worth, the barrel twist on a saiga .223 isn't 1:8. It's 1:9. Actually, it's a little over 1:9, but closer to 1:9 than 1:10.

62-grain .223 bullets don't stabilize well with a 1 in 12" twist (it's why the Army couldn't use SAW ammo in M16A1s). I'm not sure how well they'll do with a 1 in 9+" or whatever the standard is for Saigas. Long bullets like more twist, say, 1 in 7".

Should be fine for shorter ranges, out to about 200 yards. beyond that, I need a range report!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I went to the range with my 62 grain Tula HP. It was a jam session. I think it is a combination of the HPs and my Tapco Galil mags. The Tapcos work fine with 55 grain FMH Brown Bear and PMC, but the HPs kept hitting the chamber face about every 3 rounds. I could pull back the bolt and let go, and it was fine to shoot, but I am going to have to do something. I thing the Tapco Galil mags may sit a tad low and contributing to the issue. I am going to suck it up and get some Circle 10 mags to try.

Ok, I went to the range with my 62 grain Tula HP. It was a jam session. I think it is a combination of the HPs and my Tapco Galil mags. The Tapcos work fine with 55 grain FMH Brown Bear and PMC, but the HPs kept hitting the chamber face about every 3 rounds. I could pull back the bolt and let go, and it was fine to shoot, but I am going to have to do something. I thing the Tapco Galil mags may sit a tad low and contributing to the issue. I am going to suck it up and get some Circle 10 mags to try.

I have not had any time to try my tapco galil but I will now to see if I get the same issues...

• 3 months later...

Saigas are commonly 1:9.5 twist but the bore dimensions are on the tighter side.

Bi-metal bullets and steel core bullets tend to be longer than traditional bullets due to steels lesser density.

The plus is the longer bullet can increase the ballistic coefficient and increase the performance and accuracy at longer distances.

As far as the 62gr HP its a trail and error situation but if your gun likes it keep using it.

Small side note the powder and charge weight on that ammo is fairly inconsistent so expect a greater chance of fliers.

I have almost decided (that sounds authoritative doesn't it), that it might be an action issue rather than a bullte issue. It may be a combination of the 2 actually. Follow this logic...

I think it may be the bolt carrier is dragging a bit, and slowing down before closing. When I hand cycle, there are no issues, but I am also pulling the carrier all the way back. If the TULA is a little underpowered, or inconsistent as you say, this could cause the bolt to not go all the way back or back far enough. When I have had jams, I can often pull the handle back and re-cycle the round that got stuck.

I got some circle 10 mags and I am having the issue, but not as bad. I re-filed a couple of them and now I have 2 of the 4 100%. 1 I will say is probably 100%, but I would not bet my life on it. I have taken a look at the other, and tried to get it more consistent with the others. I think it will be good.

I have allso polished the bolt bottom, and the carrier, and the hammer. I did just a little light sanding (nothing read aggressive) and then used a wheel on my Dremel that is like a stiff Scotch Brite pad. I smoothed out the surfaces. I also applied some Militec to the inards to see if this will help.

I will let you know what I find.

I have heard that the Tapco G2 hammer sits a tad higher. It probably does not make as big of a difference on a 7.62 x 39 with the increased recoil, but it may on my .223. I think this will take care of it, but I will have to see.

I should be going this weekend.